Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 33,887 times

Advertisements

Hi all, how strict are co-op boards regarding renovations? I've accepted an offer for a very outdated unit. I'm looking to remove the current tiles, add an electrical outlet, change the toilet and maybe convert the tub to a shower.

How are your co-op guidelines regarding renovations like this? Any co-op board interview tips? My only worry is my DTI of 33% and they'll probably want 30%.

Bathroom looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
NYC co-op strictness on renovations-capture.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
My M-L board is pretty agreeable.
I too would like to break apart the tub and install a nice glass walk-in shower. (In 7 years neither of us has taken a bath.)

Make your tiles yellow and its identical to mine, with white fixtures. I hate that the tiles do not go all the way up the wall. I even have the same doorknob.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
It's a princess potty paradise! You want to change that?

I imagine that renovations like that tend to be more expensive in co-ops compared to private homes, but I don't know how much.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:01 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
our co-op board is really lienient, inside we can basically doi what ever we like, and the best part is, they have the guys that can do it, and do it to perfection.

when i had my third (and last) kitchen installed the boys did the greatest job and didnt cost me a cent, i tipped him ofcourse, and when i had wanted all new doors that I could stain the sponser (LL) Nick, got them all for me, and since im an owner installed and gave them to me for free.

i have zero complaints for my sponser, they are good people, lol, helps that were all greek also. lol.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
our co-op board is really lienient, inside we can basically doi what ever we like, and the best part is, they have the guys that can do it, and do it to perfection.

when i had my third (and last) kitchen installed the boys did the greatest job and didnt cost me a cent, i tipped him ofcourse, and when i had wanted all new doors that I could stain the sponser (LL) Nick, got them all for me, and since im an owner installed and gave them to me for free.

i have zero complaints for my sponser, they are good people, lol, helps that were all greek also. lol.
Wow lucky you...

Old 04-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Any idea how much it'll cost me with labor to knock out and install new wall and floor tiles, install vanity, mirror, toilet and bathtub?

Would it be complicated to convert the tub to a shower? Any idea how much this'll cost?

What about installing light fixtures and adding new outlets?

Thanks everyone LOL

Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh1005 View Post
Hi all, how strict are co-op boards regarding renovations? I've accepted an offer for a very outdated unit. I'm looking to remove the current tiles, add an electrical outlet, change the toilet and maybe convert the tub to a shower.

How are your co-op guidelines regarding renovations like this? Any co-op board interview tips? My only worry is my DTI of 33% and they'll probably want 30%.

Bathroom looks like this:
I'm pretty sure people in my coop have done all of this stuff, except I haven't seen one where the tub was removed to make it into a shower.

Here's a bathroom (not in my coop) where the tub was removed and a shower installed. 77-11 35th Avenue, 3P - JACKSON HEIGHTS GARDENS

Here's one in another coop where they kept the tub but did a much simpler conversion to be able to use it as a shower. https://streeteasy.com/building/37_2...son_heights/21

You should definitely be able to replace tiles. There is also some sort of process where the tiles can be kept but they are glazed or refinished. I saw a bathroom that had this done and it looked fantastic. I'm just not sure how long-lasting it is.

Adding electrical is probably something that anyone who has done any renovation at all has done. It would make no sense to renovate, say, a 1940's kitchen, but not add any electrical outlets. Newer kitchens need outlets for all kinds of things that the old kitchens didn't need. Same goes for all the other rooms as well!

My coop definitely has a lot of rules, but allowing people to renovate within reason is probably actually good overall for the coop.

Try Googling the address of your coop and do an image search. See if you can find current or old real estate listings for apartments in that coop. This should give you an idea of what people have done there.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
What you're doing is very standard. The biggest issue will be your contractor. If the contractor's paperwork (licenses, insurance) is good, and they do a good job of writing up the project (blueprints, descriptions), you shouldn't have a problem. Expect lots of paperwork, and likely fees/deposits that have to be paid.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm pretty sure people in my coop have done all of this stuff, except I haven't seen one where the tub was removed to make it into a shower.

Here's a bathroom (not in my coop) where the tub was removed and a shower installed. 77-11 35th Avenue, 3P - JACKSON HEIGHTS GARDENS

Here's one in another coop where they kept the tub but did a much simpler conversion to be able to use it as a shower. https://streeteasy.com/building/37_2...son_heights/21

You should definitely be able to replace tiles. There is also some sort of process where the tiles can be kept but they are glazed or refinished. I saw a bathroom that had this done and it looked fantastic. I'm just not sure how long-lasting it is.

Adding electrical is probably something that anyone who has done any renovation at all has done. It would make no sense to renovate, say, a 1940's kitchen, but not add any electrical outlets. Newer kitchens need outlets for all kinds of things that the old kitchens didn't need. Same goes for all the other rooms as well!

My coop definitely has a lot of rules, but allowing people to renovate within reason is probably actually good overall for the coop.

Try Googling the address of your coop and do an image search. See if you can find current or old real estate listings for apartments in that coop. This should give you an idea of what people have done there.
nice junior 4 in Jackson Heights, but $545k, WTF?

the reno did look sharp in that bathroom .

Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

That’s a nice apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City