Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Yes they did. I remember Greenpoint from 1990. Astoria was getting overrun by poor Hispanics and was not much better.
Well I guess that settles that, amirite folks?

Quote:
Well. You seem to hold a grudge against yuppies, i.e. young urban professionals, so I am simply asking what exactly irks you about them: the fact that they are young, urban or employed as professionals?
I've hardly commented on this thread. Do I bash yupsters (not yuppies the way you keep alluding to) on these forums? Yeah at times. It's humorous to see folks get all red in the face to hear that not everybody thinks that these marshmallows are god's gift to every square inch of nyc. And this is coming from a white guy who has never been priced out of anywhere.

Quote:
That's where you get your knowledge about life?

Yup, a humorous anecdote is where I get my life knowledge. You got it fella.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Right, right. And it has nothing to do with gentrification of some previously undesirable areas of the city. It just happened. See Detroit.

Read "a large portion of the country" not "the entire country".

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM

248 posts, read 289,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[color=violet
23917643[/color] (tel:23917643 - broken link)]Read "a large portion of the country" not "the entire country".
Right

Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername
Yup, a humorous anecdote is where I get my life knowledge. You got it fella.
So you get your life knowledge from sitcoms. That explains a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;
I've hardly commented on this thread. Do I bash yupsters (not yuppies the way you keep alluding to) on these forums? Yeah at times. It's humorous to see folks get all red in the face to hear that not everybody thinks that these marshmallows are god's gift to every square inch of nyc.
I think you just envy their upward mobility. That's all. I for that matter can't be happier seeing Alphabet City, Harlem, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Williamsburg revitalized and looking better than ever before and just happen to realize that this would never occur without the massive influx of young urban professionals.
God bless yuppies!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So you get your life knowledge from sitcoms. That explains a lot.
This attempt at wit doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
I think you just envy their upward mobility. That's all. I for that matter can't be happier seeing Alphabet City, Harlem, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Williamsburg revitalized and looking better than ever before and just happen to realize that this would never occur without the massive influx of young urban professionals.
God bless yuppies!

Yes brother, you got me. I am totally envious of this guy and all of his alpha-ness.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Simple as this, broke kids move to undesirable locations that have promise. They get their friends to think it's cool. The creative ambitious ones design quirky interesting things to change the area. The ones with money invest in shops and transform rough areas on the cheap. Word grows, hipsters move in to escape higher rents, they make it their own, then they themselves get kicked out by fakesters.

The hipsters that move in later usually are just trying to trendy. They don't have the same DIY attitude. To me, I think hipsters are important. They are willing to move to the not so safe areas and make them vibrant and interesting. Is that really a bad thing? Are people that upset by hipsters/yuppies that they are willing to let druglords and theives move in as long as they aren't eating organic and buying vintage clothes? Seems pretty petty to me.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername;[color=violet
23918207[/color] (tel:23918207 - broken link)]
Yes brother, you got me. I am totally envious of this guy and all of his alpha-ness.
That's OK. I am pretty sure he envies your intelligence as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This attempt at wit doesn't even make sense.

Clearly you are. Yuppies and Hipsters are doing more in one day to reform bad neighborhoods then you will do in your whole life. It's not just hipsters and yuppies that transform, but they definitely work hard to provide value to this city. If you want to dump on them, they would be glad to allow the areas to be warzones and take their creativeness elsewhere.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM

555 posts, read 1,184,025 times
Maybe someone can give me a better idea on this subject.
But is it me or does the city seem to go in dramatic cycles.
mid 1800s-1900s it was a crazy rat house. You had places like 5 points and it was murderville USA
then it turned around In the 40s-50s-60s it was beautiful thriving and people weere probably having simliar conversation to what we are having now, and how they could not imagine living here or being around x amount of years ago
then the 70s-80s-90s hit and it went bad again. Murder at a all time high and people made a run for it.
00-present. Its nice, city clean, prices up and people could not imagine living in the 70-80-90s here.
So I guess enjoy it now while it last and for all those who want the "real" new york back we will just have to wait another decade or so.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly;[color=violet
23918909[/color] (tel:23918909 - broken link)]To me, I think hipsters are important. They are willing to move to the not so safe areas and make them vibrant and interesting. Is that really a bad thing? Are people that upset by hipsters/yuppies that they are willing to let druglords and theives move in as long as they aren't eating organic and buying vintage clothes? Seems pretty petty to me.
Not only petty but stupid. All the business and homeowners in Greenpoint and Wiliambsurg thank God every day for the hipster/yupster bonanza that was given to them by the Higher Being. I cant believe there are people complaining about the gentrification and wealth coming to once run down neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City