Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM

91 posts, read 419,649 times

Advertisements

Yet another $$$ question.

For those of you who live in Hawaii *currently* and maybe wish they made more money to lead their current lifestyle...

Around how much money PER YEAR do you wish you had to lead what you would consider a COMFORTABLE lifestyle (according to your own standards)?

30K/year? 40-60K/year? 100-200K/year? 500K-1M/year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
It is just too subjective of a question.

What one person finds comfortable at 30k yr working 2 part-time jobs to achieve that, is another person's nightmare who thinks they have to make at least $100k in their one job just to survive.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
It is just too subjective of a question.

What one person finds comfortable at 30k yr working 2 part-time jobs to achieve that, is another person's nightmare who thinks they have to make at least $100k in their one job just to survive.

That's exactly why I am asking... because everyone's situation and expectations are different.

So do you think 30K is enough? 50K? etc... to satisfy your personal needs (whatever they may be) in Hawaii.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Where in Hawaii do you want to live? If in a waterfront home in Honolulu, then you'll need enough to buy a million dollar house. On the other hand, if you could live in a rural area on the Big Island, then you can get a very comfortable house for $200,000.

You could also choose to live off the grid, although in some places it isn't even a choice. Harness the sun and the wind, and then you can avoid paying the high energy costs. Grow your own produce, and eat more fish.

Your question is WAY too general to get any reasonable response. Are you single or do you have a family? What do YOU consider to be a "comfortable" lifestyle? Do you want to live the same way you are living on the mainland? How do you know that my "personal needs" are the same as yours? Bottom line, what are you looking for?

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 02-04-2010 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 AM

138 posts, read 355,067 times
I've lived on $1000 a month and $8000 a month. I had more fun on $8000. But overall happiness or unhappiness happened at both pay scales and all the ones in between. My dad says the only time he's seen me totally relaxed and content are the times I've lived on the beach. Each time I was closer to the bottom of the pay ranges.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
vic, take what you live on now and if that is comfortable for you that is what you should aim for here. you need all of the same things here that you do there. some people will live where others won't. some people will eat peanut butter for a month, some won't. some folks need a 3 bed. 2 bath home on a large lot, for others a 500 sq. foot condo for two is plenty. live simply, don't carry a lot of debt, drive cars that are paid off, don't buy a bunch of "stuff" and you find it easier to live here.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Where in Hawaii do you want to live? If in a waterfront home in Honolulu, then you'll need enough to buy a million dollar house. On the other hand, if you could live in a rural area on the Big Island, then you can get a very comfortable house for $200,000.

You could also choose to live off the grid, although in some places it isn't even a choice. Harness the sun and the wind, and then you can avoid paying the high energy costs. Grow your own produce, and eat more fish.

Your question is WAY too general to get any reasonable response. Are you single or do you have a family? What do YOU consider to be a "comfortable" lifestyle? Do you want to live the same way you are living on the mainland? How do you know that my "personal needs" are the same as yours? Bottom line, what are you looking for?

Man, you guys are killing me. The original question was *not* about how much *I* need to make per year to live comfortably in Hawaii.

The original question was how much *YOU* (the person reading this post right now) need to make a year to live *YOUR* lifestyle.

Therefore, the answer should be relatively easy since it pertains to YOU the reader.

-V

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Default And the winner is...

I would like 100K, free and clear, to live 'comfortably' in Hawaii. Right now,
50K meets the basics for living, keeping bills current, fridge filled, both gas tanks filled and all dogs groomed. 100K would allow more 'relaxing'.

There! I answered the question, I'm the winner. It's like pulling teeth to get a
straight answer.
Koale

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
120K after taxes would be a lot more comfortable than what we have now. But that's about twice what we have now and the half amount is what we have before taxes. Remove about 20% for taxes, either income or excise. However, the house is paid for, we are off grid (no electric bill), grow a lot of our own food, don't drive much because we can't afford the gas, don't travel much off island because of the same reason and don't shop much either. We buy very little at retail prices. The cars are always bought used and we fix them ourselves. We are comfortable on a day to day basis, but quite constrained. Things have been getting a lot tighter lately, too, so nothing has been put towards retirement or into savings for over a year now. If things get much tighter we will be in trouble. So, we are not comfortable in a long term sense, at all.

To live a lovely lifestyle, half a million or more a year wouldn't be bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Hey, Koale, we're just trying to answer a really vague and strangely worded question. I suppose that in order to answer we would also have to provide what makes us comfortable, which you and hotzcatz did, but it was a little difficult to figure out what the OP wanted. Most people who post here are wondering how much money they would need in order to get certain things that they want. So, in trying to be helpful, most of us who respond try to figure out what it is that the posters are looking for in the first place!!

Anyway, it's all good (I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: