Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times

Advertisements

Fines for crossing street while looking at phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 PM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
I will only put my mouth to a payphone in case of extreme emergency now

Yuck

I dont even know if payphones exist anymore

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,371,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
i left my phone at home today. it was awful. how did people survive before smartphones?

jk i didnt leave my phone at home today. nobody could ever forget their phone because nobody could ever get 5 feet out the door without checking their phone.
I've left my phone in the car, I've left my phone at home, etc. I am so out of it sometimes that my only concern is if I ACTUALLY left it in the house or if I lost it along the way.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:41 PM

37,252 posts, read 39,548,524 times
These devices are GD amazing, so I guess it makes sense

Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 AM

31,957 posts, read 27,101,861 times
This sort of thing really bothers me on the Broadway and 8th Avenue subway lines. Outside of a few stations all the rest have narrow stairs to street and also down to platforms; the same set up from almost one hundred years ago.

Bad enough there isn't often room for people to go down and up at same time; then you get some egit slow walking because he or she is entranced by their phone. If there is room you can bust a move and try to pass; otherwise you're stuck.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,716,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I just let people walk into me so we can have a fleeting moment in each other’s arms.
I've done that a few times too. It is amazing to realize how stupid people look when walking around with their gaze stuck into their phone. A few times when I've seen someone coming straight at me preoccupied with their cell phone, I'll just stop and stand there and see if they will actually walk into me. I've never had anyone actually hit me....but a few have come within inches before moving aside.

I've seen people stumble off curbs, I saw a guy literally walk into a post one day, I've seen people step into the street to cross (not a crosswalk) with his/her eyes glued to a cell phone and not even look each way before crossing. I've seen people talking on their cell phone holding up a check out line because their fucxxng conversation is apparently much more important than the time of the 3 or 4 people behind them. I saw a cop on his cell phone once almost take out a pedestrian in a crosswalk. I was standing right there and saw that happen....it was unbelievable to watch.

It's not just phone etiquette that is lacking....it's just basic good human relations that are lacking. People will stop a live conversation to respond to their fucxxng cell phone text that just came though. My youngest daughter had a boyfriend who would leave his cell phone in his lap at the dinner table. When he would start texting, thinking he was being sly about it (sure...trouble is it's blatantly obvious to everyone but him what he's doing), I'd literally just stop talking.....in mid sentence and go silent. It's amazing how quickly that gets the point across. Hey, if your incoming message is that important, perhaps you should just excuse yourself from the dinner table and go deal with this hugely important situation and come back when you're done.

Hey, I'm a texter myself. It's not that I'm against texting, and I love my smart phone about as much as anyone else. But a live conversation or social interaction will make me put my cell phone down every single time. It's called good human relations with your family, friends, neighbors, coworkers or any other person that engages you in conversation. Unfortunately 90 percent of cell phone users won't understand what I'm talking about, huh, as they look up from their phones....and everyone posting here will most likely be a member of the other 10% and totally understand this really easy concept.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,559,657 times
I don't use my cell phone and walk but years ago I used to read a book and walk . One time almost ran into Robert Redford and his family taking a walk down 5th avenue. Eventually stopped when I ran into a parking meter. Ouch.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,871,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I just let people walk into me so we can have a fleeting moment in each other’s arms.
Haha - I was waiting to see how long it would take this woman earlier this am. I had hot coffee in my hand and I guarantee she would have been the one getting burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: