Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 592,878 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in California.

Whenever I think of Hawaii, the only thought in my mind is that it must be hard to be trapped in one little area without the freedom to drive to different states easily. Yes I realize you could just hop on a plane, but that must be a hassle having to buy a plane ticket every time you want to go somewhere, rather than just driving your own car to the next state.

Do people in Hawaii feel like they are trapped in a box? I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand a place I have never been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
Hello. I live in California.

Whenever I think of Hawaii, the only thought in my mind is that it must be hard to be trapped in one little area without the freedom to drive to different states easily. Yes I realize you could just hop on a plane, but that must be a hassle having to buy a plane ticket every time you want to go somewhere, rather than just driving your own car to the next state.

Do people in Hawaii feel like they are trapped in a box? I am not trying to be rude, just trying to understand a place I have never been to.
Do a SEARCH for island fever

Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM

62 posts, read 223,518 times
I do not live there full time yet but will shortly. I have heard of "island fever" but personlly, I do not understand it. Honestly, where you live now....how often (other than say work) do you actually go more than 25 miles from your house? Yes, I understand you can...but how often do you actually do it? Thats just my two cents and my take on the whole thing

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
hawaii bound said it in a nut shell. yes you can hop in your car and drive for a week and get to new york but do you? how often do you drive to another state. even when I lived on the mainland I hate to sit in a car for hours or days and would always take a plane given a chance. some people get bored here which is island fever. however most of us don't. it is a lovely "box"

Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

104 posts, read 253,067 times
I'm not from Hawaii either, but have visited and love it.

I find that whenever I have the urge to get into my car and "just drive" it is inevitably to the ocean or a beach town.

The last time I just got in my car to drive somewhere was a trip last year to Hilton Head, Savannah, Charleston.

For some people, probably for many who find themselves in HI, the draw of the ocean and a beautiful beach is very strong. I could see spending a lifetime taking weekend trips to different beaches in HI, or going on hikes in remote parks, or other similar activities. Not perma-vacation or anything, just weekend or day trips.

For others, though, the draw of the open road is very strong, or the need to see the change of season, or the love of winter sports. My bet is this group would probably feel cooped-up in HI.

Point is that everyone's definition of being in a box is probably very different.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM

168 posts, read 726,492 times
i live a few hours south of chicago & w/ the exception of the city there is nothing around here worth driving to that isn't a 12+ hour drive. (in my opinion 12 hours of driving is horrible & i would defintily fly) with in the last two years the only places I have driven that are more than an hour away with the exception of chicago are twice to the ozarks to go boating etc for a long weekend & to northern wisconsin to go boating again w/ some friends for a week. living here we drive so far b/c everything is so spread out.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM

155 posts, read 516,228 times
If I want to go to Portland or Seattle from where I live, it's a 3 hour drive. To go to my parent's house on the Washington coast, it's a 6 hour drive one way. I drive it all the time. I go to Portland all the time cause they have an Ikea plus that is the airport I mostly leave from going to Hawaii. Of course it's all freeway doing 65-70 mph! The only instance of island fever I got was when I was doing my assignment there and had no car. It would have been nice to just get in a car and drive anywhere instead of relying on family or the crazy-ass Bus drivers who take corners thinking they are driving NASCAR!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM

292 posts, read 948,822 times
I live upstate NY and I could drive to Montreal, Boston or NYC. Each is a 3 hour drive. But I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone more than 30 miles from my house in the last 5 years. Plus I never really go anywhere.. I love my house, my gardens, my koi. Nothing would make me happier than when I make that box named Kauai my home!!

ps I have a basement of koi that only get to swim outside 3 months a year.. I am selling my furniture but taking ALL my filtration with me.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
I live in the box that they call Western New York Id rather live in a better box! Oh wait I will

Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
If I lived on Maui or low population island, I would feel that way.

In Honolulu, it's really a city.

When I lived in other U.S. cities - like Portland OR, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco...I seldom if ever left them. I pretty much did everything right in the city everyday. Once in a great while, I would take a road trip, but it was fairly seldom.

Honestly, I think Honolulu would be the exact same thing, but then you can just fly to the Big Island and drive around - there is a lot of driving to be done there.

On the mainland US, it's really more driving oriented if you live out in the middle of nowhere. If a person is use to just living in a regular city in the U.S., the transitition to Honolulu would be pretty much the same, I'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii