Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

I gather that there is a move to have her leapfrog into Eric Schneiderman's attorney general's office.

Why? I have never yet heard her name in the news in connection with any commendable action, any great insight. Is it just because she's a woman (so less likely to be a sexual predator?) and black (as a sop to the black population)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:25 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I gather that there is a move to have her leapfrog into Eric Schneiderman's attorney general's office.

Why? I have never yet heard her name in the news in connection with any commendable action, any great insight. Is it just because she's a woman (so less likely to be a sexual predator?) and black (as a sop to the black population)?
Some things:

- Questioned city contracts to people who were in charge of the city's move to a digital payroll system (which is understandably necessary) and led the verified charge that the city was getting reamed for its services (I view this as unequivocally good)

- Heavy proponent of trying to get resident feedback on city programs including pretty minor issues like a business piling on garbage and doing work hours outside of the time allotted for that work so she does look at some of the minutiae (I view this as a very, very good thing)

- Strong proponent in trying to provide younger pre-k childcare services for all families (I view this as a pretty good thing, but not necessarily for the same reasons)

- Went against the Barclays Center proposal until there was more concessions for the community around it without killing the proposals outright (I view this as a good thing overall; get what private industry is willing to offer, but don't hardball it so that you get absolutely nothing at all and think she was instrumental in both getting the development while making sure that the borough and neighborhood got something in exchange though I personally know people who think she betrayed the neighborhood by ultimately backing off and allowing the construction)

- Worked on stymieing predatory lending in NYC (I view this as unequivocally good)

- Advocated for the destruction of some older architecture in the Navy Yard in order to have more space for redevelopment for the Brooklyn Navy Yard (I view this somewhat disfavorably--the development probably could have been kept those houses, but the arguing back and forth then actually gave time for those things in a state of even greater distress and ultimately bulldozed, though I really do like Wegmans; I know she backtracked a bit, but it was a bit late)

- Protested the treatment of Occupy protesters (I'm ambivalent--kids weren't doing anything, but why even bother with this)

- Tried to stop Bloomberg's third term (I view this with some ambivalence--I like the idea of term limits for various reasons, but I really like Bloomberg and I ultimately think her opposition is the right thing to do, but I also wish Bloomberg had another additional term, but understand that sets a bad precedence)

- Tried to shut down one or more of the larger downtown Brooklyn developments without enough concessions (ambivalent, she lost; hard to tell if her pushing got more for the city overall)

- I know she had something to do with Broken Angel House somewhat surviving, but I have no feelings either way on this.

Overall, favorable in my opinion. Also attended "town hall" meetings where she was present. On that level, she sounded pretty level-headed and intelligent who was very well aware of issues even in their minutiae. She ain't Jesus, but I was impressed. Would still prefer Preet because it looks like he will clean house until someone forcibly stops him and in which case, we got a fight, but this topic was about Letitia James.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-14-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 07:05 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Thats already dead, she is not taking NY AG position.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Some things:
- Went against the Barclays Center proposal until there was more concessions for the community around it without killing the proposals outright (I view this as a good thing overall; get what private industry is willing to offer, but don't hardball it so that you get absolutely nothing at all and think she was instrumental in both getting the development while making sure that the borough and neighborhood got something in exchange though I personally know people who think she betrayed the neighborhood by ultimately backing off and allowing the construction)

- Tried to stop Bloomberg's third term (I view this with some ambivalence--I like the idea of term limits for various reasons, but I really like Bloomberg and I ultimately think her opposition is the right thing to do, but I also wish Bloomberg had another additional term, but understand that sets a bad precedence)
I think the barclays center is kind of ugly. I think Bloomberg was a great mayor. He was even than guilani when guilani was sane. However, I think terms limits are essential in preventing tyranny. Imagine Trump, Deblasio, cuomo, and christie in power for life. Northeast would go to complete poop. Even Bloomberg's third term was a little too nanny state. No smoking public spaces and soda ban. Plus, he was very anti-gun while he was surrounded by armed bodyguards. He should have endorsed someone that would continue his infrastructure and quality of life improvements instead of running for 3rd term. Maybe deblasio would not have been mayor if bloomberg did not run a 3rd time and we would have had a better mayor. America can never depend on one man. Its an idea. The free exhange of ideas without getting your head chopped off and making money.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think the barclays center is kind of ugly. I think Bloomberg was a great mayor. He was even than guilani when guilani was sane. However, I think terms limits are essential in preventing tyranny. Imagine Trump, Deblasio, cuomo, and christie in power for life. Northeast would go to complete poop. Even Bloomberg's third term was a little too nanny state. No smoking public spaces and soda ban. Plus, he was very anti-gun while he was surrounded by armed bodyguards. He should have endorsed someone that would continue his infrastructure and quality of life improvements instead of running for 3rd term. Maybe deblasio would not have been mayor if bloomberg did not run a 3rd time and we would have had a better mayor. America can never depend on one man. Its an idea. The free exhange of ideas without getting your head chopped off and making money.
I’m somewhat kidding about the ambivalence over extended terms. I know it’s not right, but I liked Bloomberg’s policies overall and his Spanish press conferences. I get why it shouldn’t have happened, but it would have been great if the city had honored him with the role of Spanish interpreter for life.

Barclays Center is ugly, that’s true. But instead of just fighting over what was then a mostly dead horse, she made the pragmatic decision to try to get more out of private development. I appreciate studied pragmatism.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
She nearly ran me over on Atlantic and Washington some years back. But my interactions with her have been generally positive otherwise

Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:

LJ is not even remotely qualified to be an AG for NYS much less any part of NYC.

Besides there is a general election for that seat coming up in November; political machines from both parties are likely looking for someone that can hang onto the office.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
I like Letitia, I really do, just not for AG. I think she’ll be too soft in that position

Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Forget it, just won't happen.

First LJ is of the Working Family or whatever party, which Cuomo just distanced himself from, and they are backing the Nixon woman (IIRC) in the governors race.

Next, LJ is largely unknown upstate, and what they do know falls under "pushy loudmouthed broad" from NYC with various axes to grind. Thus even if appointed she'd likely loose in about six months come November.

Term limited out of her current position, LJ is all but sure to run for mayor in 2021, something that *might* be a more attainable position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City