Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I know nothing about this project but would it be able to stop at the existing LIRR stations in Woodside and LIC?
Reading is fundamental...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Reading is fundamental...
You can be a bit bitchy sometimes but I had to rep you for that.

One didn't even need to read the article to know this answer.
All you had to do was look at the pretty colorful picture.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Huge huge huge waste of money. I have some major disagreements with DeBlasio but one thing I do agree with him is that NYC residents fund the vast majority of the MTA’s budget, Therefore projects that benefit NYc residents should take priority. East side access and Penn Station Access both will take more than 15 billion dollars, money that could have been better spent finishing the second ave Subway. All future capital construction projects should be solely focused on NYCT projects. We need to stop subsidizing and improving the commutes of suburban counties that fight MTA funding tooth and nail.

Note: I am not sayin that absolutely no NYC resident would benefit from this project, but other projects on hold would serve a vast majority of NYC residents more. This project is mostly beneficial to suburban commuters.
This benefits Bronx residents and passengers who regularly travel to and from New Haven.

Passengers took about 8.1 million rides to and from Bronx stations on Metro-North last year, and about two-thirds travel to points north: places like White Plains, Stamford, and Greenwich, according to William Wheeler, the director of special project development and planning at the MTA.

"This is the largest reverse commute market that we know of in the United States,” he said, “and it’s grown 150% since 1990.”

https://www.wnyc.org/story/217517-bl...-commute-rise/

The entire project is encapsulated in this report.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/p...tro-north.page

This gets really into the meat about why. https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...troduction.pdf

This is a summary of it. http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/psa...ess_MTAweb.pdf

Old 02-23-2018, 03:27 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You can be a bit bitchy sometimes but I had to rep you for that.

One didn't even need to read the article to know this answer.
All you had to do was look at the pretty colorful picture.
The picture shows NEW stations. Doesn’t mention anything about existing stations.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
The picture shows NEW stations. Doesn’t mention anything about existing stations.
There are no existing stations, other than Penn. This would travel on the Amtrak line and add stations.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There are no existing stations, other than Penn. This would travel on the Amtrak line and add stations.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to roseba again."

He clearly didn't read or look at the picture correctly.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
As I said, I don’t know much about this project. But is it not connecting to and running along the existing LIRR tracks to go from Queens to Penn Station? There are currently LIRR stations in use at Woodside and LIC. It wouldn't require constructing new stations, would it? Maybe just additional boarding platforms? I'm asking, I have no idea.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
As I said, I don’t know much about this project. But is it not connecting to and running along the existing LIRR tracks to go from Queens to Penn Station? There are currently LIRR stations in use at Woodside and LIC. It wouldn't require constructing new stations, would it? Maybe just additional boarding platforms? I'm asking, I have no idea.
Why don't you read the damn proposal? Your laziness is beyond annoying.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
The issue with connecting to Woodside is that the tracks join the main line going to Penn Station after Woodside station.

The issue with the LIC and Hunterspoint stops are that those are terminal stations that those are stations that terminate in LIC rather than going into Penn Station. Perhaps it’s possible for those existing stations to be served and to go into Penn Station, but I’m not sure of it.

There really should be at least an intermediate station to serve LIC that goes to Penn Station though given the development there and doing so could help shift the land use towards a greater mix of commercial and office rather than all that residential.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The issue with connecting to Woodside is that the tracks join the main line going to Penn Station after Woodside station.

The issue with the LIC and Hunterspoint stops are that those are terminal stations that those are stations that terminate in LIC rather than going into Penn Station. Perhaps it’s possible for those existing stations to be served and to go into Penn Station, but I’m not sure of it.

There really should be at least an intermediate station to serve LIC that goes to Penn Station though given the development there and doing so could help shift the land use towards a greater mix of commercial and office rather than all that residential.
This one can't stop foaming at the mouth about a proposal that doesn't exist!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City