Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times

Advertisements

Article is stupid: How can you report that 2 out of 5 cannot meet basic necessities without defining what basic necessities ARE?

I think anyone who thinks "THe poor have it made" should also MAKE IT by giving away his savings and quitting his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:25 PM

357 posts, read 727,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Uh no, that's simply not true unless your idea of a very large portion of the city differs greatly from mine and probably most other people. The majority of people living in NYC, including those outside Manhattan (and Manhattan is still part of the city last I checked) are within walking distance (15 minutes or less) of a subway station. Then there are people living within walking distance of semi-frequent LIRR or Metro-North stations ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/n...uck-it-up.html

25% of the city does not live within walking distance of a train station, that equals over 2 million people.
Almost half of Queens does not live near a subway.
LIRR and Metro North are different systems with different fare rules, irrelevant to the discussion, especially since most of them are already near subway lines.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:02 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/n...uck-it-up.html

25% of the city does not live within walking distance of a train station, that equals over 2 million people.
Almost half of Queens does not live near a subway.
LIRR and Metro North are different systems with different fare rules, irrelevant to the discussion, especially since most of them are already near subway lines.
Okay. If I write the majority of people in NYC live within walking distance of a train station and then you cite an article that states 25% of the ciry does not live within walking distance of a train station, then I have to wonder what your definition of majority means. To me, it means over 50% with the general implication being that it’s at least several percentage points higher than that otherwise it makes sense to qualify that statement. If 25% of the city is not within walking distance of a station, then that likely works out to 75% of the city does which I think most people would take as clearly a majority.

And yes, Metro-North and LIRR are different system though they should be moving towards operating more like express rapid transit lines in the urban core. At least CityTicket and the recent Atlantic Ticket programs are making them somewhat more reasonable for city usage. There’s also several express bus lines.

Anyhow, the overarching point is that it is generally far easier to live without a car and to eschew all the costs associated with such in NYC for generally lower transit fees than anywhere else in the US, and in comparison to the vast majorty of the US, by a massive margin and this holds for even portions of the city that are not within walking distance of a subway station.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 PM

357 posts, read 727,811 times
Quote:
Okay. If I write the majority of people in NYC live within walking distance of a train station and then you cite an article that states 25% of the ciry does not live within walking distance of a train station, then I have to wonder what your definition of majority means. To me, it means over 50% with the general implication being that it’s at least several percentage points higher than that otherwise it makes sense to qualify that statement. If 25% of the city is not within walking distance of a station, then that likely works out to 75% of the city does which I think most people would take as clearly a majority.

And yes, Metro-North and LIRR are different system though they should be moving towards operating more like express rapid transit lines in the urban core. At least CityTicket and the recent Atlantic Ticket programs are making them somewhat more reasonable for city usage. There’s also several express bus lines.

Anyhow, the overarching point is that it is generally far easier to live without a car and to eschew all the costs associated with such in NYC for generally lower transit fees than anywhere else in the US, and in comparison to the vast majorty of the US, by a massive margin and this holds for even portions of the city that are not within walking distance of a subway station.
My point is it is not an insignificant minority of a couple hundred or a couple thousand. It is over 2 million, which would be a top 5 populated city in the United States. So when you're denying that a huge portion of the city has poor subway access, you are simply wrong. And you clearly have no idea what it is like to live in those parts of the city.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
My point is it is not an insignificant minority of a couple hundred or a couple thousand. It is over 2 million, which would be a top 5 populated city in the United States. So when you're denying that a huge portion of the city has poor subway access, you are simply wrong. And you clearly have no idea what it is like to live in those parts of the city.
I explicitly said a majority and I did not say everyone. Your version of what a huge portion means to you maybe differs from mine so I stated a majority explicitly.

And why do you say I have no idea? I’ve lived in LIRR only territory as well as in Westchester all without a car.

You should also understand that even parts outside walking distance of a subway, NYC is still vastly easier to get by without a car than in the vast majority of the US. It’s why I mentioned if this study was using the same kind of rubric across other cities as there are things that as a general rule that differ between NYC and other cities.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-17-2018 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 08:28 AM

For those not near a subway, are they equally miles away from the nearest BUS? Bus and Subway cost the same as Subway.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
The point is that it shouldn't have to be this way you know? There is enough money, we are producing enough as a whole for people to be able to work and live in the city they work, save a little send the kids to school and take a vacation once a yr. That's not reality tho, the struggle and insecurity are unnecessary.

Spoken like Karl Marx...and from me that is the highest compliment I can give.

Quote:
but even retirees on just ss make it work .

Yes we do.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:28 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times
Now it’s probably 4/5
Time to demand more government $

Old 03-08-2021, 04:56 AM

926 posts, read 417,768 times
Quote:
Yea, that's not a great play on their part but even the latest iPhone and $200 sneakers are a pittance compared to the cost of home ownership, healthcare, childcare or a college education these days. Those are basically minor frivolities (except a good phone is actually a good career investment in a lot of careers) unless they're buying several multiples of the latest iPhone and $200 sneakers at a quarterly rate. If that's what people are doing, then yea, they need to get their heads checked.
Yes... and no. Wearing $200 sneakers while being poor indicates a certain type of mentality. It shows that the person has his or her priorities wrong, and will more than likely never rise above poverty.

Also, money adds up. $200 sneakers + the latest iPhone + fancy rims + other frivolous purchases = a lot more money than meets the eye.

Regarding a good phone being a good career investment - many times, companies/firms will provide their associates with a iPhone.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Yes... and no. Wearing $200 sneakers while being poor indicates a certain type of mentality. It shows that the person has his or her priorities wrong, and will more than likely never rise above poverty.

Also, money adds up. $200 sneakers + the latest iPhone + fancy rims + other frivolous purchases = a lot more money than meets the eye.

Regarding a good phone being a good career investment - many times, companies/firms will provide their associates with a iPhone.
$200 on sneakers or $200 for your child's tutoring. How much money is spent on weed?

What do people think the poor chinese do? Go to flushing. There are more tutoring centers and weekend schools then any other neighborhood in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: