Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No. I lived that experience and people like you can only imagine what it was from the outside and can only make catty comments on something you’ll never experience. Yes but sucks to be some of you.
What exactly is your job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,265 times
Enlighten us about the Columbia experience, and how special it is. Is their administration "diverse", equal, and on par with CUNY "community" colleges?

From the looks of the Columbia campus, your instructors are a whole team of Greek Gods, Plato and Zeus. Everybody on the campus looks so bright and smart and perfect.

Yeah I have a buddy who attended Columbia Univiersity, had a hard time, and left with a degree in Narcotics Anonymous.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
I'd like you to provide citations to the research to back up your statement. The School of General Studies is not going to accept just anybody... Columbia GS was my first choice in NYC, but I was at poverty level at the time, so I did not even bother applying...
Wait a second. If you didn't even bother to apply, how do you know if you would have been accepted or not?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,729,934 times
people like you can only imagine what it was from the outside and can only make catty comments on something you’ll never experience. Yes but sucks to be some of you.

Sweetie, I don't know how to break this to you, but I didn't even bother applying to Columbia. I went to a better school. Where, I might add, I didn't feel the need to make up stories about my classmates' backgrounds and then judge their worthiness to be there on that speculative basis.

Your education clearly didn't do you much good if it left your mind still dominated by ignorant stereotypes of your actual classmates. Geez.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Wait a second. If you didn't even bother to apply, how do you know if you would have been accepted or not?
Some people have unbelievable confidence in their abilities!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
people like you can only imagine what it was from the outside and can only make catty comments on something you’ll never experience. Yes but sucks to be some of you.

Sweetie, I don't know how to break this to you, but I didn't even bother applying to Columbia. I went to a better school. Where, I might add, I didn't feel the need to make up stories about my classmates' backgrounds and then judge their worthiness to be there on that speculative basis.

Your education clearly didn't do you much good if it left your mind still dominated by ignorant stereotypes of your actual classmates. Geez.
I have no stereotypes about my classmates. I made comments about certain students who went to the school of GS. Again you people understand nothing about Columbia or the Ivy League having never attended, and you have no business speaking out on something you know nothing about.

I never attended MIT, have no idea what it's like and would never say what it's like to go there because I do not know.

Back to Columbia. GS students do not have the resources of Columbia College students. Columbia College students are far wealthier and Columbia College endowment is much greater than that of the school of GS. GS students at Columbia (the ones not wealthy) do not have access to the institutional financial aid that Columbia College, the engineering school, or Barnard students have.

Apparently stating factual statements has some of you hysterical. Fine. Get hysterical.

The fact that some of you had to shift this conversation to attempt to attack me personally is because you do not know enough about Columbia to discuss it. This thread isn't about me or what I do (I will say I got a fantastic return of investment on my education and leave it at that).

Old 09-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Stormgal, ultimately the price tag at Columbia University is so expensive that I decided not to apply. A few other variables came into play but the price tag is unbelievably too much, if you ask me. Also to be perfectly honest my academic ability is not up to snuff with Columbia University. As I gathered, some of the top students in the world attend Columbia and even they say it's tough to make it.

Also I would have been paying Out-of-state tuition at the time.

Figuring out what college is best to attend and how to do it is harder to figure out than the actual classes.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Back to Columbia. GS students do not have the resources of Columbia College students. Columbia College students are far wealthier and Columbia College endowment is much greater than that of the school of GS. GS students at Columbia (the ones not wealthy) do not have access to the institutional financial aid that Columbia College, the engineering school, or Barnard students have.
^^ This is the same thing I learned about - that GS is different. They say it is the same thing, but it really is not. Am I right or am I right?

Their School of General Studies is for people who have taken somewhat off-course paths in life. That is what attracted me to it. Also the campus itself is very beautiful with bright students about, and I am bright and beautiful too.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
I have no stereotypes about my classmates. I made comments about certain students who went to the school of GS. Again you people understand nothing about Columbia or the Ivy League having never attended, and you have no business speaking out on something you know nothing about.

I never attended MIT, have no idea what it's like and would never say what it's like to go there because I do not know.

Apparently stating factual statements has some of you hysterical. Fine. Get hysterical.

The fact that some of you had to shift this conversation to attempt to attack me personally is because you do not know enough about Columbia to discuss it. This thread isn't about me or what I do (I will say I got a fantastic return of investment on my education and leave it at that).
But what does 'your personal Columbia experience' have to do with the fact that this dean allegedly sexually harassed this student? Deans/ dean's offices at colleges deal with all sorts of problems that students have, including housing issues. He was way out of line here.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
After Harford allegedly connected her with resources and paying her $500 of his own money, the student claims that she and Harford engaged in a relationship and that the dean continued to take advantage of her vulnerability and escalated his inappropriate behavior, engaging in sexual acts, offering to buy her a dress, and asking for her address.

So he paid her $500 and she screwed him. That is usually called prostitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City