Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:08 PM

782 posts, read 527,656 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/n...e=sectionfront

Ugh, this is one of my worst fears...being stuck in a subway elevator. Yesterday, more than a dozen people were stuck in the elevator at the Clark Street 2/3 station in Brooklyn Heights. No one was hurt thankfully. Has anyone had this unfortunate experience?

The article mentioned this was one of three subway stations that are accessible by elevator only. What are the other two? I’m pretty sure the R train at Montague Street was like that though that might have changed since the Hurricane Sandy work (I haven’t used that station since). What do you think are the others? Maybe in upper Manhattan? I remember taking elevators for some of the A train and 1 train stops and to get to the Cloisters.

Edit: I take back the Montague Street R train comment. I just remembered one could transfer to the 2/3 or 4/5 Borough Hall trains from there so there must have been a non-elevator exit.

Last edited by MC305; 10-02-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/n...e=sectionfront

Ugh, this is one of my worst fears...being stuck in a subway elevator. Yesterday, more than a dozen people were stuck in the elevator at the Clark Street 2/3 station in Brooklyn Heights. No one was hurt thankfully. Has anyone had this unfortunate experience?

The article mentioned this was one of three subway stations that are accessible by elevator only. What are the other two? I’m pretty sure the R train at Montague Street was like that though that might have changed since the Hurricane Sandy work (I haven’t used that station since). What do you think are the others? Maybe in upper Manhattan? I remember taking elevators for some of the A train and 1 train stops and to get to the Cloisters.
Those two stations in Washington Heights on the 1 line. 168th and 181st.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:23 PM

1,486 posts, read 990,011 times
Been stuck many times in project elevators waiting 3 - 5 hours for fire department to come and get us out. Now im cool as a cucumber whenever im stuck in any confined space

Old 10-02-2018, 05:40 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times
When I saw this article in NYTimes, I was like, ok, that’s it, no more elevator for me on any platform. I won’t die, but suffering in the elevator is not something I look forward to. Phew!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:15 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Been stuck many times in project elevators waiting 3 - 5 hours for fire department to come and get us out. Now im cool as a cucumber whenever im stuck in any confined space
Wow. you are my hero!
The smell of urine or feces would have knocked me out.............
Worst was getting stuck in a project elevator in which a whino spilled his guts.
Now that's just as bad if not worse than a swarm of rotting Zombies

Old 10-02-2018, 10:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
was gonna say, the worst part of that would be the reeking stench of p|ss

law$uit city

Old 10-03-2018, 04:48 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,365 times
Deepest station at 191st on the 1 is also elevator access only.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Deepest station at 191st on the 1 is also elevator access only.
Big capacity elevators that break down all the time. Imagine being stuck in there with a clausterphobic crazie that starts going off

Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
Getting stuck in a subway elevator is one of my worst nightmares as well. They're just moving urinals.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:40 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You're a better man than me because I was once stuck alone in an elevator in my condo bldg.
Don't know which is worse. To be stuck alone or with someone you don't want to be stuck with!
Anyway, I was calm at first because I noticed there was a telephone only to find out it doesn't work!
Then the panic started. I pressed the alarm bell and it took forever for the maintenance crew to come by.
Kept thinking about that poor man that was stuck in an elevator at his office bldg for three days because
it happened during the weekend.

I don't like elevators. Especially MTA elevators. I avoid them at all costs but I had to take some line
(I forget which) to B'klyn and the elevator is the only way to exit. I was nervous throughout the slow
ascent and vowed never to get off that particular stop again. I don't trust elevators. People have been
decapitated being stuck between floors, prying the doors open, and trying to hoist themselves up or down only for the elevator car to suddenly decide to activate.

I was also stuck in a "renegade" elevator where it kept shooting up and down the various floors. This time the elevator telephone worked but when the maintenance crew asked what floor I was on I said, "how the **** do I know. The lights are off and the elevator has a mind of it's own and is just zipping up and down floors!".

Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: