Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:08 PM

283 posts, read 233,934 times

Advertisements

Stayed over at a friend’s apartment this weekend and omfg i don’t know how he handles it. You can hear everything the upstairs neighbor does. It’s not like they’re having a party or being deliberately loud, and apparently they do have a lot of carpets, but every step, every thing they drop, etc can be heard. I woke up at least 5 times over the course of the night. I would go crazy living in that type of a building.

How many of you live in a building like this? How do you cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I live in a building where i hear my downstairs neighbor all the time. If I had a gun, I'd have shot myself a long time ago.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Being young helps.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Stayed over at a friend’s apartment this weekend and omfg i don’t know how he handles it. You can hear everything the upstairs neighbor does. It’s not like they’re having a party or being deliberately loud, and apparently they do have a lot of carpets, but every step, every thing they drop, etc can be heard. I woke up at least 5 times over the course of the night. I would go crazy living in that type of a building.

How many of you live in a building like this? How do you cope?

What are you going on about?

Outside of some newer luxury buildings and or old pre-war multifamily housing little if anything has sound proof walls/ceilings. Things began to slide when drywall replaced lathe and plaster and have been going downhill ever since as developers use ever thinner dry wall.

While there are modern techniques that will create near tomb like indoor silence, they are costly for developers and or retrofitting afterwards.

Daytonian in Manhattan: The Sherman Square Studios - 160 West 73rd Street

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...ndproofer_tips

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/r...ork-noise.html

As for coping, you either get used to it, move or learn how to mitigate.

When first moved into the city from SI took me about a year or so to get used to the noise from both outside and within building. But gradually you learn how to cope.

If sleeping is an issue there are always ear plugs. Should problem come from tenants who are making noise "after hours", then a quiet word or otherwise sitting them down is in order.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Have always found noise complaints by tenants of various NYC apartment buildings to be a relative thing.

My building like many others has a good number of middle-aged to elderly "New Yorkers" that demand near graveyard silence *when it suits their needs*. However they are always in halls or other common areas having conversations in that loud and obnoxious NYC voice (see cartoon clip below). This and or sit in their apartments with television or radio blasting because otherwise they can't hear the thing.

But when a younger person has friends or whatever over even early as say 9PM or whatever they are banging on walls/floors/ceilings.......

Then you have the perpetual old biddies/fussy old men who complain about noise for sake of having something to complain about. They don't like children, babies, young people, dogs, cats, or anything else that disrupts their idea of what the building *used to* be like forty or more years ago when they moved into their RS or RC apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFfY7ko1ME

Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Being young helps.
This. When you're younger, you don't mind noise all that much. Not like you do when you get older. Remember when I was in my 20's, leaving my windows wide open and not minding the street noise at all. Now, I can't stand it. Have noise machines on full blast to drown it out whenever I leave my windows open.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What are you going on about?

Outside of some newer luxury buildings and or old pre-war multifamily housing little if anything has sound proof walls/ceilings. Things began to slide when drywall replaced lathe and plaster and have been going downhill ever since as developers use ever thinner dry wall.

While there are modern techniques that will create near tomb like indoor silence, they are costly for developers and or retrofitting afterwards.

Daytonian in Manhattan: The Sherman Square Studios - 160 West 73rd Street

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...ndproofer_tips

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/r...ork-noise.html

As for coping, you either get used to it, move or learn how to mitigate.

When first moved into the city from SI took me about a year or so to get used to the noise from both outside and within building. But gradually you learn how to cope.

If sleeping is an issue there are always ear plugs. Should problem come from tenants who are making noise "after hours", then a quiet word or otherwise sitting them down is in order.

You underestimate how soundproof new buildings are. I have tons of friends living in newly built high rises (and a couple in low rises that are newly built) and without exception they all have very quiet buildings and never or rarely hear their neighbors.

Pre-war and postwar building seem a crapshoot though. Completely depends on the building

Old 07-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Have always found noise complaints by tenants of various NYC apartment buildings to be a relative thing.

My building like many others has a good number of middle-aged to elderly "New Yorkers" that demand near graveyard silence *when it suits their needs*. However they are always in halls or other common areas having conversations in that loud and obnoxious NYC voice (see cartoon clip below). This and or sit in their apartments with television or radio blasting because otherwise they can't hear the thing.

But when a younger person has friends or whatever over even early as say 9PM or whatever they are banging on walls/floors/ceilings.......

Then you have the perpetual old biddies/fussy old men who complain about noise for sake of having something to complain about. They don't like children, babies, young people, dogs, cats, or anything else that disrupts their idea of what the building *used to* be like forty or more years ago when they moved into their RS or RC apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFfY7ko1ME
I have nothing but sympathy for old people who’s family and friends have gone and are alone... but there are some old people who are alone are alone for a reason. Bitter, angry, nothing is ever good enough...

Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
I have nothing but sympathy for old people who’s family and friends have gone and are alone... but there are some old people who are alone are alone for a reason. Bitter, angry, nothing is ever good enough...

Usually but not always people end up the way they began; that is bitter, nosey, nasty or whatever seniors often weren't that different as kids, young adults and or even into middle age.

Yes, you do have some lonely middle age to seniors but one finds they are often on the opposite end of spectrum; that is the chatty-Cathy, overly helpful (which sometimes comes across as nosey), sorts that are so because they've nothing else in their lives.

Bossy/opinionated people IMHO can go either way. Some clearly were fussbudgets all their lives (females and males), others became so in middle age onwards due life situations.

Think of Frank Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond). There was a the type of guy who is always right, and quick to offer his advice (because it always is correct), and so forth. Even his wife Marie admitted the man was fired from his job because people got fed up with his attitude.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:45 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Usually but not always people end up the way they began; that is bitter, nosey, nasty or whatever seniors often weren't that different as kids, young adults and or even into middle age.
Agree. I like to blast rock and roll now just as much as I ever did and have friends who do the same. Just saying .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: