Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who is from the LI/NYC area, and I actually hope there aren't alot of you here because I'm trying to get away from you lunatics, ha ha!

Anyway, seriously considering the move to the area and was just curious what anyone from my neck of the woods has to say, good and/or bad about relocating to the Charleston area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,071 times
Nowhere near as densely packed, cleaner, worse drivers, much better public beaches, property tax is a gift. Plain beautiful, especially the view from the Ravenel Bridge. Color around you is like the Springs area of East Hampton- exquisite. Got a more specific question?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,047 times
I would say there's quite a few of us here! Spead out, but here...I've been here like 15yrs and love it. Pace of life is slow, but you get used to it...

Your not escaping the lunatics! There's quite a few here too...I pride myself on being one of them

Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm definitely a lunatic, but I think I'm a good one...ha!
Care to elaborate on "worse drivers"?
I couldn't imagine anywhere having worse drivers than LI.

I'm looking for a slower pace of life. Tired of the hustle and bustle up here.
Actually it's more like grief and aggravation. And misery.
My wife was born and raised on Shelter Island btw...
I am from Nassau County but I've always been a redneck at heart though

Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm definitely a lunatic, but I think I'm a good one...ha!
Care to elaborate on "worse drivers"?
I couldn't imagine anywhere having worse drivers than LI.

I'm looking for a slower pace of life. Tired of the hustle and bustle up here.
Actually it's more like grief and aggravation. And misery.
My wife was born and raised on Shelter Island btw...
I am from Nassau County but I've always been a redneck at heart though

Everyone who leaves wants a more simple life but the reality is everyone starts gravitating towards the same areas. Prices go up, traffic gets bad, ppl become more cold/rude. The only thing that remains nicer is the weather. I have accepted that I can escape LI but that lifestyle will always follow me.

If your a true redneck I am sure you can find a very rural place though in SC.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

Nah, I'm not looking for rural. Just semi-rural. Quasi-rural? ha!
I'm just looking for a slower-paced life, no hustle/bustle.
I don't want the twilight zone, just less A-holes and attitudes.
Financial freedom too.

I don't want to live someplace where everyone is sizing you up.
I can't go anywhere without the real possibility of a verbal or worse yet, physical altercation (especially on the road). If you even glance in the direction of certain individuals you immediately are met with "what are you looking at?", "you got a problem?". Especially the wanna-be "mafia" types and the wanna-be "gangsta types". It really appears that everyone here has a chip on their shoulder for some reason. (On LI, I think behind the wheel of an automobile is where everyone shows their true colors btw). Everyone is in a rush to go nowhere. No matter where they are going, whether it be to work, or just to grab a gallon of milk, their life is much more important than everyone else. At least that's the feeling I get, and I've lived here all of my 37 years. Everyone here just seems so pissed off and angry all the time.

The most important thing is the quality of life for my kids.
I don't want them growing up in this enviroment. Don't get me wrong,
I do want them to have diversity and life experiences, but not at the expense of their own safety and well-being. I fear for my 14 year old out there, I really do. I see how things have changed around here.
I'm a young looking 37, most people think I'm in my mid 20's, and I get harrassed and challenged by "kids" frequently because of this, and I can only imagine how it will be for my son when he is 18 or so. I see it out there, the anger, the aggression. Like all parents I want the best for both my sons, and I just don't think it's a healthy enviroment on LI anymore, in any way, shape or form. Aside from all of the other nonsense life gives you, the economy here is horrible, and the job market is very competitive and totallly over-saturated. People with thousands upon thousands of dollar educations cannot find a suitable job and are struggling just to keep the lights on. So, yeah, I think the handwriting is on the wall.
And by no means do I think South Carolina is the promised land, or any other state for that matter, in reality, there probabally isn't a true promised land, but I think my kids, and myself, may just have an edge that would not be possible if we stayed in NY. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but at this point, I'm willing to take the chance. And my wife is 100% with me on this.

I'm a "retired" (ha ha!, don't laugh too hard, at 37) professional musician. I've toured all over this country and experienced things most people could only dream of, and I've always had a deep fondness for the south,
a sense of "this is where I belong, this is where I'd like to live".
It's strange, but I've always felt that way, since my first car trip to Disney as a kid.
I've always had good times and met a bunch of great people down south, especially SC and GA. Made many friends over the years.
Maybe I am nuts, hell, I don't know. I just know what my gut is telling me, and that is to get out of NY before it's too late.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,936 times
Follow your heart and gut feeling. You sound like a good person and a great dad. Come on down!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,816 times
Quote:
Nah, I'm not looking for rural. Just semi-rural. Quasi-rural? ha!
I'm just looking for a slower-paced life, no hustle/bustle.
I don't want the twilight zone, just less A-holes and attitudes.
Financial freedom too.

I don't want to live someplace where everyone is sizing you up.
I can't go anywhere without the real possibility of a verbal or worse yet, physical altercation (especially on the road). If you even glance in the direction of certain individuals you immediately are met with "what are you looking at?", "you got a problem?". Especially the wanna-be "mafia" types and the wanna-be "gangsta types". It really appears that everyone here has a chip on their shoulder for some reason. (On LI, I think behind the wheel of an automobile is where everyone shows their true colors btw). Everyone is in a rush to go nowhere. No matter where they are going, whether it be to work, or just to grab a gallon of milk, their life is much more important than everyone else. At least that's the feeling I get, and I've lived here all of my 37 years. Everyone here just seems so pissed off and angry all the time.

The most important thing is the quality of life for my kids.
I don't want them growing up in this enviroment. Don't get me wrong,
I do want them to have diversity and life experiences, but not at the expense of their own safety and well-being. I fear for my 14 year old out there, I really do. I see how things have changed around here.
I'm a young looking 37, most people think I'm in my mid 20's, and I get harrassed and challenged by "kids" frequently because of this, and I can only imagine how it will be for my son when he is 18 or so. I see it out there, the anger, the aggression. Like all parents I want the best for both my sons, and I just don't think it's a healthy enviroment on LI anymore, in any way, shape or form. Aside from all of the other nonsense life gives you, the economy here is horrible, and the job market is very competitive and totallly over-saturated. People with thousands upon thousands of dollar educations cannot find a suitable job and are struggling just to keep the lights on. So, yeah, I think the handwriting is on the wall.
And by no means do I think South Carolina is the promised land, or any other state for that matter, in reality, there probabally isn't a true promised land, but I think my kids, and myself, may just have an edge that would not be possible if we stayed in NY. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but at this point, I'm willing to take the chance. And my wife is 100% with me on this.

I'm a "retired" (ha ha!, don't laugh too hard, at 37) professional musician. I've toured all over this country and experienced things most people could only dream of, and I've always had a deep fondness for the south,
It's strange, but I've always felt that way, since my first car trip to Disney as a kid.
I've always had good times and met a bunch of great people down south, especially SC and GA. Made many friends over the years.
Maybe I am nuts, hell, I don't know. I just know what my gut is telling me, and that is to get out of NY before it's too late.
Well you are well travelled so you have seen the sights so you are perfectly equipped to make a good desicion. There are great ppl down south. I know exactly the type of place your looking for but times are changing and this is the world now. My point is if you move to a "hot spot" your kids will be competing with all the other ex-Northerners down south as well as the natives.

I noticed in my travels very rarely do I feel "out of place". Perhaps its all the migrating and maybe its just that ppl are the same all over :-)

The weather will always be nicer though!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,933 times
Quote:
Be careful, some of us may have been one of your groupies. lol

Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM

123 posts, read 571,306 times
I don't care what people say about drivers here. Bklyn is much worse, and SI is catching up fast. Driving in Charleston is much easier. Rush hour (literally an hour) on I-26 between I-526 & Ashley Phosphate Rd is about as bad as it gets around here. People don't honk and act all impatient here either. Also, I can usually get downtown (9 mi) in 15 min. Try doing that in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area