Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,516,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You seem hard-headed. The current gentrification in Bed Stuy is being driven by yuppies who can afford 1.5mm brownstones. This is basically the Park Slope crowd who's looking for a better bargain when they buy.

Bushwick is being gentrified by 30,-50k /year types who live with roommates.
That's pretty much what I observed but there's some overlap of course.

7th said that the Bushwick gentrification is spillover from Bed Stuy and I disagree with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:01 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,365,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's pretty much what I observed but there's some overlap of course.

7th said that the Bushwick gentrification is spillover from Bed Stuy and I disagree with that
It is in the sense that certain whites are being priced out by other, wealthier whites.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM

37,294 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
You seem hard-headed. The current gentrification in Bed Stuy is being driven by yuppies who can afford 1.5mm brownstones. This is basically the Park Slope crowd who's looking for a better bargain when they buy.

Bushwick is being gentrified by 30,-50k /year types who live with roommates.
Two other factors--there's also a lot of condo conversions in Bed-Stuy and not just yuppie reach for single family homes, though Bed-Stuy is unique in having a lot of the latter as well. Another thing is that there's actually a large amount of new construction within Bed-Stuy as well whether rentals or condos. There's both the 30,-50k /year types who live with roommates and the yuppies getting rowhouses for their family happening simultaneously.

One other thing which I think was mentioned in previous topics that discussed this is that Bushwick with its very tight street grid also has a lot of units and a higher population density. You need for a larger sheer number of people to change over in a given set of blocks for it to look like a large proportion of people have changed out.

And maybe it's too obvious so no one is saying anything, but the L train shutdown portends that a lot more people are going to be shifting down to Bed-Stuy as has already been happening for years and is now really picking up steam.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM

499 posts, read 795,481 times
Bed-Stuy is gentrifying faster in a more low-key residential way like Fort Greene and Clinton Hill already have. Bushwick is trendier.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Before gentrification took off Bedstuy not only had better housing stock, Bedstuy had better retail including grocery stores. More affluent people were attracted to Bedstuy for that alone. Bushbuck was more industrial and with crappier housing stock and less retail options. Great for attracting new cool clubs or music places, but not the place older and more affluent people.

Of course lots of young people rent in Bedstuy as well, but you also had major renovation of existing housing stock that could attract a better crowd.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 AM

30,709 posts, read 18,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Housing stock and demographics are probably the biggest two.
I read somewhere before (could have been Brownstoner, but I forget) that Bushwick once had a housing stock similar to brownstone Bed Stuy, but that many of those houses were torn down over the years due to various reasons, whereas Bed Stuy was left relatively untouched.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I read somewhere before (could have been Brownstoner, but I forget) that Bushwick once had a housing stock similar to brownstone Bed Stuy, but that many of those houses were torn down over the years due to various reasons, whereas Bed Stuy was left relatively untouched.
Bushwick still has a lot of rowhouses but not too many true brownstones to my knowledge. And if what you're saying is true, I wonder when that took place.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Before gentrification took off Bedstuy not only had better housing stock, Bedstuy had better retail including grocery stores. More affluent people were attracted to Bedstuy for that alone. Bushbuck was more industrial and with crappier housing stock and less retail options. Great for attracting new cool clubs or music places, but not the place older and more affluent people.

Of course lots of young people rent in Bedstuy as well, but you also had major renovation of existing housing stock that could attract a better crowd.
I find's Bushwick's industrial nature to be overstated a little bit, most of the neighborhood is nothing but apartment buildings and rowhouses (mostly not new ones).

Old 09-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It is in the sense that certain whites are being priced out by other, wealthier whites.
It would really be more like white people from all directions

This is anecdotal of course, but most of the white people I personally know who live or lived in Bushwick did not come from Bed Stuy, either straight from Long Island or a white part of NYC.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Two other factors--there's also a lot of condo conversions in Bed-Stuy and not just yuppie reach for single family homes, though Bed-Stuy is unique in having a lot of the latter as well. Another thing is that there's actually a large amount of new construction within Bed-Stuy as well whether rentals or condos. There's both the 30,-50k /year types who live with roommates and the yuppies getting rowhouses for their family happening simultaneously.

One other thing which I think was mentioned in previous topics that discussed this is that Bushwick with its very tight street grid also has a lot of units and a higher population density. You need for a larger sheer number of people to change over in a given set of blocks for it to look like a large proportion of people have changed out.

And maybe it's too obvious so no one is saying anything, but the L train shutdown portends that a lot more people are going to be shifting down to Bed-Stuy as has already been happening for years and is now really picking up steam.
Bed Stuy's population density is pretty similar to Bushwick if I'm not mistaken. Both in the 50-60k ppsm range

I think the Bushwick gentrification is chugging along pretty well even with the upcoming L train shutdown, the M train and J train cover a lot of ground. And a lot of Ridgewood is walking distance to the M train too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City