Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:17 PM

12,793 posts, read 8,381,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This could only work if they can have institutions sign up for it, and not just one, but a few, otherwise I don't see how this is going to work out.
That's my point. Having NINE rinks, you had better be able to have them filled, otherwise, you'll be in the red constantly. Ice time is expensive and having empty rinks is equally expensive. It's bad business. It has nothing to do with not wanting ice rinks in the Bronx. It's just analyzing how having nine rinks could be a problem if they're not being used constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I don't know anything about winter sports. Yet, ice skaters, curlers, hockey teams, speed skaters may utilize it and it can be a hub for these type of athletes. Might be awesome.
Might might might... There's a reason why so many businesses go BUST. They don't plan who their clientele is going to be before they open. If you're opening NINE rinks, I don't want to use the word "might". I want to know who will be filling my rinks and when, otherwise where is my money coming from to cover my costs and make a profit? I run a business myself so that's how I'm looking at this as a business.

This ice rink venture reminds me of all of the "crêperie" joints I used to see around the City. Just about every one of them goes bust. Not a shocker. If you aren't buying a crêpe, what else is there to sell?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:27 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,617,330 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about winter sports. Yet, ice sister's, curlers, hockey teams, speed skaters may utilize it and it can be a hub for these type of athletes. Might be awesome.
What the Bronx often fails to have is a positive hopeful might for its residents. I am hopeful that such a innovative endeavor will have a positive cascade effect. God Knows the Bronx need hope. Not just another housing project or shopping.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,126,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Its 2018 and they are still trying to bring giant ice rink to the Bronx

https://archpaper.com/2018/08/worlds...ter-the-bronx/

That article is dated Aug 15, 2018

If approved by New York City officials, the first phase of construction would include the build-out of the 5-acre site into nine rinks, athletic facilities, and a 5,000-seat stadium. Construction for phase one would likely total $170 million in overall costs and Parker hopes to raise money for the remainder of the project in order to complete it by 2022.

end quote

For some reason this idea beat out a mixed sports center like Chelsea Piers. How stupid is that?

I will admit though, there are a handful of schools in the Bronx that have, or had, and like to implement a hockey team for their students. Fordham Prep, All Hallows, Cardinale Hayes, nearby Manhattan College, Fordham U, and Columbia U (nearby Manhattan) are such schools. But they dont need 9 ice rinks. The hockey season for these schools are short. 2 rinks are enough.

I would take half only, and build swimming pool, and one rink. Other half can be affordable housing like another NYCHA project. There is a backflow for that. The Bronx can really use a swimming pool. The World Ice Arena, and FMCP Aquatic Center should be the model. Or Chelsea Piers can be the model.
I don't think having nearly a dozen hockey rinks will do the community justice. Maybe having two hockey rinks will do just fine. The building should be used for mixed athletic purpose. Have an half sized Olympic swimming pool, batting cages, the main floor should have turf field for soccer, while the upper floor can be used to suspend and hold a couple of ice rinks, as well as having a climbing structure. Such athletic structures can provide alethic diversity to people who live in the community, as well as those who attend nearby academic institutions and those who are not from the community. Batting cages will be good for the Dominicans that live in he neighborhood, basketball will be good for the black folks that live in the area, turf soccer field will do wonders with Mexicans, Africans and South Americans who live in the area. Not everyone is going to want to play hockey especially since hockey is an expensive sport due to all the equipment that is needed. As well as add tennis courts as well. as well as adding a gym such as crunch or plane fitness in he section of the building. All of such can fit in one building.

Having only hockey will be a waste for the community dollars, as well as the communities health and wellness. The sports facility should be diversified.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-10-2018 at 03:48 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What the Bronx often fails to have is a positive hopeful might for its residents. I am hopeful that such a innovative endeavor will have a positive cascade effect. God Knows the Bronx need hope. Not just another housing project or shopping.
Don't worry... The developers will bring all of the hope that you need!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM

15,657 posts, read 15,793,436 times
Is there some outcry I'm not aware of, for a rink that would cost $170 million? Surely something better could be done with that money.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Don't worry... The developers will bring all of the hope that you need!
I admit having no knowledge about winter sport activities. Tbis project is bigger then just for local use. Its ambititious and innovative and has bigger plans then just for area schools. I love the idea as it shoots for something outside the Box. 9 rinks given the ambition is not really that large.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Is there some outcry I'm not aware of, for a rink that would cost $170 million? Surely something better could be done with that money.
Today, would the Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens be built ?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I admit having no knowledge about winter sport activities. Tbis project is bigger then just for local use. Its ambititious and innovative and has bigger plans then just for area schools. I love the idea as it shoots for something outside the Box. 9 rinks given the ambition is not really that large.
To put things into perspective, there aren't even nine rinks at Chelsea Piers, and for good reason...

Old 10-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
To put things into perspective, there aren't even nine rinks at Chelsea Piers, and for good reason...
No, Chelsea Piers is a facility aimed at locals. This project is aimed at locals and athletes in various disciplines to train year round. Not the same thing. 9 rinks given speed skaters in various distances, curlers, hockey teams, figure skaters, ice dancers could easily occupy nine rinks. 9 basketball courts would not be excessive for a center devoted to basketball development. Tennis camps and country clubs bave more then 9 tennis courts. Likewise 9 baseball diamonds or 9 soccer pitches are not excessive if dedicated to those sports development. Its just that all those sports have many arenas available to practioners of tbose sports. Lets see how this plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City