Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Your dad was dropping BOMBs!!!!

You should tell your dad that you are thinking about suing him for PTSD. Say that you can't smell farts due to his tomfoolery. You can no longer fart and that you have nightmares.
I do in fact suffer from PTSD which was partially caused by my father. It was more from his belt tho....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I think there are two separate issues.

1. Everyone makes fun of New Jersey, not just New Yorkers.

2. New Yorkers make fun of most people, not just ones from New Jersey.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
May I share my thoughts on this....because a lot of NYers are bitter and are prone to pick on others for their unhappy and undeserving livings... It is apparent that a huge proportion of NYers live under the poverty line per NJ standard of living, no house/car ownership, no/little privacy due to overcrowding, constantly exposed to noise/air pollution/threats from undesirable humans, etc, so they are miserable and cannot help speaking evil of their privileged NJ peers...

There is no other states in the US can proudly nickname themselves as a Garden State, except....NJ...
This is true, NYers think that struggling thru life in NYC is honorable.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:30 PM

72 posts, read 89,767 times
I feel like this is a thing everywhere. Anywhere I’ve lived in this country there’s always a nearby state or city that’s constantly made fun of.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Jersey Shore negated everything for NJ.

Jersey Shore was a joke, no one took it seriously (well not anyone with sense), and the thing has been consigned to the dustbin of television history.

Meanwhile NJ still has the Sopranos which was and still is bigger than Jersey Shore ever was.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 PM

72 posts, read 89,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
May I share my thoughts on this....because a lot of NYers are bitter and are prone to pick on others for their unhappy and undeserving livings... It is apparent that a huge proportion of NYers live under the poverty line per NJ standard of living, no house/car ownership, no/little privacy due to overcrowding, constantly exposed to noise/air pollution/threats from undesirable humans, etc, so they are miserable and cannot help speaking evil of their privileged NJ peers...

There is no other states in the US can proudly nickname themselves as a Garden State, except....NJ...
I mean to be fair, those are weird living standards that most NY’ers wouldn’t really try to strive for. Homeownership? Oh man thats a pipe dream, but its not like NJ is this bastion for affordability. Who the hell wants a car here? It’s basically another rent and a huge depreciating asset. Privacy and overcrowding? Yeah I mean most people don’t live in 1910 tenement conditions, but I think one of the cities selling points is the density. There’s so many things and opportunities all around you at all times stacked many levels deep.

My personal version of hell would be owning a McMansion or splitlevel in NJ on a quarter acre lot with insane property taxes where I have to drive into the city every day and deal with bridge or tunnel traffic.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 PM

77 posts, read 64,750 times
*stands up and applauds*
EXACTLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
I mean to be fair, those are weird living standards that most NY’ers wouldn’t really try to strive for. Homeownership? Oh man thats a pipe dream, but its not like NJ is this bastion for affordability. Who the hell wants a car here? It’s basically another rent and a huge depreciating asset. Privacy and overcrowding? Yeah I mean most people don’t live in 1910 tenement conditions, but I think one of the cities selling points is the density. There’s so many things and opportunities all around you at all times stacked many levels deep.

My personal version of hell would be owning a McMansion or splitlevel in NJ on a quarter acre lot with insane property taxes where I have to drive into the city every day and deal with bridge or tunnel traffic.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:03 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Some NY’ers dislike NJ because NJ (and CT) is a leach/parasite. Northern Jersey serves as nothing more than a bedroom community for NYC, while southern Jersey serves the same function for Philly. If NYC ever started taxing depending on where you work, then NJ’s economy would be eviscerated

Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Some NY’ers dislike NJ because NJ (and CT) is a leach/parasite. Northern Jersey serves as nothing more than a bedroom community for NYC, while southern Jersey serves the same function for Philly. If NYC ever started taxing depending on where you work, then NJ’s economy would be eviscerated

Excuse you?

Since many who live in the suburbs of NJ and Conn are high net worth individuals, upper income college educated and so forth it could be argued they are the creators of wealth/employment.

OTOH you have in NYC large numbers of people whose entire lives are funded by one government (local and or federal) after another.

Yeah, people who earn tend to get the eff out of NYC (and lately much of NYS) because they get tired of getting raped in taxes to pay for the "poor".

At least in NJ or Conn for the high taxes paid you get decent public schools and other services. Not to mention for your property taxes you actually get a place with some land around it so you're not living on top of your neighbors.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Excuse you?

Since many who live in the suburbs of NJ and Conn are high net worth individuals, upper income college educated and so forth it could be argued they are the creators of wealth/employment.

OTOH you have in NYC large numbers of people whose entire lives are funded by one government (local and or federal) after another.

Yeah, people who earn tend to get the eff out of NYC (and lately much of NYS) because they get tired of getting raped in taxes to pay for the "poor".

At least in NJ or Conn for the high taxes paid you get decent public schools and other services. Not to mention for your property taxes you actually get a place with some land around it so you're not living on top of your neighbors.

And a parking spot too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City