Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:48 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

In my 68 years, just once, and that was too much! It's something you don't forget very easily!

It was in a high rise hotel, and we were packed in like sardines, and being claustrophobic? It was only 20 minutes or so but it seemed like hours. No place to sit down. And having dry mouth, I had no water with me!

Henceforth, I've made it a rule if the elevator is too packed, I exit and wait for the next one, just in case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
No, but I did have what I would consider a claustrophobic experience in your neck of the woods, going with a large group to the 50th floor Voodoo Lounge at the Rio. Then we all left at the same time to go to the Penn & Teller show so same thing going down. I'm very happy that it diidn't get stuck!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I've never been trapped in an elevator but once in New Orleans, I exited one on an abandoned and darkened office floor in a hi-rise. Imagine my surprise when the elevator doors closed behind me as I stood in the hallway in pitch blackness. And no, the elevator buttons on the floor were also not lit. I learned that day what it would be like to be blind.

Also, while still in D.C., we had a lady step into an empty elevator shaft at the South Agriculture Building.

At my age, I hope to make it my rule to never again go near an elevator.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:40 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
I am horribly claustrophobic about elevators and will use the stairs if at all possible. I've never actually been trapped, but I do remember once when I was working in a high rise building and had to use the elevator several times a day. I was never happy to be in there, because I always worried that I'd get trapped, and one time I will never forget, I got in and pushed the button and instead of going to my floor, it went at a higher speed than usual all the way to the top, paused for a second, and then went all the way to the bottom. I was pushing all the buttons like a madwoman, but nothing made a difference. When it got to the bottom, the doors started to open. I heaved a huge sigh of relief, and got ready to get out of there--then pure panic set in again as I realized the doors had opened onto a solid brick wall. After probably 15 seconds (which went by like three hours for me), the doors closed again and the elevator shot back up to the floor I had wanted. It was like a nightmare.

That really exacerbated my fear of being trapped in an elevator. Some years later, I had a good friend who had moved to a luxury high rise. I decided, enough with this ridiculous fear of elevators--I'm going to go visit her and go up on the elevator. I was so nervous ahead of time, I actually prayed that it would be all right and I wouldn't be scared. I was very amused when I actually got on the elevator, because two other people got on with me. One was the cheery building superintendent, with his two way radio and all his keys and knowledge of how elevators work, and the other was a woman who had clearly just come back from Target and had wheeled a shopping cart full of water and food into the elevator with us. It was like an answer to the question, If you got stuck in an elevator, what two people would you want with you?"

Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Was stuck in an elevator for about 30 minutes. I was on the way to deal with an unhappy passenger. While in the elevator the power went out. Seems no one thought to include the elevator with everything else getting power from the back-up generators. I was actually very happy to be stuck in the elevator as someone else had to deal with the passenger.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Oh yes! We had an eccentric elevator at work. This was during the daytime and there were Security Officers all over the place; all the time, because the state governor also worked in the building. So there were no worries. The longest I was trapped was about six minutes. Just another day on the job...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:25 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I see in the Real Estate magazines of houses with elevators in the house! I can't imagine it! What would happen, living in a house, no one else around in the house, the power goes out, and the elevator stalls?

Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Just once with a co worker in a new office building, only 10 minutes until we were rescued.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see in the Real Estate magazines of houses with elevators in the house! I can't imagine it! What would happen, living in a house, no one else around in the house, the power goes out, and the elevator stalls?
The modern home elevator has the ability to go back to the bottom in the event of a power failure, and has a backup battery for the interior light. They are becoming more common now as more retirees decide to stay where they are but have issues with stairs. The Pneumatic elevators are easier to install and cost only $35,000 - $50,000.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
No but it seemed forever riding with stinky perfume and a mix of toxic cigarette smoke laden clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics