Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM

68 posts, read 148,319 times

Advertisements

@Sobroguy @JBronxite ... No problem... It is very exciting indeed.... We all Love it!!! As we patiently wait :-) ... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Bronx Spirale

The New Housing New York Legacy Project in 2006 was won by Dattner Architects and Grimshaw Architects. This winning project, located in the South Bronx and comprised of affordable housing with a co-op and medical center, will be built under Mayor Bloomberg's 10-year New Housing Marketplace initiative.

The project was part of a conference called Fit City 2: Promoting Physical Activity Through Design. As can be seen from the rendering above, the project is emblematic of attempts at incorporating physical activity via a series of stepped roof gardens and a central courtyard. The project also features a fitness center (as part of the medical component) to give residents the opportunities they might not otherwise have in affordable housing.

While the merits of the projects are clear, and it is deserving of first place in the competition, it seems very familiar to me. That's because it reminds me of Hundertwasser's Waldspirale in Darmstadt, Germany (show inset below with the Dattner/Grimshaw model on display at the Center).

Each project spirals about a central courtyard, ascending as it turns clockwise; each project uses a green roof as a common space. Of course the biggest difference between the two is the way Dattner/Grimshaw's project -- arising from a Modernist vocabulary of orthogonal planes, most clearly shown in the model -- steps at the green roof, unlike the gradual climb of the Waldspirale. While adjacent roofs will be accessible via stairs, this vertical separation seems like a missed opportunity (though perhaps intentionally so if they were inspired by the German development and didn't want to repeat it too closely), especially when one notices how the green patterns in the model continue from one step to another. This stepping is also indicative of Modernist planning, that separates uses, in this case the community garden at the bottom of the model (colored boxes), the "party terrace" at the top of the tower, and recreational green in between.

The architect from Dattner's office admitted at the conference that while the competition asked for the project to be a template of sorts, the winning design is highly site-specific (like Waldspirale) and therefore cannot be directly exported to other locations. But certain principles and elements can be exported, including the green roof as communal space, a good idea that will need a great deal of resident involvement over time to be successful as Hundertwasser's project is today.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 AM

95 posts, read 259,684 times
It's about to be mid July, My question is...where's the buyers frustration?

I'm sure its already set in and now its pretty much a waiting game. Especially after the spot checks and seeing that your spaces are ready to move into. Even more after seeing the recent press(thanks for sharing DownTownBX). I'm sure the question is scrolling like a marquee constantly across your minds..."where's the updates for the buyers?"..."how about setting realistic expected move in dates?"

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM

140 posts, read 395,611 times
Hey everyone!! Hope the renters are settling in nicely and hopefully the owners will be soon.. I was actually able to attend the ceremony for Via Verde but only because I bumped into a friend that works for HUD who also attended.. Tenants weren't "allowed" to attend but I'm sure we can all set something up when the time is right for our own "welcoming party.." Surprisingly, the building still feels relatively empty.. It takes a little longer for the elevator to come but when I mean longer, I mean from what used to be 20 seconds to now a mere minute.. I thought more residents would have moved in by now but guess I was mistaken. The noise level outside is mostly quiet and when it is not, I simply close my windows and that quickly solves the problem.. But it's mostly from ppl walking/passing by the building.. Haven't seen any loitering as of yet..

Cannot complain at all at this time.. I've become acquainted with the super and guards.. Only minor issue.. I HATE the paint on my walls.. Will be painting ASAP..

Time to plan for my house warming so I can receive some FREE gifts!!!

Hopefully the owners will be settled by the end of August as I was told.. Good luck!!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM

25 posts, read 43,338 times
Ugh... So impatient... Starting to feel like we'll NEVER get to move in I know I am being over dramatic, but I am so ready to move already!!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsinger View Post
Ugh... So impatient... Starting to feel like we'll NEVER get to move in I know I am being over dramatic, but I am so ready to move already!!
Yea it is painfully slow but still we must have patience and be prepared for the final step . It will happen so i put it out of my mind and work on other things . I can't be any more prepared so i take my mind somewhere else and wait. :0) . Hang in There NYCsinger it will be over soon....

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 PM

By the way the last few days when i am doing my walking which takes me past Via Verde I noticed that the Real estate office has shut down and closed shop. Furniture moved next door to apt for storage and sign removed. So all indications are that we are in the final stages. I assume once everyone is ready to close then they will set the closing dates. So owners should make every effort to fulfill all the requirements for their Bank Loan commitment and other requirements for down payment Grants or Loans if applicable. And all things required for closing as outlined in your commitment letter. Then we can get ready for the landing in Via Verde.... Soon hopefully :-)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM

95 posts, read 259,684 times
DownTownBX & other buyers: My friends sister in law just went about a week ago on her first interview to buy(my guess is they are closing in on having 100% occupancy, which is great), she heard that buyers won't be moving in till December. This feels like there is a lack of clear communication on setting a realistic closing date or their progress, if I were buying I'd feel like getting a layer(well maybe not). Patience y'all.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

42 posts, read 80,881 times
You're right DownTownBX. We can use this time to get our business and finances in order. However, like the others, I'm frustrated.

I was told by my R.E. lawyer that we will know something in the beginning of August. Also, that most likely, we won't need 30 day advance notice for closing because most people are ready to move now.

My whole summer is on hold because of this process. I suspended my vacation, I'm being very thirfty with my spending and I spend all my extra time packing and other related stuff. I just want to be done with this all so I can relax and enjoy the rest of my summer.

End of Story!

Old 07-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTaz10451 View Post
You're right DownTownBX. We can use this time to get our business and finances in order. However, like the others, I'm frustrated.

I was told by my R.E. lawyer that we will know something in the beginning of August. Also, that most likely, we won't need 30 day advance notice for closing because most people are ready to move now.

My whole summer is on hold because of this process. I suspended my vacation, I'm being very thirfty with my spending and I spend all my extra time packing and other related stuff. I just want to be done with this all so I can relax and enjoy the rest of my summer.

End of Story!
Yea so do I. Yea i think we will hear something in August about a closing date. My summer is on hold also. Missed a Family Reunion in Vegas in July now not sure if the Mid Sept Vacation will be possible. Looking forward to getting it done and can plan from there. Yes i want to enjoy some summer also. December sounds unrealistic and wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to put off to December the closing. So we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery