Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:17 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

I just had a recent trip to Japan and as most people would know about Japan, its very clean. Many of their towns and cities are remarkably clean, especially Tokyo. Tokyo is the worlds biggest city yet it manages to be one of the cleanest. Of course, there's areas where it gets dirty, especially in areas where there's many foreign tourist or areas where many people go ton party. Regardless, in comparison to so many other cities world wide, it manages to be exceptionally clean for a city that's so enormous and densely packed.

And don't even get me started on the subway system and the transit system and how immaculate it is.

Besides Tokyo, I've been to other smaller but very clean cities and with clean transit. Toronto comes to mine and Montreal (MTL in terms of its transit).

As a life long New Yorkers and American, it downright disgust me how unsanitary the city is and how downright deplorably dirty the NYC subway is. I know there's many reason as to why some place like Japan may be so clean. Yes, it's a homogeneous country and the culture differs drastically in a lot of ways, most transit systems in the world don't run 24 hours if any other ones; but I don't care. As Americans, as New Yorkers I feel like we can do so much better. With all the money we can spend on many other things, there has to be some solution to making the NYC subway much cleaner.

On the same token, not to contradict myself but I also don't see or have any hope of NYC subways getting cleaner. Many people treat the tracks like a dumpster, treat the train like a big'ol train garbage pail and we have too many people of too many different cultures who just don't care about taking care of their personal surroundings and who are highly inconsiderate.

Yet for a city that focuses on being green so much, we don't have many people who seem to care about cleanliness. Especially with this goofy mayor Bill DeLOUSIO, we'll have more people joyfully urinating and defecating at their leisure in public. And of course, some of these goofy liberals and progressives would rather NYC be grimey and dirty because it gives it "character" and many of these transplants want to be "cultured". NYC can still have its "edge" but be much cleaner but I digress.

My question is: If you're of the same mindset as me, what solutions do you think can be implemented to ensure NYC can be a much cleaner and sanitary city in general? Especially the subway?

I don't just want to come on here and rant, I actually want to throw this out there and here peoples ideas, opinions, emotional outburst, questions, theories, stories, concerns etc. In hopes that we may come up with conversations ideas that may actually lead to something and lead to eventual solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I just had a recent trip to Japan and as most people would know about Japan, its very clean. Many of their towns and cities are remarkably clean, especially Tokyo. Tokyo is the worlds biggest city yet it manages to be one of the cleanest. Of course, there's areas where it gets dirty, especially in areas where there's many foreign tourist or areas where many people go ton party. Regardless, in comparison to so many other cities world wide, it manages to be exceptionally clean for a city that's so enormous and densely packed.

And don't even get me started on the subway system and the transit system and how immaculate it is.

Besides Tokyo, I've been to other smaller but very clean cities and with clean transit. Toronto comes to mine and Montreal (MTL in terms of its transit).

As a life long New Yorkers and American, it downright disgust me how unsanitary the city is and how downright deplorably dirty the NYC subway is. I know there's many reason as to why some place like Japan may be so clean. Yes, it's a homogeneous country and the culture differs drastically in a lot of ways, most transit systems in the world don't run 24 hours if any other ones; but I don't care. As Americans, as New Yorkers I feel like we can do so much better. With all the money we can spend on many other things, there has to be some solution to making the NYC subway much cleaner.

On the same token, not to contradict myself but I also don't see or have any hope of NYC subways getting cleaner. Many people treat the tracks like a dumpster, treat the train like a big'ol train garbage pail and we have too many people of too many different cultures who just don't care about taking care of their personal surroundings and who are highly inconsiderate.

Yet for a city that focuses on being green so much, we don't have many people who seem to care about cleanliness. Especially with this goofy mayor Bill DeLOUSIO, we'll have more people joyfully urinating and defecating at their leisure in public. And of course, some of these goofy liberals and progressives would rather NYC be grimey and dirty because it gives it "character" and many of these transplants want to be "cultured". NYC can still have its "edge" but be much cleaner but I digress.

My question is: If you're of the same mindset as me, what solutions do you think can be implemented to ensure NYC can be a much cleaner and sanitary city in general? Especially the subway?

I don't just want to come on here and rant, I actually want to throw this out there and here peoples ideas, opinions, emotional outburst, questions, theories, stories, concerns etc. In hopes that we may come up with conversations ideas that may actually lead to something and lead to eventual solutions.
Can't keep NYC clean and be a city that doesn't sleep at the same

So pick one

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I see a lot of really poor behavior on the subway, a lot of which has to do with eating food and then dropping food on the subway floor, or leaving used takeout containers, etc. Last night I was riding next to a family with a 3 year old in a stroller. They bought her a package of Oreo cookies from the beggar going through every car selling candy for a "dollah" (another problem in the subway system) and she proceeded to open the package and start eating some and also throwing half of the oreos on the floor. The parents did not do a single thing to stop this behavior - she did it more than once. They also made no attempt to pick up the Oreos off the floor.

I think the subways are filthy because people's behavior is poor and low-class.

I haven't been to Japan in a while but from what I recall, it's absolutely not acceptable to eat anything while riding.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Japan keeps people in check with their shame society

Americans don't have any shame which is why we do a lot of rude things in public.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can't keep NYC clean and be a city that doesn't sleep at the same

So pick one

This is non-sense to me and this is the type of attitude I encounter majority of the time. Again, Tokyo is a city that's 24 hours. It's transit is not 24 hours but the city is certainly hustling and bustling to the wee hours. All the convenient stores are open 24 hours and department stores like Don Quijote are open 24 hours, just like here people work overnight etc, etc. So whats the excuse?

It's COMPLETELY possible to be a 24 hour functioning city and be clean. Just because its 24 hours doesn't mean it can't be clean, there's no excuse.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
This is non-sense to me and this is the type of attitude I encounter majority of the time. Again, Tokyo is a city that's 24 hours. It's transit is not 24 hours but the city is certainly hustling and bustling to the wee hours. All the convenient stores are open 24 hours and department stores like Don Quijote are open 24 hours, just like here people work overnight etc, etc. So whats the excuse?

It's COMPLETELY possible to be a 24 hour functioning city and be clean. Just because its 24 hours doesn't mean it can't be clean, there's no excuse.
I agree. The fact that the subways run here 24 hours does not mean people need to be eating chicken dinners, pasta meals, burritos, packages of Oreos, etc. on the subway and dumping all their crumbs and dirty packaging on the subway floor all the time -- mostly in the middle of the day! What does that have to do with 24 hours?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I see a lot of really poor behavior on the subway, a lot of which has to do with eating food and then dropping food on the subway floor, or leaving used takeout containers, etc. Last night I was riding next to a family with a 3 year old in a stroller. They bought her a package of Oreo cookies from the beggar going through every car selling candy for a "dollah" (another problem in the subway system) and she proceeded to open the package and start eating some and also throwing half of the oreos on the floor. The parents did not do a single thing to stop this behavior - she did it more than once. They also made no attempt to pick up the Oreos off the floor.

I think the subways are filthy because people's behavior is poor and low-class.

I haven't been to Japan in a while but from what I recall, it's absolutely not acceptable to eat anything while riding.
As a minority myself (Puerto Rican) I notice how so many minorities from the hood want this and that to be better but never want to put in the work. I can't recall how many times I've seen people from the ghetto just have no regard for their surroundings. They treat everything around them like trash but they will also complain things should be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Japan keeps people in check with their shame society

Americans don't have any shame which is why we do a lot of rude things in public.

Maybe we should tax the heck of cities in the U.S. with high pollution? Hit their wallets and I'm pretty sure they're act would alter quite a bit.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 AM

152 posts, read 155,925 times
It’s gotten worse with De Blasio, I don’t remember the city being as dirty as it is and infrastructure issues with Bloomberg.

But saying that, NYC is still cleaner than SF and LA. I didn’t think Miami was that clean either.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:

If the transit is not 24 hours then the city is not 24 hours. London's not a 24 hour city either.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree. The fact that the subways run here 24 hours does not mean people need to be eating chicken dinners, pasta meals, burritos, packages of Oreos, etc. on the subway and dumping all their crumbs and dirty packaging on the subway floor all the time -- mostly in the middle of the day! What does that have to do with 24 hours?
It has everything to do with it. All of what you described happens 24 hours a day here. Not in other places. They actually close down their transit systems so that they can be cleaned.

What you guys are asking for is for people to change their culture. Can't be done.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City