Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Actually...I did start a thread just like that. Awhile back, I inquired whether 100th street and oh, I forget what avenue, was safe. I had to go there for a party late at night so wanted to know how was the general area. I described how I look, my level of street smarts and the fact that I recently almost got mugged so I was feeling particularly sensitive and I got about 10 responses all saying "it's perfectly safe...why would I think otherwise, that there was a lot of foot traffic, stores around there and some even chimed I would love it up there". They were right. I was glad I asked. I felt perfectly fine.

Someone also mentioned why not google if a certain area is safe rather than ask on this board. Well, I did just that and the top search entry led me to a thread on...NY City Data. That's how I found about this board in the first place. I started reading other threads, found most of them informative so I stuck around and the rest is history.

If I'm attending a party or an event and I'm not familiar with the area, I'll ask around if it's okay. Mainly, I want to know if it's desolate. I find desolate areas unsafe and for that reason I am uncomfortable walking around midtown and Park Avenue late, late at night by myself because parts of it are dimly lit and dead. I live in Midtown so people ask me how safe is it late at night and I answer, not very esp. if you're female and by yourself. I don't like walking around the UES late at night for that same reason. And awhile back ago there were instances of women getting raped around that area and I remember not being all that surprised. It's dead up there at night particularly around York.

So, yeah. If I'm not familiar with an area I'll generally ask how is the neighborhood so I can assess whether or not I'd feel comfortable walking around or if I should cab it. And I found City Data useful in that regard esp. when I ask friends/family/coworkers and they're like "ummm...I don't know".

Awhile ago, a guy asked on this forum how was Flatbush because he had to go to a concert I think late at night by himself. I found the answers he got pretty useful because I had a similar question.

Yeah but you asked because you absolutely had no clue, or you had a feeling the area might have been unsafe? Be honest, I won't judge.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I find that many places further from Manhattan are safer (i.e., Midwood, Bensonhurst, Rego Park, etc.), but Parkchester is both far from Manhattan AND not that safe. So...what's the appeal?
You can pay just a little more and buy a studio in a safer neighborhood that is even closer to a subway line. And in a building that certainly has amenities like a laundry room (!) - MOST buildings in NYC do have laundry rooms - and maybe even more than just a laundry room. I just don't see the appeal...
I gave Reps.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
7th Floor - I am not a spoiled transplant brat, but a person who left a country that was sliding into a war (and I never returned to where I came from, I was last there in 1986 and do not think I'll go there ever again), I left with no money at all, completed very advanced education in the US on $8,000 per year research stipends, and made money with which I now do whatever I want to do. I want to travel the world after I retire (I have already done a lot of that, but I want more), and do not want to spend excessive $ on a home condo where I will not stay all that much throughout the year, yet I want to live in NYC. Read my previous posts. You are totally prejudicial about me (without knowing anything about me, really), and then blame ME for your own prejudices. Great.

I had some money to park somewhere, and I parked it in Parkchester. I am aware that safety of neighborhoods fluctuates over time, and am just keeping an eye on my retirement plans while at the same time trying to point out Parkchester to people that I would like to have as neighbors. I am not in any way a racist, do not believe Michelle Obama Esq or Ben Carson MD snatch purses, and would like to have people like them as neighbors. I find questions about any neighborhood safety, coming from anybody, totally legitimate. If Parkchester proves not to work out, I'll live somewhere else. But I do like Parkchester, just would like it better with zero crime and totally trustworthy neighbors.
Once again, you made a good purchase. I'm just not sure you knew what exactly you were buying into, we're here to tell you, that's all. If you feel like I am coming at you in any way I apologize, but my intent is to not be tongue-in-cheek with you. I'm just telling you like it is.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
So you’re really not going to google and see if what you said is true. Alrighty then.

Do you realize that you lack experience in this matter? From what you have posted in the past, you grew up in an area with above-average levels of crime and then purchased in an area with above-average levels of crime and where you had some familiarity. You don’t have experience moving to brand new areas. Safety is very much a common thing to bring up. I actually don’t know what else I can say. This has come up a few times recently and it may just be one of those things that you have to experience to understand.
Right.

What does familiarity mean?

I know the guy who's robbing me, as opposed to I don't know him?

Exactly my point, we can't gauge somebody's comfort level.

From now on, I'm just going to tell them to check Compstat if they're worried about getting their Tory Burch snatched.

A few years ago, me and Checkmatechamp made safety/comfort level maps of the entire city! We solicited advice from the board too.....

Don't talk about your MoD like that, there's actually few neighborhoods in this city I haven't been to.

I think hanging out in some areas is actually worse than living there on a day-to-day, because you'll be seen as an outsider.

You really have no clue.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've only wondered about crime being an issue in areas that I was ignorant about or had preconceived notions.
Say it again

Who the hell comes on here and asks if Park Slope is safe at 3 AM

I've never even seen somebody ask if Staten Island is safe

It's mainly neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn that people ask about that are getting gentrified

Its really not a big deal though, just wish people were more transparent when posting. You get out what you put in.

Ahh humans....

Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Of course it's disgusting, and I seriously think you should send a letter to Albany describing your housing problems with respect to Section 8 inflating the rents. But the situation with my tenant also shows you why honest work and solid upright citizenship actually pays in the end and helps build up a solid community. The arrangement between my tenant and me, which has now been going for a few years and will continue, is obviously great for both of us, and makes you wonder why people try so hard to screw each other in these financial transactions instead of making it easy and great for each other. I do think you might be able to find another private owner like me in Parkchester who would rent you below market (I think you would have to go through a realtor, which is unfortunately associated with a fee), explain your situation, show a good work history and references, show that you are trustworthy, and I am confident you'll find a landlord who will drop the rent to $1,100. Most decent landlords would much rather have a solid long-term tenant who always pays a reduced rent on the 1st of the month and takes good care of the unit, than some shady Section 8 type who brings a $1,500 voucher but does $150,000 worth of damage to the unit and will then try to sue the landlord because the unit is damaged.
You should help Aquarius elnrbgy, maybe there's somebody in your same predicament.....and he's willing to pay more

but he has a dog, I dont know Parkchester's rules on pets

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Then, they ask if the neighborhood is safe, and have no street smarts - at that point it doesnt even matter!

people with street smarts dont even ask if places are safe, think about it

I'm just speaking the truth

New Year New MoD

Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,632 times
I thought there'd be popcorn...

Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I thought there'd be popcorn...

Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Then, they ask if the neighborhood is safe, and have no street smarts - at that point it doesnt even matter!

people with street smarts dont even ask if places are safe, think about it

I'm just speaking the truth

New Year New MoD
It also depends if you're moving to another city and don't know the city at all, and even more so if you are moving to a different city in a different country.

I'm out of the country a lot, and when I've gone to places like Bogota, Colombia people told me what areas of the city were safe and what areas weren't.

Also I looked up reviews on the places I was renting, to see how people felt about the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City