Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 AM

757 posts, read 3,364,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I should have been specific
. . .
I just know from my 913285 times of being on that island that living there is not my cup of tea.
Well, that figure is very specific, and assuming that it meant one trip a day, you were here before Peter Minuit. Hell, you were here before the birth of Jesus! You are over 2,500 years old.

But seriously, every time you come to this forum, something upsets you. Your brain is producing chemicals associated with negative feelings, and you're effectively poisoning yourself into a becoming a very bitter person. Not good for you. Maybe there's a state, region or city in these forums that will make you happy. You can hang out there, before it's too late. You'll be happier there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
No there really aren't, at least with restaurants.

Outside of the Chillis/Red Lobsters/Applebees you generally have Chinese buffetts, Country food buffets, some BBQ restaurants (if you are in the South, and usually even these are local chains), and if you are lucky some random ethnic restaurants.
ignorance is bliss

Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 AM

18 posts, read 51,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Why would anybody move from NYC to Orange County?

I'm from California and Orange County is just boring uncultured, classless suburbia.
Well I'm from NYC and I need the change.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
I don't think I missed much. What else is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
ignorance is bliss

Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,908 times
I agree with you 100% Mead. Yes there are some downtown districts in these cities that have 10 block radius of walkability, restuarants, etc..but that is the exception and the vast majority, as in 99% of the population, do not live in the central business districts but in the burbs and exurbs. They drive to work, drive to the store, drive to Applebees, drive to Wal-Mart...that is the real pulse of the country. It is good for alot of people...it's not good for me!

I am all about change..but if you grow tired of Manhattan...which I would if I lived there too....I would go to the boroughs. Why? You can choose the lifestyle you want: urban, suburban, single family, multifamily, condo-coop, seaside bungalow, Mansion, high rise, Estate, townhouse, ocean views, city views,. You can STILL travel via public transportation everywhere. You can STILL have easy access to high paying jobs. You can STILL have access to a huge amount of diversity of everything like retail, people, food, culture, entertainment, shows, young/old, transplants, locals, etc. You can have a backyard and greenery.

All this just steps away from Manhattan..which is one of the reasons I STILL live in Mott Haven.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Where did I mention the South and Southern small towns? Have you even been to all of the listed places like some of us have? Did I besmirch places of history like Charleston SC or places of unique character like the Bluegrass of Kentucky? Reread my post with an increased level of reading comprehension and notice that we are focusing on the issue of cultural homogeneity of Sunbelt cities. Urban planning failed in the cities listed to create a metropolis of note. These Sunbelt cities rolled off the production line like white Hanes t-shirts, completely void of character, uniqueness and personality. This may be news to some but this cultural homogeneity is making it's way to New York.

For someone supposedly educated in the wondrous intellectual joys of urban planning you certainly surrender the high moral ground awfully fast and resort to name calling and accusations of ignorance. Sorry you do not notice these cultural changes while they are in action. You are like one of those bathers in those Tsunani videos from Thailand, Christmas 2004. You look at the Tsunami, you see the Tsunami, but you do not have the instincts to know it is a Tsunami, so you do nothing. Then the Tsunami hits you and rips you off the face of the motherloving earth.

By definition the Sunbelt is the south and the south west, so in your several generalizations about the Sunbelt, the south is obviously included in that, and the original argument , b/f you jumped in, was concerning Charlotte.
These cities you list: Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Fort Myers, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Hose, Oakland, Reno etc you ask me if I have ever been to all of these places. No I haven't, have you? You honestly want us to believe you have spent enough time in all of the above places to be able to critique them as critically as you have? I argued with you about the south, b/c I spent the first 25 years of my life in the south and it is something I know. I try not to argue things I dont know.

As far as the city planning, many of the cities you list and include in your Sunbelt comments, are very different, not "homogeneous" at all. Many originally were grid systems just like your precious NYC. Check out Grid plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for some reading.

