Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
It’s a tough call, but this could possibly be the dumbest/most ridiculous/unbelievable comment you have ever posted.

I checked to see if this even possible, looking for flights that would leave Orlando, for example, early enough to arrive at LGA, 6:00 am-8:31am, to commute to Midtown by 9:00 am and depart after the end of work day 5pm, 7:29 pm-10:32 pm and allow a commute back to LGA, say 30 minutes. You would have to allow arriving 2 hours before each flight, but say you could get away with 90 minutes. And the NPA Finance Guru would need say 20 minutes to commute each way in Orlando.

The earliest outbound flight I find on Expedia leaves ar 6:00 am & arrives at 8:31 am. Time 2:31
Return 7:29 pm - 10:32 pm. 3:03
Orlando commute :40
NYC commute. 1:00
90 minute arrival before each flight. 3:00
TOTAL TRAVEL TIME 10:14

TIME TO LEAVE HOME AND RETURN HOME ON THIS ITINERARY 3:20 am - 10:52 pm. Time at home 4 hrs, 28 min.
YOU DO THE MATH. IT CANT BE DONE WERE MR NPU FINANCE GURU COMMUNTED FROM ORLANDO.

Sorry Mr Ryu, but I have to call Total BS on this comment.
It was so dumb, ridiculous, unbelievable that you took the time to do research on it. (LOL). Like i stated this was on NPR and it was a story on super-commuters. I had no reason to not believe the story as super-commuting by air is becoming pretty common. The guy was not a entry to mid-level finance guy;he was a top level executive. The commute does work with a private plane + private car service.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...y-private-jet/

BBC - Capital - The man who takes a plane to work every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It was so dumb, ridiculous, unbelievable that you took the time to do research on it. (LOL). Like i stated this was on NPR and it was a story on super-commuters. I had no reason to not believe the story as super-commuting by air is becoming pretty common. The guy was not a entry to mid-level finance guy;he was a top level executive. The commute does work with a private plane + private car service.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...y-private-jet/

BBC - Capital - The man who takes a plane to work every day
That'll learn 'em.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Read the article. It's called super-commuting.
I read it and shared it on my Facebook. These people are clearly insane and it’s amazing that their managers would be ok with this is!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
The population of NYC is higher than all those cities. You also have to factor the amount of people that commute from NJ, CT, MA, PA, and NY for jobs in the city. You add 40 million annual tourist and this city becomes expensive, dirty, crowded, etc.

Not sure how that list was made but the quality of life is way different in Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland. The cost of living is pretty high in NYC and the quality of life can vary greatly depending on your income/education/etc.

Cool Map Overlays Show NYC's Size Compared To Other Major Cities -UpOut Blog
That's a cool map but comparing "greater London" with NYC is not a fair comparison. The Tri-State would be the equivalent to greater London.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Anybody ever look at how much apartments cost in London?

Well here's the formula, any apt in NYC, remove the dollar sign, put a euro, and now you have London apt prices. Now do the conversion and thats how much USD you will pay for a London apartment.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Anybody ever look at how much apartments cost in London?

Well here's the formula, any apt in NYC, remove the dollar sign, put a euro, and now you have London apt prices. Now do the conversion and thats how much USD you will pay for a London apartment.
Are these statistics based on the AMI of the area? Because you know living in Thailand is dirt cheap on an American income. Natives may not feel the same way.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
The better comparison would be Manhattan vs these places

Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Are these statistics based on the AMI of the area? Because you know living in Thailand is dirt cheap on an American income. Natives may not feel the same way.
I dont know. This is my own method. Go try it out and see.

London pricing has been like that for decades. Everything costs the same just switch the currency sign. Even clothes and video games. We had friends that lived in London and when they came here shopping was part of the reason for the trip, they killed it on the exchanges.

I'm surprised the Brits aren't buying more property here.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Lmfao what. Take a flight each day? You really didn’t take this guy serious did you?
Some people commute almost 3 hours to NYC you wouldn’t believe it

Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The better comparison would be Manhattan vs these places
Williamsburg is more expensive than the LES, and UWS and UES, among other Manhattan neighborhood. LIC is more expensive than UWS or UES. East River Brooklyn and East River Queens have lots of new buildings which are generally considerably more expensive than older buildings in Manhattan (of course Manhattan has lots of new buildings or renovated buildings in some areas).

Traditionally all the boroughs had more and rich areas. Upper Manhattan, LES, Chinatown, Hells Kitchen, and UWS were all historically poor. Meanwhile Queens always had well off areas like Rego Park, Forest Hills, and Kew Gardens. Astoria was never poor. Park Slope and areas around there had been nice for sometime in Brooklyn. Gentrification of course expanded the number of well off areas in the city, and it still is.

Any point 30 minutes or so to midtown or downtown is going to be pricey, and these days it does not matter if you are in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, or increasingly the South Bronx.

North Shore of Staten Island is doing pretty well near the ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City