Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well like i said , time will tell if he did the right thing or fixed something that was not broke and hurt us all . but so far all i see is a peeing contest with negative results on anyone with 401k's ,ira's or investments as he spooks markets more and more each week .

obviously if you don't have much at stake you wouldn't care , but many of us do . .
How ironic you would say that. Unless you are in the steel, automotive, manufacturing, energy, etc. industries you cannot claim to have a stake in it. These industries have been battered by cheap imports, cheap labor, currency manipulation, unfair trade practices that previous administrations ignored or happily supported all in the name of globalization.

401K’s, investments are just that, investments. It is placing a bet that when you sell you will have gained from when you bought in. It is not a guarantee that you will always make out on the positive. You and everyone going in knew that.

A great president does not only make decisions based on ensuring investors get a good return. He has to look out for the greater good of the country in the long term. If you are going to fix the trade imbalance with China, if you don’t do it now with an economy that is good, when will you ever do it? When we are in a recession?

Since you say you are not necessarily politically biased, then I suggest you stop watching the biased liberal mainstream media. Nothing Trump does will ever be talked about positively. It will always be spun negatively. Hence all the sheep here that hate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 08:55 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
really, i don't have a stake in his fumbles ? i am retired , 80% of my income every year is portfolio generated .

what this man does that effects my investments ,effects my income . those investments are the source of my pay check and millions of retirees at this stage.

i don't mind bear markets when they happen as part of the business cycle . they are always part of the deal .

but when one man does things that have a negative effect on things that did not have to be fixed it is no different than his actions forcing a pay cut on you at work .

if he did something that caused you to take a pay cut you can be sure you wouldn't be happy about what he did standing on "principal"

you won't be happy either when all the price increases erode your pay check either unnecessarily .

try taking principal to the super market !

Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
really, i don't have a stake in his fumbles ? i am retired , 80% of my income every year is portfolio generated .

what this man does that effects my investments ,effects my income . those investments are like my job at this stage
Your stake you have was knowingly put into it by you knowing full well the consequences. I’d think the folks in the steel or manufacturing industry for example where their whole livelihood and families depended on their jobs have more at stake than you voluntarily putting your money on what is essentially a bet.

With that said, you must be pretty shortsighted and extremely ignorant to think that 401K’s are short term investments. Everyone knows these are long term investments. Just because there is some volatility now does not mean your 401K will tank a year, two, three, five, ten years from now.

If you are hoping for constant gains with no losses ever, then you are not very sharp and market investments are not for you.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 AM

well it remains to be seen how many jobs will be lost in other sectors as well as our farmers and coal industry so your argument is all wet

Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Your stake you have was knowingly put into it by you knowing full well the consequences. I’d think the folks in the steel or manufacturing industry for example where their whole livelihood and families depended on their jobs have more at stake than you voluntarily putting your money on what is essentially a bet.

With that said, you must be pretty shortsighted and extremely ignorant to think that 401K’s are short term investments. Everyone knows these are long term investments. Just because there is some volatility now does not mean your 401K will tank a year, two, three, five, ten years from now.

If you are hoping for constant gains with no losses ever, then you are not very sharp and market investments are not for you.
i suggest you learn about how incomes are generated in retirement .

they are based on a draw percentage of your total portfolio value, not the value off in the future .

a hit in the first 5 years of retirement can have quite a effect on the income you draw . it no longer is like when saving .spending down each year from a balanced portfolio has consequences of drops because it is always based on total portfolio value and sustainability .

in fact if you end up having to spend down to far because of downturns and higher inflation even the best of times down the road can't save you .

Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM

And isn’t funny that here you have a poster bashing Trump because he is not thinking of the Wall Street investor but at the same time, the Left is constantly bashing him for supposedly helping Wall Street.

Another example of the ridiculous biased hate from the Left.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM

well like i said i don't hate anyone . it all boils down to who hurts my financial well being and why . no different than if he did something to force a pay cut on you , that should never had to be ..

Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
i suggest you learn about how incomes are generated in retirement .

they are based on a draw percentage of your total portfolio value, not the value off in the future .
What do you think your “total portfolio value” is based on? Stocks. If stocks tumble, then so will your “total portfolio value.”

That is what you are complaining about and that is what your whole argument is based on, the stock market going down (like it was always suppose to only go up ). Stop with your non-sequitur tricks.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:18 AM

well your success at work is based on your companies ability to sustain your pay check and or give raises or pay cuts .

you have a vested interest in what happens and your income is dependent on their outcome good or bad

those with no pensions are dependent on markets or else they are forced to take very low draws off fixed income only , which is very risky since inflation is the real bogeyman not markets and the draw rate that fixed income can sustain is quite low and a very inefficient use of the money you managed to save ..

so markets are very important to a retirees sustainability .

so a typical draw method may be like we use . we get 4% of each years total value or if markets are down 5% less than we had been taking . down years are a fact of life just as lean years where you work is a fact of life but if pay cuts can be avoided isn't that what you want ?

do you really give a crap if a steel worker got a raise and you took a pay cut ?

Old 04-08-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
well like i said i don't hate anyone . it all boils down to who hurts my financial well being and why . no different than if he did something to force a pay cut on you , that should never had to be ..
He is not the president of your financial portfolio. He is the president of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City