Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Also, de Bozo already burned the Amazon bridge when he slammed them in the press after they pulled out.

Exactly. It also shows what a spineless coward that he is, which is why neither the moderates nor the progressives respect him. He was happy with the deal until it went away and then suddenly he became a "progressive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The people AMZN wants would might go to JC. The NYC financial companies have a lot of IT operations in JC already. But I don't think they'll go to Newark..

I agree with you which is why I threw in JC even though NJ is talking about Newark.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I think Diblasio was fair in his response. He stated that Amazon's actions were what they were.

The deal that De Blasio negotiated with Amazon was fine for him until the "progressives" began to scream. Then De Blasio went silent not wanting to talk about it, and when Amazon kissed him bye suddenly Amazon is bad.

if De Blasio really wanted Amazon he should have sat down with the critics, negotiated a community benefits plan and marketed it to them. Then marketed the notion that Amazon would get substantial benefits in exchange for alleviating a huge social problem that NYC has, and that is most NYC residents don't have the skills (hard and soft) for the emerging sectors.

If Amazon at that point refused then his reaction would have been correct.

For Bezos to waste time with this deal when Gianaris was master minding a PR coup by crushing a deal involving one of the world's most valuable companies, and then screaming when the deal crashed is silly and cowardly. De Blasio should have had access to Gianaris and should have been able to assure Amazon that if a proper community benefits plan was in place Gianaris wouldn't have tanked it.

So now Gianaris wouldn't be able to tank it. Cuomo and big city interests will be panting behind Bezos, who will now know that he has no reason to negotiate with NYC. He can dictate terms to the City. De Blasio having removed himself by his silliness.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not "asking" more like "begging."

Anyone with common sense or any idea of how tax accounting works will realize that Amazon will never pay a PENNY of tax into either NY, NYC, or Federal coffers...PERIOD.

Just like the Trump Organization, or General Electric.

And yet if some high paying jobs were created and ladders of opportunity for some made available with training, internships, funding educational institutions then the city would still benefit.

But Amazon will hire who they wish, most likely transplants as NYers don't necessarily have the hard and soft skills, and there is nothing that can be done about that.

You know this "Tale of Two Cities" that NYC is cannot continue indefinitely. At some point attracting transplants will be expensive and so if NYers do not have the skills then it becomes an expensive place to do business.

NYC increasingly looks like Jo'burg of the old days. Brown folks boarding trains to do menial jobs in the City while the better jobs are done by others. That has to stop. And it isn't about doing anyone a favor.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:35 PM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I agree with the first paragraph. But I figure the whole deal will be refloated. Van Bremer and Gianaris will be shut up. I bet that Amazon squeezes out even more concessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm pretty sure they won't. Bezos calling the bluff of Amazon critics as someone silenced them and now Amazon is in new talks with the state. Plus the NY Times just posted a letter written by a number of politicians and CEOs asking Amazon to reconsider.

I can see them working out a deal and Amazon simply building existing buildings and buying out the leases in them.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with the first paragraph. But I figure the whole deal will be refloated. Van Bremer and Gianaris will be shut up. I bet that Amazon squeezes out even more concessions.
I wonder why they would when they now smell desperation.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Who smells who's desperation? Cuomo is going hat in hand to Bezos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I wonder why they would when they now smell desperation.

Last edited by BBMW; 03-01-2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 01:40 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
The deal that De Blasio negotiated with Amazon was fine for him until the "progressives" began to scream. Then De Blasio went silent not wanting to talk about it, and when Amazon kissed him bye suddenly Amazon is bad.

if De Blasio really wanted Amazon he should have sat down with the critics, negotiated a community benefits plan and marketed it to them. Then marketed the notion that Amazon would get substantial benefits in exchange for alleviating a huge social problem that NYC has, and that is most NYC residents don't have the skills (hard and soft) for the emerging sectors.

If Amazon at that point refused then his reaction would have been correct.

For Bezos to waste time with this deal when Gianaris was master minding a PR coup by crushing a deal involving one of the world's most valuable companies, and then screaming when the deal crashed is silly and cowardly. De Blasio should have had access to Gianaris and should have been able to assure Amazon that if a proper community benefits plan was in place Gianaris wouldn't have tanked it.

So now Gianaris wouldn't be able to tank it. Cuomo and big city interests will be panting behind Bezos, who will now know that he has no reason to negotiate with NYC. He can dictate terms to the City. De Blasio having removed himself by his silliness.

Way to much work for Mayor Dum Dum. He sleeps in, goes to the gym, takes naps and campaigns in Iowa. How do you expect him to get any city work done?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Who smells who's desperation. Cuomo is going hat in hand to Bezos.

Bezos smells desperation. He no longer has to offer more than he did so he wins.

The progressives shut down and no real benefits in exchange for tax concessions in exchange of what Amazon would have done anyway.

This then becomes another fiasco like Hudson Yards where billions of taxpayer funds were spent but few NYers will benefit.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Bezos smells desperation. He no longer has to offer more than he did so he wins.

The progressives shut down and no real benefits in exchange for tax concessions in exchange of what Amazon would have done anyway.

This then becomes another fiasco like Hudson Yards where billions of taxpayer funds were spent but few NYers will benefit.
Have to disagree with you there. Hudson Yards will generate billions in economic activity for NY. Every person living in the city and state benefits even if they never step foot there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City