Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM

16,165 posts, read 6,909,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
I did okay and could say it was due mostly to my drive, but in reality timing was everything. Older millennial who got jobs and kept them through 2008 did pretty well. But many either lost jobs or came out of school around the recession and either couldn't find one or took one out of field.

That delayed their progress into the career they wanted, and getting back in is also tough because as jobs came back, companies could just give those positions to fresh grads. So there is a band of Millenials that got the short end of the straw.

I came out of college in 2005 and managed to keep my position through the hump. That afforded me the opportunity to keep career development going, and also take advantage of deeply discounted properties. I grew up here and have come and gone for 3-4 years to two different cities. I wound up buying in a two fare zone, but both my Wife's job and mine can be driven to.

NYC has gotten expensive. The influx of foreign money has created this elevated value that I don't know will be recoverable from. I love and hate NYC. It will always be a home to me, but I have lived elsewhere and seen that my lifestyle can be planted in many places. I plan to stay around for 4-5 more years and then think about moving out.

A plant usually grows best when left in place rather than uprooted .
Happy to hear that your applied drive led the path to your success.
God Bless.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
You have to be in it to win it. Take the test if test are required. See what areas of study are heavily recruited and study that. Study for the test. Do well. Speak to a recruiter if possible. Practice for your interview. Ace training. Think failure is not an option.

I know enough to know that it is not as hard as people make it seem. U have to be willing to put in a little leg work. A $100k+ job with pension is not going to fall in your lap.

Trust me. I work with enough co-workers who i constantly wonder how the hell they got the job lol. It is definitely not that hard. My husband works for the state and he can barely find a plate in the kitchen we have lived in for 4 years lol.

Agree. Success comes if you put in a little leg work.
Thank you.
My husband works for the state and he can barely find a plate in the kitchen
L.O.L.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,527,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
How have you acclimated to life in New York?
Do you find it expensive living here or are you getting by?
Are you satisfied with your line of work and rate of pay?
Do you pay rent or own your own home?
Do you plan on staying or leaving ?

There's a ton of questions I have left out but would prefer to hear from you.
I am trying to understand if millenials ( homebred or transplants ) are experiencing a good or bad time as a New Yorker.
Curious minds would like to know.
To answer your first question: I have lived 98% of my life in NYC. It is expensive, but if you want to live in a good area where you are safe, you have to pay more, and that is okay. We are very fortunate to own our home, so we only pay property taxes, and insurance. We have traveled extensibely prior to choose a place to retire.........we were not able to find a place, where we felt comfortable enough with the population. Most New Yorkers have a Love/Hate relationship with the State, and we were part of that. But travelling and evaluating different states, made us realize that we belong in NYC........and here we are until the end.......People in NYC are smart, hard-- to be- fooled, are able to see the forest from the trees, thus traveling exposes one to such people that will try everything to convince us that they are right, and we are wrong. But, people with good- common sense, can see through that.......

Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
To answer your first question: I have lived 98% of my life in NYC. It is expensive, but if you want to live in a good area where you are safe, you have to pay more, and that is okay. We are very fortunate to own our home, so we only pay property taxes, and insurance. We have traveled extensibely prior to choose a place to retire.........we were not able to find a place, where we felt comfortable enough with the population. Most New Yorkers have a Love/Hate relationship with the State, and we were part of that. But travelling and evaluating different states, made us realize that we belong in NYC........and here we are until the end.......People in NYC are smart, hard-- to be- fooled, are able to see the forest from the trees, thus traveling exposes one to such people that will try everything to convince us that they are right, and we are wrong. But, people with good- common sense, can see through that.......

Thankyou for your honest input.
I have traveled looking for that place to sped my retirement years.
Stiil searching but have not found it yet. The amenities are great ,the people are awesome,
although too expensive and too overpopulated. For now, I'll enjoy the ride.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM

8,407 posts, read 4,429,716 times
As I mentioned a number of times, there is a totally decent area in the Bronx where I own a condo, and where everyone else can also own a fairly large (by NYC standards) one-bedroom condo, in a stable well maintained condo association, with a $35k down payment. Pretty much anyone with any kind of steady employment can afford that. If you don't want to live around lower-income minority people and immigrants in the Bronx, that's your problem, folks, but then you can't say there is no affordable property in NYC for millennials.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,618,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
As I mentioned a number of times, there is a totally decent area in the Bronx where I own a condo, and where everyone else can also own a fairly large (by NYC standards) one-bedroom condo, in a stable well maintained condo association, with a $35k down payment. Pretty much anyone with any kind of steady employment can afford that. If you don't want to live around lower-income minority people and immigrants in the Bronx, that's your problem, folks, but then you can't say there is no affordable property in NYC for millennials.
It doesn't sound like you do either!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,903,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
How long you gotta wait for that to become profitable though?

Old 01-20-2019, 01:15 AM

6 posts, read 8,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
I did okay and could say it was due mostly to my drive, but in reality timing was everything. Older millennial who got jobs and kept them through 2008 did pretty well. But many either lost jobs or came out of school around the recession and either couldn't find one or took one out of field.

That delayed their progress into the career they wanted, and getting back in is also tough because as jobs came back, companies could just give those positions to fresh grads. So there is a band of Millenials that got the short end of the straw.

I came out of college in 2005 and managed to keep my position through the hump. That afforded me the opportunity to keep career development going, and also take advantage of deeply discounted properties. I grew up here and have come and gone for 3-4 years to two different cities. I wound up buying in a two fare zone, but both my Wife's job and mine can be driven to.

NYC has gotten expensive. The influx of foreign money has created this elevated value that I don't know will be recoverable from. I love and hate NYC. It will always be a home to me, but I have lived elsewhere and seen that my lifestyle can be planted in many places. I plan to stay around for 4-5 more years and then think about moving out.
Same boat as you. Came out of college in 2004 and worked through the 2008 crash, kept role and leveraged it for a promotion and upgraded role at another firm. I also think it was important to have the right major and career coming out of college. Timing worked out well for us too as we purchased a home in 2009 in central Nassau for $3xxK. we put 5% down, paid the PMI til we didn’t have to , sold recently for a comfortable gain, and moved to another neighborhood in Nassau. My partner is smart with money and was an integral part in our success.

Last edited by frostNY; 01-20-2019 at 01:32 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 06:33 AM

8,407 posts, read 4,429,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It doesn't sound like you do either!

I AM an immigrant, so not sure what you are saying.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,021,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Government employment will never be the answer. We have an underemployment crisis and there are not enough Government jobs for those above age 35 let alone those below it. Of course in NYC the urgency to fix the problem is exacerbated because of the ridiculously high COL even outside of Manhattan.

$45k may be enough to get by in Ozone Park for a 37 year old that got an Associate's degree and fulfilled the 60 college credit requirement, did a civil service job for 10 years then transferred to some cushy admin role later on. Great for him/her.

In the meanwhile, what about the Gen Z kid that just graduated college last year trying to apply for entry level Govt jobs that claim you need no experience yet prefer those coming to the table with experience either who already did scored high on a civil service exam or already on the job. This is not 1996 anymore. Nobody wants to train.

Those who just made the cut before the gate closed seem to be the most out of touch oddly enough. The Boomers who had kids late in life and have Millennial children already know the deal. Government work is not a scaleable solution to address the wider demographic issue of Millennial underemployment.

Great it worked for you, GREAT!!!! But that's you. We are talking about hundreds of thousands of young people in their mid-20s. Unless you are advocating for a solution a la Ocasio Cortez then the employment primarily needs to come from the Private sector.
Depending on the position, recent graduates are disposable......

No need for the private sector to make such investments.

And a basic office job doesn’t pay much more than what people get in the public sector. Especially when what should have been entry level jobs within the private sector got outsourced to temp agencies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City