Maybe you can clarify your Tsunami analogy, I'm not sure I get what you are trying to say.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 04-16-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 AM

7 posts, read 30,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentingcouple View Post
Wingpop: My boyfriend and I were just in a very similar situation, having lived in NYC for 5 years. There just comes a time when many people have had enough of the ridiculous price of living...it just all has to do with what you want for your own future. Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 or 20 years? We didn't see ourselves as middle-aged, sharing a studio or 1 bedroom walkup. We want a house. We want a yard and somewhere where our parents and siblings can sleep when they visit that isn't a pullout couch...in short, we want a more grounded lifestyle. If you're the type of person who can exist in a small space, or with roommates even well into adulthood, then you can take NYC for the long haul. If not, there is no shame in trying it out when you're young and not tied-down to anyone or anyplace -- then you can move on. It's been a big part of us growing up!

In terms of suggestions on where to live instead, I agree -- stay out of New England. Stay out of the Northeast in general, and out of California -- all these places are wonderful to live in if you make a six-figure salary, but if you're serious about saving money, why not move somewhere where every day isn't such a battle? Somewhere where the people are friendly and laid-back and you can actually save for your future? I think these places exist all over the country, but many people become NYC snobs and look down their noses at any places that aren't NYC. Guess what? No place is NYC, but many places will make you happy!!

I'm from Denver originally, and it's a great place to live. As would be somewhere like Portland or Austin or Nashville or Richmond. My boyfriend and I scouted all over the place and next week we are moving to Charlotte, North Carolina. North Carolina is one of the most affordable places to live in the most affordable area of the country (the South), and it is a chill, affordable, friendly, laid-back city just FULL of transplants from all over the country because of this. I even heard that an average of 400 people move to NC each week from the Tri-State area! Yankees are moving down there in droves, because you can have such an important thing there that you can't in NYC, in my opinion: better quality of life. My boyfriend and I said goodbye to our $1350/month 600 sf 1 bedroom in Queens and are saying hello to our $1000/month 1385 sf 3 bedroom in Charlotte!

I will always love in NYC and will go back a lot -- it's a wonderful place to visit -- but if you want the American Dream, in my opinion: NYC ain't it. Whatever you do, just make yourself happy...no matter where that may be!!!
Thank you for that. You are one of the few people who has made me feel like it's acceptable to say, "NYC is not for me."

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,908 times
wingpop...nyc is not for most people..which is why most people live outside of NYC. There is a big world out there...and NYC is certianly not the be all end all...leaving NYC is a good move for many people, in particular those lower class people who are stuck in horrendous living conditions with kids...it is better for them to move somewhere where their $10 an hour job goes MUCH farther..somewhere where they can havea decent home, send their kids to a decent school, and provide a healthier lifestyle for themselves and their families.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
wingpop...nyc is not for most people..which is why most people live outside of NYC. There is a big world out there...and NYC is certianly not the be all end all...leaving NYC is a good move for many people, in particular those lower class people who are stuck in horrendous living conditions with kids...it is better for them to move somewhere where their $10 an hour job goes MUCH farther..somewhere where they can havea decent home, send their kids to a decent school, and provide a healthier lifestyle for themselves and their families.
if you really think that there are only $10 an hour jobs outside of NYC you're more ignorant than I thought!
Like anywhere else if you are educated and/or have marketable, in demand skills you can make a ton of money outside of NY and not have to pay NY prices to live. The only ones in the $10 an hour bracket are the uneducated/unskilled and they are a dime a dozen wherever you go

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APB View Post
if you really think that there are only $10 an hour jobs outside of NYC you're more ignorant than I thought!
Like anywhere else if you are educated and/or have marketable, in demand skills you can make a ton of money outside of NY and not have to pay NY prices to live. The only ones in the $10 an hour bracket are the uneducated/unskilled and they are a dime a dozen wherever you go

Agreed APB, the average incomes for NYC I don't think differs that much from the rest of the country, so I don't understand the "living in NYC means you are nearer to higher paying jobs" argument. You may be nearer to them, but most of the people don't have them. And if you are highly educated and want one of those higher paying jobs here, there are so many people just like you it's hard. Finding a high paying job in another city is probably easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City