Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

I get a daily/weekly police report for Parkchester, the Bronx. While other crimes are rare (about a dozen assaults per year including mugging, about 5 murders per year (essentially all gang-related), no rapes or burglaries reported in most years), there is a theft reported almost every day at almost every store in the area.

There is a whole lifestyle out there that consists of free subsidized housing, free subsidized healthcare, jumping the subway turnstile for free transportation, food stamps for free food, and taking whatever items you need from the shelves at the stores for free. These freedoms are legally protected by majority vote in NYC, showing that there is something funny with the definition of "majority" - namely, only the people who pay taxes that finance all the freedom should be allowed to vote how the tax money should be spent, and how property laws should be enforced. No voting representation without taxation. Something for the Supreme Court to ponder on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have mentioned this several times over the years; have seen Rite Aid, DR, Walgreens, etc... get jacked numerous times. Staff and manager reaction often ranges from couldn't be less bothered to "so?"

LE and stores go to all sorts of efforts and defendants are allowed to plead down and basically walk.
Yes, I remembered your posts on this subject after witnessing this last night.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 AM

Also, where does someone with a packpack full of stolen deodorants go to unload the stolen goods and get the $$? I suppose there's a market for this. Are these the things that then get sold on ebay for cheap (referencing the other thread on National Wholesale Liquidators)?

Or where else would stolen deodorants be sold?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Also, where does someone with a packpack full of stolen deodorants go to unload the stolen goods and get the $$? I suppose there's a market for this. Are these the things that then get sold on ebay for cheap (referencing the other thread on National Wholesale Liquidators)?

The stuff is probably sold to small bodegas and convenience stores in poorer neighborhoods which then sell them to customers.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Deputy Chief Joseph V. Dowling, with the Police Department’s grand larceny division, said detectives were investigating businesses that may be acting as fences for the ice cream, paying about 25 cents on the dollar.

“They go and resell it to local mom-and-pop stores, bodegas, delis, things like that,†he said. “They transport it in freezer bags with dry ice or those frozen packs. You’re traveling to sell it.â€

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/n...manhattan.html

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Maybe NYC doesn't treat shoplifting as a serious crime, I don't know if they do or do not but don't try it in Nassau County. The NCPD will chase cars with suspected shoplifters and there was a an incident a few years ago where a perp being chased for shoplifting drove into oncoming traffic to get away and killed his passenger.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

There is a huge market for this. They sell them to bodegas and to small 99 cent stores and such, or just hawk them one at a time in the streets.

Back when I lived in Bensonhurst, there was this heroin addict who'd walk around selling stolen Gillette razor cartridges (this was before they were locked up pretty much everywhere) and deodorants basically right in front of the Rite Aid he'd steal from.

This kind of theft is probably a weekly occurrence for pharmacy chains. Couple weeks ago I saw a guy run out of a Rite Aid on 3rd Ave in Bay Ridge, with maybe like 20 head and shoulders shampoos in his grasp. He dropped like 5 as he ran out, and the employees didn't run after him, they just calmly walked outside and picked up the dropped bottles.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
These freedoms are legally protected by majority vote in NYC, showing that there is something funny with the definition of "majority" - namely, only the people who pay taxes that finance all the freedom should be allowed to vote how the tax money should be spent, and how property laws should be enforced. No voting representation without taxation. Something for the Supreme Court to ponder on.
Society is the way it is now because we DON'T have a policy like this. "Takers" should absolutely lose the right to vote. It's pure common sense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
I don't believe what you did OP was so commendable and I'll explain why. What if the person you are reporting overhears you snitching on them and they decide to wait for outside? You being a hero could have been detrimental to your health. I certainly do not condone shoplifting but unless its being done to an individual or a small business I'd mind my own business. I certainly would not take a bullet or a beating for the best interests of some big corporate chain store.

Take a look around the city, what stores do you see on just about every other block? Duane Reade, CVS, Rite Aide, Wallgreens etc. They have priced out the neighborhoods for all the mom and pop stores that were once at their location. Do you think they care about them or you? They certainly care about your money and that's about it.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't believe what you did OP was so commendable and I'll explain why. What if the person you are reporting overhears you snitching on them and they decide to wait for outside? You being a hero could have been detrimental to your health. I certainly do not condone shoplifting but unless its being done to an individual or a small business I'd mind my own business. I certainly would not take a bullet or a beating for the best interests of some big corporate chain store.

Take a look around the city, what stores do you see on just about every other block? Duane Reade, CVS, Rite Aide, Wallgreens etc. They have priced out the neighborhoods for all the mom and pop stores that were once at their location. Do you think they care about them or you? They certainly care about your money and that's about it.
Well, I understand your point and I took steps to be careful. I am 100% sure the shoplifter did not hear me saying anything to the cashier, as I said it very quietly and then walked away in another direction. I walked to another part of the store to do my shopping and avoided really even trying to watch what happened. Then I was in the store for a really long time because I was waiting for a prescription. So the shoplifter would have had to have been really an idiot to wait 30 minutes outside a store she had just shoplifted in, just in order to confront me.

But again, I think you have a good point.

So, for anyone else reading this, if you saw blatant shoplifting right in front of you, you wouldn't report it, even if you thought you could do it safely and quietly to a store employee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City