Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:57 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
"2 out of 5 NYers cannot afford the basics"

aka

"2 out of 5 NYers should move to somewhere else"
But then the projects will be empty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 03:56 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many of the poorest have no trouble affording , drugs , guns , phones , sneakers , liquor and lottery tickets....

With a multi trillion dollar under ground economy all these stats about many who supposedly have nothing are a crock as they are part of that usage economy
You are thinking of broke people in the 70s high on heroin.

You don't understand how easy it is to slide from Middle class to living in your car under the bridge these days.

You need to watch what's happening in California.

You don't see it here because it gets too cold. You don't see the former software engineers in San Diego and South Florida living in their car next to a shack.

Even if you save a million dollars you're still 10 years away from homelessness IF YOU CANNOT GET A JOB AFTER THAT.

No amount of money below 3-5 million ( per person) will save you from automation.

Unless you live in the Bayou with no health insurance

There are 11 million adults in the U.S. with at least 1 million dollars. That's 3.35% of the population.

Remove the people with only one million. So that means less than 3% of people can sustain themselves indefinitely without working.

People need to work to make money.

Work requires jobs.

Jobs have fallen below replacement level since 2008.

Do the math.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:14 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
And don't forget even retail workers ga the latest iPhone and $200 sneakers
Not this one...

Old 03-08-2021, 04:15 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
I had one main requirement in my 35 years of working, that my job had a vested pension. I know it's a lot rarer to find these days, but it still is possible. I knew from day one that if I made it to retirement I would want and need a pension. I also worked for major corporations, where if you proved yourself valuable, the odds of being laid off or fired were very small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

You don't understand how easy it is to slide from Middle class to living in your car under the bridge these days.

You don't see it here because it gets too cold. You don't see the former software engineers in San Diego and South Florida living in their car next to a shack.

Even if you save a million dollars you're still 10 years away from homelessness IF YOU CANNOT GET A JOB AFTER THAT.

No amount of money below 3-5 million ( per person) will save you from automation.

There are 11 million adults in the U.S. with at least 1 million dollars. That's 3.35% of the population.

Remove the people with only one million. So that means less than 3% of people can sustain themselves indefinitely without working.

Work requires jobs.

Do the math.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:32 PM

106,709 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:

Work requires jobs.

Do the math.
Solving the worlds problems are above my pay grade ...I deal with what I can control or what I can change ..

I can’t change peoples lives from what they chose or end up being ....

Old 03-08-2021, 04:32 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I had one main requirement in my 35 years of working, that my job had a vested pension. I know it's a lot rarer to find these days, but it still is possible. I knew from day one that if I made it to retirement I would want and need a pension. I also worked for major corporations, where if you proved yourself valuable, the odds of being laid off or fired were very small.
My parents have pensions from the city.

It's still possible but the plans are gutted compared to before.

My sister will have to work until she's 55. She's 25 now. You could get away with 20 years at 80% before.

Now it's 30 years at 70%.

It gets worse with each generation.

If I had to do it again I would still go the college debt and private industry route. They treat public employees like sh** and you have one false move and your pension is gone, 27 years down the drain. Now you're old with no private sector skills and nobody will hire you?

No thanks!

Old 03-08-2021, 06:28 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,404,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...500629431.html

And another interesting statistic, excluding Manhattan 80% of NYers make less than $100,000 a year.

And when talking about income income per individual not household is what counts
2 out of 5? That sounds like most of America. Thread is a flop.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
I retired from a public utility company after 28 years with 48% of my last year's salary at 58-1/2 years old. After a year I got another job until I was 62 while still collecting my pension. Those two extra years of work let me pay off my mortgage and set me up financially. And I started collecting SS at 62. My company offered a retiree health plan, plus after I turned 65, a medicare supplemental plan, both of which I contributed to and still do, so our health cost concerns are taken care of for a predictable monthly premium that comes right out of my pension. Due to the COLA on my pension and social security, I've been retired for 12 years and with my pension, our SS and the RMD on my IRA, my gross income now exceeds my last year's salary the year I retired from my company. The pension was the key, even though when I first retired we lived with a 40% reduction in income until I got two extra years of work and SS kicked in. My son was a fireman and got paneled out with a medical disability. His pension is a lot higher than mine and it's tax free. Plus he is free to run his own home improvement business.
Quote:
My parents have pensions from the city.

It's still possible but the plans are gutted compared to before.

My sister will have to work until she's 55. She's 25 now. You could get away with 20 years at 80% before.

Now it's 30 years at 70%.

It gets worse with each generation.

If I had to do it again I would still go the college debt and private industry route. They treat public employees like sh** and you have one false move and your pension is gone, 27 years down the drain. Now you're old with no private sector skills and nobody will hire you?

No thanks!

Old 03-08-2021, 08:56 PM

325 posts, read 199,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think a key issue is that it's possible to live in NYC if you are poor (not easy,but possible.) '
It's fun if you are rich.
It's harder if you are working class or middle class.
This

Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 PM

325 posts, read 199,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If poor people weren't around propped up by the lefist government. They would get paid even higher salaries or hourly rates. Because the employers know that many poor people aren't paying much for rent they can pay people less. Because some people wouldn't mind taking a lower rate because they are living in NYC for free.

So think about that, your salary is local economy adjusted.
Eh idk about this one , doesent sound reasonable . While practically some poor people Live in nyc for free it doesent matter because pay rates at jobs are already set and applicants come from people who live in all places not just low income housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: