Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:54 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Its not like you get a lot to show for it with property taxes. roads are a mess, streets barely cleaned, public schools are bad. At least in LI/NJ you have good schools and a clean neighborhood.

Ill take higher taxes for better schools, cheaper than 30-40k a year on private school

We've been down this road before, and anyone considering buying a home knows the deal.

You can remain in NYC and pay lower property taxes, but schools, roads and everything else you mentioned basically stink. That and or you have to choose carefully and even then make concessions. That is sending your kid to private school while dealing with the hot mess that is NYC roads/infrastructure.

Or, you can move out to parts of NJ, Westchester, LI and pay *MORE* in property taxes but have access to excellent schools, healthcare, and other amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Its not like you get a lot to show for it with property taxes. roads are a mess, streets barely cleaned, public schools are bad. At least in LI/NJ you have good schools and a clean neighborhood.

Ill take higher taxes for better schools, cheaper than 30-40k a year on private school
Cleanliness of a neighborhood and quality of zoned schools (primary and middle) vary greatly depending on the neighborhood, no?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Cleanliness of a neighborhood and quality of zoned schools (primary and middle) vary greatly depending on the neighborhood, no?
To an extent yes; but if you make things too nice in your area out come the SJWs who will attempt to push in all sorts in name of "equality".

Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Single and two family homeowners in New York City are some of if the most coddled in entire state property tax wise. You only have to compare similar properties in parts of LI, NJ and Westchester to see what crushing property taxes truly look like.

Yet even with all the baked in cake incentives plenty still moan about needing property tax "relief".
Do you own property in the city? I'm just curious.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2018, 05:45 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
South Florida is NYC's 6th borough/retire place so that should count in changing this poll.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
Yea but I have a nice size yard and no one can tell me I can't have my two dogs. I'm on a quiet street and have a two family house where my Mother has the first floor apt. and my taxes are under 5,000. I like the advantages.
there are lots of non financial reasons why a house is nice to have . but financial reasons are not always going to be a win .

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
We've been down this road before, and anyone considering buying a home knows the deal.

You can remain in NYC and pay lower property taxes, but schools, roads and everything else you mentioned basically stink. That and or you have to choose carefully and even then make concessions. That is sending your kid to private school while dealing with the hot mess that is NYC roads/infrastructure.

Or, you can move out to parts of NJ, Westchester, LI and pay *MORE* in property taxes but have access to excellent schools, healthcare, and other amenities.
don't forget we have a city income tax .

Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
To an extent yes; but if you make things too nice in your area out come the SJWs who will attempt to push in all sorts in name of "equality".
Not if you live on the South Shore of Staten Island. There are huge benefits to living in a place that young lefties hate! My kid’s school (actually two schools) are both very good, and will remain that way at least until high school. Even then, our public schools are definitely good enough to choose over private school costs. I did go to private school, but I got a scholarship. Would have never happened without it.

As I’ve said a million times before, I’d never live in another part of this city. Not a chance. When I leave this area, it will be to move far away, but I am open to keeping this house for my kids if they plan to stay in NYC.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you own property in the city? I'm just curious.

Own property elsewhere, but not in NYC. Crunched those numbers years ago and it didn't then nor now make sense. Besides what does owning or not in NY have to do with anything?

Anyone with a decent education and enough sense can run the calculations and make decisions.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not if you live on the South Shore of Staten Island. There are huge benefits to living in a place that young lefties hate! My kid’s school (actually two schools) are both very good, and will remain that way at least until high school. Even then, our public schools are definitely good enough to choose over private school costs. I did go to private school, but I got a scholarship. Would have never happened without it.

As I’ve said a million times before, I’d never live in another part of this city. Not a chance. When I leave this area, it will be to move far away, but I am open to keeping this house for my kids if they plan to stay in NYC.
We're all on Todt Hill, Rosebank, Bulls Head and Silver Lake. With a smattering around Westerleigh.

But yes, agree with you that South Shore is a great place to own/raise a family. Didn't they just open that nice new TOL public elementary school out by you?

Public high schools on SI starting declining in quality when city got rid of zoning IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City