Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,551 times

Advertisements

Any advice/ ideas on how to obtain a live- in super job in NYC? I have experience already as a PT and currently working as a FT plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Get in somewhere that is serviced by a big management company. Be a porter, doorman, handyman (your plumbing skills will give you a leg up for this), whatever. If one of their single super buildings has a vacancy, they can put you there.

We has a super in my coop hauled away in 'cuffs. We needed a replacement ASAP. Our management company put one of their porters in temporarily. We then started a search for a permanent replacement. But in the end the temporary guy was the preferred choice, and stayed.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 AM

178 posts, read 147,674 times
I’m not sure how you’d go about getting a super’s job, but you could contact Local 32BJ, which is part of the SEIU, or Service Employees International Union. They are a trade local that represents building service workers in NYC. They are a large union that wields considerable power and influence in NYC, and it might be worth your while to see what they have to offer. Here is a link to their home page:

http://www.seiu32bj.org/

Another union you can contact is Local 1 of the Plumbers Union, which is part of the United Association (UA). They are active in NYC. Here is a link to their website:

UA Local 1

Hope this helps...

Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyprincess416 View Post
Any advice/ ideas on how to obtain a live- in super job in NYC? I have experience already as a PT and currently working as a FT plumber.
besides going to 32bj for a unionize and pension bennys, you will likely work in the upper east side.

Some good certification to get? check with FDNY website. Stuff as Hvac, fire and safety certifications are easy to get. all it takes is a weekly class and your on your way.

If you are able to get a gig, with an apartment, it wont be above the 2nd floor. good bye most of the sunlight.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:06 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
For any decent building those jobs are hard to come by; usually filled by word of mouth, union, etc...

Live in supers from what one has seen at least in Manhattan for small buildings are going the way of Dodo. Many owners are now going with live out guys who show up daily to take care of things, but live elsewhere. This and or a super may live in a building but has a job elsewhere (maybe another building owned by same LL), and thus is only home evenings and weekends. Large buildings are another story.

Part of reason is that live in super jobs really don't pay very well. Yeah you get an apartment rent free, along with maybe cable and a small salary, but you cannot live in NYC on that alone.

Historically live in supers were married couples. The guy went out to work elsewhere during day (again maybe another building owed by same LL), while the wife was home and did things like clean halls, sidewalks/stoops, let in contractors and so forth. But his is dying out, and indeed as those old couples pass on am seeing more of either mentioned above.

Job to get is "residential manager" in a large or even mid-sized building.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/r...ate/27cov.html

Union supers are expensive for buildings, so many smaller ones are opting out:
https://www.habitatmag.com/Publicati...Super-Salaries

Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
My brother had a job like that back when he was 19. You may need your boiler's license, or something to the effect. Those jobs are for the most part political - word of mouth, etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Here ya go: https://www.superstechnicalassociati...peraskfaqs.htm

Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
My brother had a job like that back when he was 19. You may need your boiler's license, or something to the effect. Those jobs are for the most part political - word of mouth, etc.
Most certainly is word of mouth. In my area/block nearly all super, porter, doorman or whatever building vacancies were filled from the "inside". Everything from brothers in-law to nephews, friends, sons of, etc...

That and or again the father works for a large management agency/landlord and puts in a good word for his son/nephew, grandson who then gets their own building. It just how things roll.

Landlords feel more comfortable dealing with someone they've known before, especially those who own lots of properties. Again it is just that "working class" or whatever clique going strong, and it just doesn't apply to certain civil service jobs.

Many sons, nephews or whatever of supers or other building workers have been around a place for much of their lives, and as such are known to the LL/owner because it's like family.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyprincess416 View Post

Wow. That's a job to land.
Most Supers I have ever known Handed down from generation.
No one let's go of a good thing. Your best bet is to start as
a porter in a building and hope the super has no kids and is getting
ready to retire and leave to Florida in a few years.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Most certainly is word of mouth. In my area/block nearly all super, porter, doorman or whatever building vacancies were filled from the "inside". Everything from brothers in-law to nephews, friends, sons of, etc...

That and or again the father works for a large management agency/landlord and puts in a good word for his son/nephew, grandson who then gets their own building. It just how things roll.

Landlords feel more comfortable dealing with someone they've known before, especially those who own lots of properties. Again it is just that "working class" or whatever clique going strong, and it just doesn't apply to certain civil service jobs.

Many sons, nephews or whatever of supers or other building workers have been around a place for much of their lives, and as such are known to the LL/owner because it's like family.
Yes, I agree. Someone got my brother the super job (that came with an the apartment in Manhattan- he paid no rent). Then he got two of those same jobs for his high school buddies - word of mouth- same company different buildings. He had it great. He did that part time with the help of a porter - another friend of his while he worked another job. He paid the part time porter the full super salary - which isn’t much - and kept the apartment.

That party eventually came to an end when the military shipped his company overseas during the first Iraqi conflict. Both the apartment and the job had to be given up. Fortunately, my brother put the good word in and the porter kept both the job and the apartment.

My brother doesn’t miss it at all. He claims both the double life coupled with the old 1920s building were too much of a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City