Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

Targeting small businesses because of their signs seems absurd to me. The city has nothing better to do?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/n...gtype=Homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times
Im sorta confused about why else they are getting ticketed other than improperly mounted signs that could fall and cause damage.

There could be some shadiness going on in the background like a sign shop is strong arming their ways amoungst policy makers or something like that.

Why all the sudden do they fine business owners?

Think of all the AC units that are improperly mounted during the summer time. I think those are of greater concern.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Love all the commenters suggesting they just get a permit. What's it cost to get a permit for anything in NYC, once the "expediters" and permit fees and "informal accelerated processing fees" are paid?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Im sorta confused about why else they are getting ticketed other than improperly mounted signs that could fall and cause damage.

There could be some shadiness going on in the background like a sign shop is strong arming their ways amoungst policy makers or something like that.

Why all the sudden do they fine business owners?

Think of all the AC units that are improperly mounted during the summer time. I think those are of greater concern.
Exactly. I think that's the point of the article.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Times change and so do rules.
As an example: Many years ago one would only have to check off for obtaining a commercial license.
No written test, no road test. Today it's a different world. Written Test,Road Test, Yearly Medical Examination,etc...
Rules for signage have changed as well. My only complaint is that access to simple and inexpensive signage be
available for installation, especially for those with financial worries. Warnings at first followed by easy and inexpensive
access to remedy. If after all is said and done, a fine imposed if deemed warranted.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Times change and so do rules.
As an example: Many years ago one would only have to check off for obtaining a commercial license.
No written test, no road test. Today it's a different world. Written Test,Road Test, Yearly Medical Examination,etc...
Rules for signage have changed as well. My only complaint is that access to simple and inexpensive signage be
available for installation, especially for those with financial worries.
Warnings at first followed by easy and inexpensive
access to remedy. If after all is said and done, a fine imposed if deemed warranted.
How many years ago are we talking about?? I got a commercial license in 1982 and had to do written and medical, although no road test since I had a clean DL at the time.

Exactly. That's why it looks like small businesses are being targeted.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times
How do they define storefront signage? Are their signs light-up signs? With glass or breakable plastic? Neon?

How they start using those inexpensive banners you can get printed up at office supply stores? Why not just use different materials? Or are they fining them for advertising? If so, that would be nuts.

Also I'd like to see some straight data on whether or not they are targeting specific ethnic communities or whatever. It sounds like they could be.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
How do they define storefront signage? Are their signs light-up signs? With glass or breakable plastic? Neon?

How they start using those inexpensive banners you can get printed up at office supply stores? Why not just use different materials? Or are they fining them for advertising? If so, that would be nuts.

Also I'd like to see some straight data on whether or not they are targeting specific ethnic communities or whatever. It sounds like they could be.

It is similar to old laws on the books but not enforced until someone back at the office said " hey , let's generate a few quick bucks for the city! "

Such Laws:
Jay Walking.
Smoking cigarettes in parks.
Being present or hanging out at playgrounds without children. Yup ..........So true.
Using an emergency exit door on a subway platform.
Walking between train cars.
Taking up more than one seat on the subway.

Only in New York folks. Only in New York.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:08 PM

109 posts, read 95,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It is similar to old laws on the books but not enforced until someone back at the office said " hey , let's generate a few quick bucks for the city! "

Such Laws:
Jay Walking.
Smoking cigarettes in parks.
Being present or hanging out at playgrounds without children. Yup ..........So true.
Using an emergency exit door on a subway platform.
Walking between train cars.
Taking up more than one seat on the subway.

Only in New York folks. Only in New York.

Taking up more than one seat on the subway at rush hour, you should be fined severely for. I'm all for that!

Also hanging out around playgrounds might at least a warrant a question from a cop. Normal people will walk away and not frequent the playground. This rule helps catch the real predators that can't help themselves.

This stuff is not "only in NYC" this is "only every civilized place in the world".

Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Easy! They are looking everywhere to get their hand on the money of others using the excuse that is unlawful to do this and that.

If something was on place like forever, at least give small business owner a chance to fix it without any penalty. If the agency knows that it was a problem and they didn’t come out and issue a ticket within a reasonable amount of time, then is the agency’s problem. Just because they are city government agency doesn’t give them the right to slack off and decide to issue penalty and fines after a years have passed.

But hey, we are just the little guy, what can you do about it right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City