Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:34 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Interesting. Some buildings have "boxes" for FedEx and UPS packages. I'm guessing people pay for those though.
Maybe

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Wow. That's great! Never heard of those.
That way, you don't even need to make the trek to an Amazon Locker or worry about store hours.
I wish more buildings will get them.
You're lucky!
Do you live in a building? If so ask management or the LL to get it

It's no sweat off their back, its free! So if they don't do it there better be a super good reason.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you live in a building? If so ask management or the LL to get it

It's no sweat off their back, its free! So if they don't do it there better be a super good reason.
I'll ask. A possible objection I can think of is if they consider it an eyesore, they'll probably won't like it.
They're fussy. In the past 10 years, they renovated the lobby and common areas about 5 times (put in all new furniture, pictures, light fixtures, carpeting, wall paper, hired some fancy shmancy decorator) and each time slapped on a cap assessment charge to all the owners. (It's all a huge waste if you ask me).

Where my mom lives, the lobby is kind of small so they may not go for it. I'll ask nonetheless. Both bldgs get a lot of packages. A lot! Both lobbies feel like a virtually post office at times, that's how many packages we get.

I'll ask. Maybe they can stick in the basement by where the washing machines are.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Since we're ragging on neighbors and all, wonder if this happens in other buildings.

There are several persons who leave their Amazon or whatever delivered packages in lobby for days or even weeks. No, they aren't away or whatever because see them in hall and or hear their voices.

One in particular has tons of things delivered almost daily and leaves things sitting in lobby until whatever prompts to move. This even though must pass both mail boxes *and* all those packages to reach elevator or stairs. That means at least twice a day (to leave and return home) they have to pass those GD boxes.

Yes it does and it's extremely wacky. I always thought that if you order a package it's something you are looking for as soon as you get home. I see packages in the lobby for like three or four days and never understood why

Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Sometimes packages do sit there for awhile.

A few weeks ago, those huge Amazon Fresh containers (like 3-4 of them) sat between our doors for probably a week. At least.

I will also bring packages from between the doors to behind the keyed entry if it's sitting there.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Only USPS has the key to open ur mailbox to leave the package locker key in.
This does not seem to be universally true any longer.

FedEx and UPS have been using the USPS "key" to gain entry to our building for over a year now. Know this because rarely do they bother ringing the intercom but just knock on door/show up indoors.

Also know this because the intercom buzzer is rather loud (can be heard several flights upstairs), and it never seems to ring for UPS or FedEx; but again some how they magically appear inside building.

Highly doubt management gave anyone keys to building, so the only other alternative is the USPS key.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:

FedEx and UPS have been using the USPS "key" to gain entry to our building for over a year now. Know this because rarely do they bother ringing the intercom but just knock on door/show up indoors.

Also know this because the intercom buzzer is rather loud (can be heard several flights upstairs), and it never seems to ring for UPS or FedEx; but again some how they magically appear inside building.

Highly doubt management gave anyone keys to building, so the only other alternative is the USPS key.
Correct, the USPS lady comes every day at 5pm and has a key to get in our building

Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM

In a way can see UPS and FedEx having a problem. By the latter mean FedEx ground (which is a franchise operation).

Both have huge amounts of packages to deliver on a daily basis, and customers aren't always home. The old method of simply leaving notices and putting the package back on truck means in addition to packages collected during day, drivers have trucks full of those undelivered and must return to the "office". There they will join tons of others and compete with space with things arriving for delivery on next day.

This coupled with many tenants living in buildings without doormen will not simply "buzz in" just anyone. This is normal and natural security behavior and should be standard practice. But again that means FedEx, UPS, etc... are stuck with those packages.... Amazon and the others don't give a rat's behind; they just leave packaged in outer vestibule or whatever and that is that.

UPS has begun using local stores such as DR, Walgreens and even convenience stores/delis as drop-off and pick-up package places. See notes on building front door and or in lobby all the time directing people to this or that store to collect their package.

Biggest news is that UPS now delivers on Saturdays! Which again shows you just what they are up against in terms of volume. Word is as of their latest contract drivers may begin delivering on Sundays in select markets as well.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:

I agree. There are indeed some buildings where FedEx and UPS can have a key. I really would like to know how they get one and if this is something that is worked out with management. I mean hell... How does the USPS get the key? We had our front door locked changed recently, and management has been toying around with using FOB keys so surely USPS was given the new key when they changed the lock. It would make sense for FedEx and UPS to have them too.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree. There are indeed some buildings where FedEx and UPS can have a key. I really would like to know how they get one and if this is something that is worked out with management. I mean hell... How does the USPS get the key? We had our front door locked changed recently, and management has been toying around with using FOB keys so surely USPS was given the new key when they changed the lock. It would make sense for FedEx and UPS to have them too.

IIRC it is federal law and comes under interfering with postal/mail delivery.

A friend from college got her first apartment in NYC in some building way over in Chelsea that didn't have a way for post office to gain entry. People had to go to the local post office to get their mail or buzz USPS in if someone was home. Well this person wasn't having any of that.

She called local postal office to find out what was the problem and then sent management a certified letter reminding them of law. In about a week or so new mailboxes were installed and one of those USPS key lockboxes were put into outer vestibule.

In defense of LL many older buildings once had full time supers and or wives of same who were home during day to let USPS into building. That and or the mail boxes once were located in vestibule, and for some reason when locking door was installed (as required by law) it was in front of the mailboxes. Again if there was a full time super or his wife to let USPS in that wasn't a problem.

Given the heck hole NYC was back in day it probably is far safer to move apartment mailboxes behind locked doors. But you still find them in vestibules of some older brownstone/walk-up apartment buildings. Many of these once were private homes that were converted into apartments, and there isn't a way or place to put mail boxes in "lobby" or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: