Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:04 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,904,264 times

Advertisements

developing...

City Councilman Jumaane Williams, an outspoken advocate for police reform who has criticized Mayor de Blasio for not being progressive enough, won a special election to be the city’s next public advocate.
With more than 90% of votes counted, Williams was in the lead with 33% of the vote, according to unofficial Board of Elections tallies — far ahead of his closest competitor, Republican Councilman Eric Ulrich of Queens, who had 19%.

Williams was a fierce critic of the city’s stop, question and frisk policies under former Mayor Bloomberg, and a champion of the Community Safety Act, which sought to end race-based policing and established an inspector general for the NYPD. But while he backed de Blasio’s campaign in 2013 — which was built around a seemingly aligned platform of police reform — Williams grew disillusioned with de Blasio, particularly around accountability for officers accused of misconduct.
"The mayor I endorsed in 2013 is not the mayor I have seen lately," Williams said at a debate last week.

Williams now has a bully pulpit to be a headache for de Blasio, particularly as the mayor tries to position himself as a progressive standout with national ambitions.

At his victory party in Flatbush, loud music blared and supporters hugged and cheered as news of Williams' victory played on a screen showing television coverage of the election.
“I feel very proud that he is seeing past all the adversarial issues. This is a challenging race. One that has so many democrats in one group,” said Yamil Miller, 32, who volunteered for Williams four days last week. “It’s a lot of courage being an activist for 20 years and a politician. His district loves him.”
"I knew he would win it because he is the best person for position," said Shanduke McPhatter, 40, the founder of a non-profit. "He advocates for the people’s cause. He sticks to things."

Williams fended off 16 other challengers in the non-partisan special election. In addition to Ulrich, he bested former Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, Assemblyman Michael Blake, and two other Council colleagues, Rafael Espinal and Ydanis Rodriguez.
In his campaign, Williams argued his history as an activist made him a natural for the role, which is known for pointing out problems in the city. He has a history of being arrested for civil disobedience, most recently for blocking an ambulance in protest of plans to deport immigration activist Ravi Ragbir.
But the Daily News also revealed Williams had been arrested in 2009 following a dispute with a girlfriend, though the case was dropped and the arrest was sealed. He downplayed the event as a “verbal disagreement,” though he said a purse was thrown and said damage reported by police happened after he tripped over a chair. Other candidates sought to pounce on the news, calling on Williams to elaborate on the circumstances behind the incident.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...226-story.html

Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 PM

37,210 posts, read 39,488,121 times
There needs to be a point system instead of a first past the post.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:28 PM

34,107 posts, read 47,343,484 times
what does OP think?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 AM

31,939 posts, read 27,048,330 times
So the guy finally wins an office. After being term limited out of his city council seat JW has been scouring the state for another spot. He lost lieutenant governor so guess public advocate it is.

Another career politician; I give up. New Yorkers deserve what they get from these elections.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,903,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Williams was in the lead with 33% of the vote,

And that means he won?

Back when I was living in NYC, some 30 years ago, the rule was that you needed at least 50% of the vote. If no one got 50%, there'd be a runoff election between the top two vote getters.

Is that no longer the rule?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 AM

270 posts, read 145,852 times
I guess DeBlasio just isn't "progressive" enough for the city.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 AM

270 posts, read 145,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
And that means he won?

Back when I was living in NYC, some 30 years ago, the rule was that you needed at least 50% of the vote. If no one got 50%, there'd be a runoff election between the top two vote getters.

Is that no longer the rule?
Good point because he doesn't speak for, or advocate for many of the people in this city who aren't progressive.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 13,992,119 times
He'll obviously run for mayor from this spot, if, as will likely happen, he wins the real election for it in November. Last night was just the special election to replace Letitia James for the remainder of her term.

I am hoping to grind out another 5 years on this job before retiring, but that would be really hard under a mayor who hates cops as much as this piece of crap. He was raised to hate cops. Fortunately, working in Staten Island I'd be insulated a little from his policies, but it would still be very tough to wear a city uniform under Mayor Ghetto Trash Williams.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,971,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He'll obviously run for mayor from this spot, if, as will likely happen, he wins the real election for it in November. Last night was just the special election to replace Letitia James for the remainder of her term.

I am hoping to grind out another 5 years on this job before retiring, but that would be really hard under a mayor who hates cops as much as this piece of crap. He was raised to hate cops. Fortunately, working in Staten Island I'd be insulated a little from his policies, but it would still be very tough to wear a city uniform under Mayor Ghetto Trash Williams.
How could we start another succession movement? Hmmm

Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 709,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
How could we start another succession movement? Hmmm
Sure, Williams to succeed DeBlasio?

Ho ho. You probably didn't write what you thought you were writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City