Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:09 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Look closely. There is no media outlets that reports race/ethnicity of wanted suspects anymore unless they are white or Asian.

Not kidding.
I never hear them mention any ethnicity

It's actually a disservice to the public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:05 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I can't help but feel a very important part of his description is missing. Guess I should be looking for an Asian Individual?

Nah, my money's on the Amish...probably has a prior for GTB (Grand Theft Buggy).

Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
By Kemberly Richardson

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 06:13PM

WOODLAWN, Bronx (WABC) -- Police are looking for the suspect who mugged two elderly women on their way to church in the Bronx.

The two women, longtime friends in their 70s, were on Martha Avenue in Woodlawn Tuesday on their way to church for a funeral mass.

Police said just before 5 p.m., a man pulled up in a blue SUV, walked up to the women, then threw one, Mary Griffin, to the ground and stole her purse.

"Why don't you be like my son and grow up and get a job and stop doing this to people? Stop doing it, whatever your reason is, stop doing it. He must have a mom somewhere that you know, tried to bring you up the right way," Griffin said.

Griffin's friend, who did not want to be identified, jumped in, hitting the man with her umbrella.

"I took a step towards them, and I had an open umbrella, and I swung it at him, and I hit him with the umbrella, but an open umbrella does nothing to anybody. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that," the friend said. "He just took a step towards the street, grabbed my friend's purse and off he went."

The suspect threw her to the ground as well.

"I'm angry," said Stephen Griffin, the victim's son. "They pick on the elderly all the time. Now it's the M.O. Just angry, very."

Both women were taken to the hospital but are now recovering at home.

The ladies thanked everyone in their neighborhood who heard their screams and ran out of their homes to help.

The individual is described as 18 to 20 years old, 140 pounds and 5'6." He was last seen wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt with a white logo on his chest, tan pants and brown boots.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).

Exclusive: 2 elderly women mugged in Bronx speak out after attack | abc7ny.com
If details about the obviously-noticeable to-anyone VISUAL characteristics of the criminal beyond sharing their weight, height, and clothing worn (re: sharing details of their race, skin color or tone, apparent or likely ethnicity, et al) are not shared as well, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to give truly useful information to help catch the perpetrator??????

Look (as an analogy), if the perpetrator was a Caucasian Hasidic Orthodox Jew and it was not mentioned that he had a long flowing beard like Hasidics do, wore a Jewish star necklace, wore a yarmulke (i.e., (the Jewish skullcap) on his head, wore all-black clothing and had a black rimmed hat on his head like all or nearly all Hasidic Jews do, would those details be left out of the description just so that we don't risk broaching ethnicity or race characteristics?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:40 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Again it really all comes down to each specific media outlet/editorial board.

Obviously liberal/left/progressive newspapers/news outlets (New York Times, ABC (owned by Disney, and so forth), are going to tow the "equality" and so forth line.

Happy to say my hometown local newspaper (The Staten Island Advance) keeps things real, and reports things as they are; facts on ground, and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM

615 posts, read 448,602 times
I bet these youts are from "the other side of the tracks", in this case literally.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
If details about the obviously-noticeable to-anyone VISUAL characteristics of the criminal beyond sharing their weight, height, and clothing worn (re: sharing details of their race, skin color or tone, apparent or likely ethnicity, et al) are not shared as well, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to give truly useful information to help catch the perpetrator??????

Look (as an analogy), if the perpetrator was a Caucasian Hasidic Orthodox Jew and it was not mentioned that he had a long flowing beard like Hasidics do, wore a Jewish star necklace, wore a yarmulke (i.e., (the Jewish skullcap) on his head, wore all-black clothing and had a black rimmed hat on his head like all or nearly all Hasidic Jews do, would those details be left out of the description just so that we don't risk broaching ethnicity or race characteristics?
Haha everyone on this forum knows what a yarmulke is, no need to specify!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I never hear them mention any ethnicity

It's actually a disservice to the public

Here ya go: Eric Olson: 'Black male' does not describe the suspect | Daily Chronicle

But then you have: https://home.chicagopolice.org/get-i...ibe-a-suspect/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: