Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,256,382 times

Advertisements

Bye! Thanks for freeing up an apartment!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,348,117 times
It is you guys that are always complaining about NYC losing its edge because of all the yuppies/hipsters/midwesterners/southerners/west coast people that are moving here

It is you guys who reminisce about the old clubbing days of NYC and how great it was and how now it is just bland because, like the Threadstarter stated, all the arrogant insecure kids who all have the same story ( the hipsters ) that drown out the locals.

he is just agreeing with you guys

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,328,175 times
You are 100% right, and this is coming from someone who lives in this city. You pretty much have to go to far corners of the Bronx and Brooklyn or Hollywood FL if you want to hang out with real NYers. Still a fun group but sadly a dying breed, and dying fast. Staten Island has some originals but they seem to have sold out for $$$ and are a bunch of wannabe Orange County types.

The whole working class NYer, whether a classic Irish, Italian, Jewish, Puerto Rican, African-American, etc, is dead, and it is a big shame. Let me set one thing straight, this isnt about being exclusive and against integration. Many of the "old school" are friendly toward other ethnic groups/races, they just choose to date/marry within their own because it is often (not always) a better fit and they would like to preserve traditions that are important to them. The issue here is that this city which is so famous for being an ethnic center is losing this trait. The regional uniqueness of NY is being replaced by this nuevo hipster/yuppie society (which is honestly all the same to me anymore) that is the same here as it is in Austin TX, San Fran, Chicago, etc. People say "oh well you shouldnt have left". And many sold out too early. But at this point in time, I find it will be hard for many to stay as there is a bland, gloomy future for NY. Whats the next crime movie going to be...Goodfellas II about hipsters making an Ipod heist at the apple store?

I am somehow managing to stay, but I do not speak for everyone. I feel like time may soon come to rally up the troops and move back across the pond to the motherland where culture and tradition are still appreciated!

PS. You hit it on the head with the words "same story".

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfeelinNYC View Post
I moved here in Oct from Boston and am stunned at how unimpressed I am by Manhattan.

I thought I was paranoid until I started asking around and it seems that everyone here agrees that Manhattan, and all of NYC really, has lots its edge, character and energy. Brooklyn is sort of on the come up, but quickly becoming mainstream and commercialized in its mentality.

Most young people I know here who are single want to leave. If one has a family here, then I imagine it is different.

I love New York. But I gotta say these days it is better to visit than to live in. And I am a very outgoing dude and love to go out etc.

But this city is quantity over quality. And most of the quantity is very bland.

In terms of people, yes, people from everywhere are here, but the ethnic meshing is not very good and people perceive everyone else as a "clique," which makes them cliquey. Almost impossible to meet people from other groups here.

I just had to share. I think this place is super overrated and I can't wait to leave.

NYC is great for museums and culture, but it's better to just visit for that stuff.

The nightlife sucks. Every bar is a typical bar that plays just 80s music. The clubs and lounges are full of insecure, arrogant kids who all have the same story. It is a great city if you have never really lived it up and thinking that an unnecessarily fast-paced, expensive place compensates for that. Lucky for the city there are people who do live by that mentality.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,525,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Whats the next crime movie going to be...Goodfellas II about hipsters making an Ipod heist at the apple store?
Hahah...I have "rated this post positively", that's great. Keep diggin in the crates.

I can relate to the original poster's frustration. Don't get me wrong, I still think NYC is and always will be the greatest city in the world - but I'm in my 20s, as I imagine he is, and a big part of my life revolves around going out on the weekend, killing brain cells and trying to find something that could possibly bear my children one day. I work hard all week and I'm not getting any younger, nothing wrong with having a good time... right? Granted I'm not even from NYC and I like living out here in Nassau County with my old Jeep and cheap cigarettes, but I grew up in awe of Manhattan and have been going there since I was old enough to buy an LIRR ticket. When I was younger and everything was new it was all so fascinating and exciting, but over the years that luster has worn off and now I see it as a really lonely place where a night out will only net me a headache and an empty wallet.

Even in my lifetime, I've seen the people and attitudes drastically change. I know it's cliche to rag on the hipsters/yuppies/whatevers but these people are all so uniform and not at all interested in associating outside of their Myspace.com buddy list. Seems like nobody wants to party, everybody just wants to stand around looking fancy, smoking cloves and keeping their hairdo looking like a shotgun exit wound. I never went for the more upscale places and the clubs are full of the princesses and roided up bros from Jersey and South Shore LI. A whole lot of standing around looking awkward no matter where I go....it's a shame, I guess it's really my fault for not fitting in but hey...seems like the greatest city in the world should have a little niche for everybody. I can't seem to find mine anymore.

I want to reiterate that I'm not down on Manhattan or NYC as a whole, just the nightlife - there are other aspects that I'll always love and always keep me coming back. I can kill a day walking around any one of the other four boroughs too, I love it all.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,654,391 times
Default Uh huh

Quote:
I moved here in Oct from Boston and am stunned at how unimpressed I am by Manhattan.

The nightlife sucks. Every bar is a typical bar that plays just 80s music. The clubs and lounges are full of insecure, arrogant kids who all have the same story. It is a great city if you have never really lived it up and thinking that an unnecessarily fast-paced, expensive place compensates for that. Lucky for the city there are people who do live by that mentality.

How many people could you have possibly spoken with? What did you do, talk with five or six people and just decide that "they all have the same story"? Maybe you were conducting a sociological experiment, though.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,104,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Hahah...I have "rated this post positively", that's great. Keep diggin in the crates.

I can relate to the original poster's frustration. Don't get me wrong, I still think NYC is and always will be the greatest city in the world - but I'm in my 20s, as I imagine he is, and a big part of my life revolves around going out on the weekend, killing brain cells and trying to find something that could possibly bear my children one day. I work hard all week and I'm not getting any younger, nothing wrong with having a good time... right? Granted I'm not even from NYC and I like living out here in Nassau County with my old Jeep and cheap cigarettes, but I grew up in awe of Manhattan and have been going there since I was old enough to buy an LIRR ticket. When I was younger and everything was new it was all so fascinating and exciting, but over the years that luster has worn off and now I see it as a really lonely place where a night out will only net me a headache and an empty wallet.

Even in my lifetime, I've seen the people and attitudes drastically change. I know it's cliche to rag on the hipsters/yuppies/whatevers but these people are all so uniform and not at all interested in associating outside of their Myspace.com buddy list. Seems like nobody wants to party, everybody just wants to stand around looking fancy, smoking cloves and keeping their hairdo looking like a shotgun exit wound. I never went for the more upscale places and the clubs are full of the princesses and roided up bros from Jersey and South Shore LI. A whole lot of standing around looking awkward no matter where I go....it's a shame, I guess it's really my fault for not fitting in but hey...seems like the greatest city in the world should have a little niche for everybody. I can't seem to find mine anymore.

I want to reiterate that I'm not down on Manhattan or NYC as a whole, just the nightlife - there are other aspects that I'll always love and always keep me coming back. I can kill a day walking around any one of the other four boroughs too, I love it all.
lol..this was a humorous post........I think you guys just need to go experience the nightlife in another city for a while, and then you will again appreciate the nightlife in New York. You have just gotten spoiled living here.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 AM

395 posts, read 491,839 times
^^^^ yeah..the op should know since he is from boston. i heard everything shut down at night like after 8 pm in boston like bars, subway etc.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times
This whole thread was amusing, except for sean sean sean's comment about looking for "something that can bear my children" when I think he meant he was looking to date a woman. That I found disgustingly pathetic. And if he wants to move out of here I hope he does. One fewer person in NYC with that kind of disregard for women will make this a better place.

As for the OP, it's really time for you to examine exactly why you are not able to tap into more interesting sorts of things here. That's your fault, not the city's, because there are incredible things out there to do, incredible people to meet and connections to be made. It's a shortcoming of yours that you can't figure out how to make it happen for yourself.

But actually, it doesn't sound like anyone would be too sad if you went back to Boston, so maybe you should.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 AM

162 posts, read 272,294 times
Quote:

I thought I was paranoid until I started asking around and it seems that everyone here agrees that Manhattan, and all of NYC really, has lots its edge, character and energy. Brooklyn is sort of on the come up, but quickly becoming mainstream and commercialized in its mentality.

Most young people I know here who are single want to leave. If one has a family here, then I imagine it is different.

I love New York. But I gotta say these days it is better to visit than to live in. And I am a very outgoing dude and love to go out etc.

In terms of people, yes, people from everywhere are here, but the ethnic meshing is not very good and people perceive everyone else as a "clique," which makes them cliquey. Almost impossible to meet people from other groups here.

I just had to share. I think this place is super overrated and I can't wait to leave.

NYC is great for museums and culture, but it's better to just visit for that stuff.

I'm curious, what cities do you think are "good"? Boston? Do you honestly think Boston has better nightlife than New York?

Maybe it's time you leave and free-up that apartment if you're unimpressed? Plenty of people looking to take your spot. There is no need in living life unhappy and unimpressed.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM

274 posts, read 1,110,125 times
To some extent, Manhattan is definitely turning into a plain jane, upper middle class burb. In most parts you'll see the same thing on each block: Starbucks, drugstore, condo, bank, condo, bank, Starbucks, condo, panhandler.

As for nightlife, I have to disagree with the 80s music thing. Plenty of decent music.

However, you are correct that Manhattan nightlife is clique-ish. Used to be better. While there are more nightspots than any other city, most lack the "let's party, get drunk, and screw" vibe that other cities have. Bottle service is a relatively recent phenomenon and cool places now are overrun by corporate parties reserved by suits trying to impress their female subordinates.

Yuppies taking over Manhattan nightlife are more concerned about appearances than actually meeting people. I can't count the number of times I've seen a group of 3-6 people standing in the same corner all night long and not mingling. And for the minority who are actually mingling, the first thing out their mouth is, "Where do you live?" in order to figure out your cachet. God forbid you don't live in some "acceptable" neighborhood.

The standard response of "Oh NYC nightlife is great because bars stay open till 4 am!!!" is nonsense. 2 am is the perfect closing time. It allows you to take your new friend back to the "after-party" at your place while they are still awake and semi-sober.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City