Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:53 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Just dusting off my old Das Kapital book. Why not organize occupations according to guilds, where independent purveyors and craftsmen can freely exchange by directly facing one another using their own properties and instruments of labor? Are the only choices for NYC to subordinate people to capitalists or the ghetto?
Guilds were used all throughout the middle ages to hoard craft knowledge and thus wealth to a small mercantile elite. They were just below the nobility in terms of making Europe from the fall of Rome to WWI a place to escape from.

BTW, people purveying their own labor/skills is called capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

BTW, people purveying their own labor/skills is called capitalism.

I said using their own property and instruments of labor.

Quote:
Guilds were used all throughout the middle ages to hoard craft knowledge and thus wealth to a small mercantile elite. They were just below the nobility

They were hoarding but they weren't small relative to the rest of the number of people inhabiting towns.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If anybody wants all this shooting stabbing and killing to continue, they're fools

A large segment of the population has been DENIED ACCESS to earn money

Thats it

You lift that hold and the crime stops.

Vote for the MoD
I'd vote for you. We'll make Airborne Guy police commissioner.

Out-of-touch wealthy white people whining about their own. Move to Baltimore if you're so guilt ridden/bored.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I sympathize with some aspects of the article. New York is not as visually interesting as it was in the past and there is more of a money element than ever before.

But I also understand that change is inevitable and the same thing is happening to most prominent cities, both here and abroad. And as some of you have pointed out, not all of the change is bad.

I would guess most people believe New York began and ended with them i.e. they define by the time when they were there. Of course, this is not rational. But emotions are often anything but rational. I lived in New York for most of the 1980s and all of the 1990s. A glorious time. The era of fiscal bust and Son of Sam was over and the Renaissance had begun. But it had not yet affected the uniqueness of the place.

So it goes. New York will always be great, one way or the other.

New York City is still the capital of the world. More historic preservation and less welfare (including abolishing the NYCHA, and selling the "projects" to people who work, for a modest price) would solve all NYC problems.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I said using their own property and instruments of labor.
Then you'd be limiting the ability to earn money to those who own property and how much. There'd be no faster way to feudalism than this. An "Instrument of Labor" could be anything including your own hands. Thus what I said stands.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
So it goes. New York will always be great, one way or the other.
Yes.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Then you'd be limiting the ability to earn money to those who own property and how much. There'd be no faster way to feudalism than this. An "Instrument of Labor" could be anything including your own hands. Thus what I said stands.

Of course, it limits the ability to "earn money" (ie, accumulate capital). But the point is whether there is another choice other than between capital stratification and ghetto only. Yes, it comes with compromises, but is there another choice besides the two always mentioned?

Quote:
An "Instrument of Labor" could be anything including your own hands. Thus what I said stands.

Sure, but is the exchange of value conducted by the facing of individual laborers/craftsmen/purveyors as I stated in my post, or between laborers and capitalists where the end result is the capitalist accumulating capital?

Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I really cannot agree with you on this one. No US citizen is denied access to earn money. My access to earn money was severely limited until I earned a Green Card, but only because I was an immigrant (and that is okay, I understand the need to control immigration) - after that, I was allowed to compete for any job I wanted and knew how to do. Oh right, I was also in training for 30 years, rather than pursuing crime, begging for handouts or having kids I couldn't support. As an immigrant, I would say that the US provides much more access to earn money than any other country I know of, and I just wish I had been born here - my life would have been a million times easier.

I think the problem is just the opposite: people in the US have it so easy that a large segment of the population thinks everything should just fall to them from the sky, and therefore don't want to make even the minimal effort to get qualified for a useful trade, or, at the very least, not have kids they can't afford.
The people don't have the power to create the conditions. They really don't.

You're kind of like the person who will get pissed off that the person in front of you is buying lobster with food stamps. But not get pissed off at why that person is allowed to do so, regardless of the morality/legality of it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
New York City is still the capital of the world. More historic preservation and less welfare (including abolishing the NYCHA, and selling the "projects" to people who work, for a modest price) would solve all NYC problems.

I agree with those actions but any city that elects a guy like your mayor is a city that is not interested.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 AM

34,094 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Historic preservation? Meh. That **** stifles growth. Nowadays a fire hydrant gets landmarked. Please. Dont even start.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City