Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 06:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well if someone films those people on the train and the video of their behaviour goes viral they could be arrested.

A man getting up in a woman’s face and yelling loudly is a form of assault. That’s a potentially dangerous situation. He should have been charged. Bullying and abuse of any kind must not be tolerated.
Key phrase is "if the video goes viral."

Otherwise, if I film a crazy person ranting racist BS and getting in a bunch of people's faces on the subway, I highly doubt anyone in law enforcement is going to lift a finger to identify the person, track them down and charge them with a crime.

Even if it does go viral, I kind of doubt anyone wants to take on the mentally ill homeless people who regularly engage in this bad behavior. I think they would rather just leave them on the street.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:

A man getting up in a woman’s face and yelling loudly is a form of assault.
Don't... Don't make up fake definitions of assault please. It doesn't help anyone.

Yelling is Yelling. Assault is assault (Hurt Feelings vs. Physical Harm) Very clear cut.

The dangerous thing here is that people like you want to re-write the laws to make certain words or phrases "Assault" and punishable by arrest and jail. That violates our first amendment right to free speech.

As much as it sucks or may hurt feelings, I have the right to walk up to anyone and call them a "whatever" and keep walking without fear of arrest. Same as cop haters use "Free speech" to walk up to any cop and call them "PIGS" without fear of arrest, same applies to everyone.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
A few days ago. I wanted to film a black woman who started a racial conflict with a white man. She started saying effing white people, how she can't stand white people, she is saying racial stuff while holding a baby who is very light skin and with hair like a white baby. I wanted to record her. But I said no. It's not right, and unethical. Plus I can be sued for defamation. I just shook my head instead.
It is only worth recording if the crazy person is white. Otherwise you won't get the social media hits. Like the black dude on the 3 train in Crown Heights that told me to go back to my country, recording it just wasn't worth it. Now if it were a white dude I'd be on to something.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is only worth recording if the crazy person is white. Otherwise you won't get the social media hits. Like the black dude on the 3 train in Crown Heights that told me to go back to my country, recording it just wasn't worth it. Now if it were a white dude I'd be on to something.
They’ve caught people committing criminal acts of all races using videos and social media.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Don't... Don't make up fake definitions of assault please. It doesn't help anyone.

Yelling is Yelling. Assault is assault (Hurt Feelings vs. Physical Harm) Very clear cut.

The dangerous thing here is that people like you want to re-write the laws to make certain words or phrases "Assault" and punishable by arrest and jail. That violates our first amendment right to free speech.

As much as it sucks or may hurt feelings, I have the right to walk up to anyone and call them a "whatever" and keep walking without fear of arrest. Same as cop haters use "Free speech" to walk up to any cop and call them "PIGS" without fear of arrest, same applies to everyone.
No. You don’t have the right to walk up to someone and call them a whatever. There can be criminal or civil damages, as recent actions have shown.

Just because you feel like running your mouth does not mean people have to take it.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
They’ve caught people committing criminal acts of all races using videos and social media.
You mean like robbery, assault, or even murder? This guy shouldn't have robbed her of her phone and beat her with it on the LIRR. That is wrong. He should be arrested then.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
No. You don’t have the right to walk up to someone and call them a whatever.
If I walk up to a cop and tell him to go F himself, should I be arrested? Or be free to walk away?

Edit: Better yet, if you got into an argument with someone and in a fit of rage you called them an A-HOLE!... Should that person be able to call 911 and have you arrested?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
If I walk up to a cop and tell him to go F himself, should I be arrested? Or be free to walk away?

Edit: Better yet, if you got into an argument with someone and in a fit of rage you called them an A-HOLE!... Should that person be able to call 911 and have you arrested?
It's not a good idea to pick a fight with a cop.

If someone is arguing with someone, and say they refuse to leave a premise of course the cops can be called and a person arrested.

Learn to behave well and your problems disappear.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
It's not a good idea to pick a fight with a cop.

If someone is arguing with someone, and say they refuse to leave a premise of course the cops can be called and a person arrested.

Learn to behave well and your problems disappear.
Oh so now you are adding things in?

stick to the original discussion please, we were talking about words being assault. You said I don't have the right to call someone whatever... meaning that I should be arrested for calling someone a name. Is that how you feel? Words that hurt feelings = arrest?

Stay with me buddy. Focus.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Oh so now you are adding things in?

stick to the original discussion please, we were talking about words being assault. You said I don't have the right to call someone whatever... meaning that I should be arrested for calling someone a name. Is that how you feel? Words that hurt feelings = arrest?

Stay with me buddy. Focus.
And you have my answer.

The arrest was fair, and I want him to be convicted. You're not going to sway me on this, so there is no point in wasting time arguing with me.

I fully support what happened to him, I am happy this is prosecuted as a hate crime and no, I am not interested in "free" speech.

And hate speech has no place in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City