Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM

15 posts, read 31,627 times

Advertisements

Hey Im an 18 yr old male just finishing high school in June, seriously thinking of hitting NYC this summer but the funds are low. Ive heard WH, Inwood & Mott Haven have reasonably cheap rent..

Anyone wanna tell me what Washington Heights is like??? Im thinkin of gettin a FLAT there during the summer. Whats the rent like in WH,Inwood & MH? and for a short stay(3months) how much $$$ would you reccommend I bring for accomodation,food,boxing gym(essential..will eat little to box)? I already have a job lined up in a pub around Union Square...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
You'll have to find a sublet for such a short time. There are a lot of students in Washington Heights/Inwood, so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who needs someone else to pay the rent over the summer. I'd start looking on Craig's List now.

I have no idea what new rents are. If you find someone with a stabilized place you could pay as little as $800. But probably more like $1000-1300.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
check sublet.com for short term rentals

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
It will be difficult to find a place for just one summer

But if plan on going to school the next fall might as well rent for year

Wash Hi is good because the rooms are friggin humongous and the rent is cheap for rooms that humongous, plus it is not as bad as everyone wants you to believe

Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
I disagree with the rooms in the Heights being humongous. Maybe where you live, but when I have gone the rooms have been tiny. The ones in the Bronx are more spacious IMO.

As to the OP, those are three bad neighborhoods. However, Inwood and WH don't begin to compare to Mott Haven. Maybe in their prime, but certainly not anymore. However, make sure you walk around Inwood and WH. It is more of a ghetto than anything.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishKarlito View Post
Hey Im an 18 yr old male just finishing high school in June, seriously thinking of hitting NYC this summer but the funds are low. Ive heard WH, Inwood & Mott Haven have reasonably cheap rent..

Anyone wanna tell me what Washington Heights is like??? Im thinkin of gettin a FLAT there during the summer. Whats the rent like in WH,Inwood & MH? and for a short stay(3months) how much $$$ would you reccommend I bring for accomodation,food,boxing gym(essential..will eat little to box)? I already have a job lined up in a pub around Union Square...
Well I don't consider Wash Heights and Inwood that cheap anymore. If you want a truly cheap rent, the Bronx is the way to go. Unless you are just going to rent a room. If your just renting a room, you should be able to find something cheap in the Heights or Inwood.

I'll skip the bad neighborhood or areas lecture because your a boxer and your a guy so you should be alright. Plus Wash Heights and Inwood are pretty safe these days.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I would just rent a room from someone looking for a roommate and live in a better area closer to your job!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 PM

166 posts, read 705,596 times
Inwood is gentrifying more quickly than Wash. Heights, especially the area west of Broadway. It's pretty much majority white now west of Broadway in Inwood. East of Broadway in Inwood and then most of Washington Heights is mainly Dominican. I lived in Inwood for a while and never felt unsafe at anytime. These neighbourhoods tend to be some of the noisiest in the city though, so if you value peace and quiet you might want to look elsewhere. It will be easier and a lot cheaper for you if you are looking for a roomate situation rather than getting your own place. I split a two bedroom in Inwood with someone and we only had to pay about $700 each.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM

15 posts, read 31,627 times
Im just up for the adventure after leaving school & before starting college in Ireland. Im prepared to live in the projects once its in or about Manhattan. Although im not too sure if I can get a project place, considering ill be a "tourist" for 3 months, is it possible??. Do you think once I cough up some good rent I could get a place in the Projects???

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishKarlito View Post
Im just up for the adventure after leaving school & before starting college in Ireland. Im prepared to live in the projects once its in or about Manhattan. Although im not too sure if I can get a project place, considering ill be a "tourist" for 3 months, is it possible??. Do you think once I cough up some good rent I could get a place in the Projects???
Lol. Why do you want to live in the Projects? Are you serious?

If you want to go to the projects to practice your boxing skills you should know they don't box in the projects, they shoot.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-03-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City