Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 09:44 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting the city for a week (the prospect heights area in Brooklyn namely) and have seen a ton of boots on cars. Way more than I recall growing up. In fact, I counted about a handful when driving to a meeting this morning. For context, I probably hadn't seen half that number during the decades that I called Brooklyn home.

Is anyone else noticing this?

I'm thinking it can be due to the increased affluence of a certain area? Perhaps lower income areas aren't being targeted as much due to inability to pay to remove a boot?? Idk. Just brainstorming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
What's a car boot? Are you referring to hubs? My goodness, three quarters of the people here take the subway and so don't know what you're talking about

Old 12-13-2018, 09:54 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What's a car boot? Are you referring to hubs? My goodness, three quarters of the people here take the subway and so don't know what you're talking about
Yes, the hubs! I've always known them as boots, though. But the yellow device that is attached to a vehicle's wheel for those who may not be familiar but who may have otherwise seen them.

Have you seen an increase, stormgal?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, the hubs! I've always known them as boots, though. But the yellow device that is attached to a vehicle's wheel for those who may not be familiar but who may have otherwise seen them.

Have you seen an increase, stormgal?

Have noticed them in many neighborhoods.
It's all about not paying your tickets.
If you don't pay the loot you will get the boot!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm visiting the city for a week (the prospect heights area in Brooklyn namely) and have seen a ton of boots on cars. Way more than I recall growing up. In fact, I counted about a handful when driving to a meeting this morning. For context, I probably hadn't seen half that number during the decades that I called Brooklyn home.

Is anyone else noticing this?

I'm thinking it can be due to the increased affluence of a certain area? Perhaps lower income areas aren't being targeted as much due to inability to pay to remove a boot?? Idk. Just brainstorming here.

Nah, they started booting instead of towing a few years ago, which is why you see them everywhere nowadays:

https://nypost.com/2013/07/23/the-city-scrubs-its-tow/

Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 AM

270 posts, read 145,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Have noticed them in many neighborhoods.
It's all about not paying your tickets.
If you don't pay the loot you will get the boot!
Or overzealous towing operators looking to score some more money. It happened to me when I parked at AutoZone. I came out 20 minutes later with a purchase and found some guy trying to boot my car. I had to show him my receipt to prove I was in there for only 20 minutes. The guy relented and I was on my way. Even though it worked in my favor, I still felt violated because of an attempted illegal seizure

Old 12-14-2018, 06:57 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
these are boots placed by the city for overdue tickets. hopefully the surcharge is less than an actual tow. at least the vehicle owner does not have to schlep to the boonies to retrieve their cars.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
Or overzealous towing operators looking to score some more money. It happened to me when I parked at AutoZone. I came out 20 minutes later with a purchase and found some guy trying to boot my car. I had to show him my receipt to prove I was in there for only 20 minutes. The guy relented and I was on my way. Even though it worked in my favor, I still felt violated because of an attempted illegal seizure
I don't get why you had to show your receipt to prove how long you were in there? Can you fill in the details?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City