Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,606,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm not surprised, New York culture is one of discontentment. It could have the best standard of living and COL in the world and people would bltch and moan.

Meanwhile some of the poorest and most oppressed people in the world rank quite high in happiness.
Indeed. People who make good money, have health insurance, nice homes, savings, career security still find reasons to moan and sulk. It's a culture of discontent as you describe it. I don't get it. It's counter productive, it's unhealthy, but being a complainer, decrier of others I guess is addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,768,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
But humans live in all type of environments and contexts and have for a very long time. Cities are not a new phenomenon and NYC is not the worst example of one. People have been in high density areas and loud environments for hundreds of years so I assert that is normal for our species or has been for many billions of humans.

I guess that “normal” is different for everyone. Normal for me is not having to fight every day for a parking spot, a train seat, a space in an elevator.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,245,767 times
If we have better weather, I wonder if our ranking would rise.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I guess that “normal” is different for everyone. Normal for me is not having to fight every day for a parking spot, a train seat, a space in an elevator.
I would add that I would like to enjoy a subway ride In the subway without the pungent smell of hot urine in the air. Would also say, would love to not hear people talking loudly on the street. I got others. Yet, how does that keep me from being happy ?? While concentrating on those real hassles and they are, I also appreciate the City offers as well. I don't hold out the belief the grass is always greener elsewhere. No where is perfect. People who habitually complain about NYC, what is their belief that if they lived somewhere else they would be perfectly happy and it's only because they live in NYC their lives otherwise would have been perfect?

Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 PM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
Quote:
I would add that I would like to enjoy a subway ride In the subway without the pungent smell of hot urine in the air. Would also say, would love to not hear people talking loudly on the street. I got others. Yet, how does that keep me from being happy ?? While concentrating on those real hassles and they are, I also appreciate the City offers as well. I don't hold out the belief the grass is always greener elsewhere. No where is perfect. People who habitually complain about NYC, what is their belief that if they lived somewhere else they would be perfectly happy and it's only because they live in NYC their lives otherwise would have been perfect?
I get what you're saying

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,713,423 times
Happiness is a very squishy thing to try to quantify, but at least it sounds like they had better criteria than most.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Happiness is a very squishy thing to try to quantify, but at least it sounds like they had better criteria than most.
Puerto Rico for as long as I recall these type of surveys scored high on happiness scales. I am Puerto Rican in upbringing and can tell you happiness is based on appreciating life on a basis of gratitude. Gratitude, is key to happiness. Rejoicing and appreciating is a habit just as much as complaing is but far more healtby.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:14 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,375,626 times
Quote:
I might move from the City one day. Yet, not because I dislike anything about the City. Love the City. I'm from the worst part of the City as kid. Still loved the City. Don't know what's with you guys who so casually mention how little you have liked the City where you have lived all these years. I know it's mostly some sort of shared complaining to complain, but I don't get it. Thinks it's sad if true. You could have moved years ago but didn't. So you subjected yourself to such displeasure over nothing.

Exactly! I read threads from different cities and most of the posters seem to be at a place where moving is an option. If you choose not to and have the ability to, that's on you.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:16 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,375,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm not surprised, New York culture is one of discontentment. It could have the best standard of living and COL in the world and people would bltch and moan.

Meanwhile some of the poorest and most oppressed people in the world rank quite high in happiness.

Perhaps it is because they don't define their happiness in terms of material wealth.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:09 PM

8,938 posts, read 4,783,898 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico for as long as I recall these type of surveys scored high on happiness scales. I am Puerto Rican in upbringing and can tell you happiness is based on appreciating life on a basis of gratitude. Gratitude, is key to happiness. Rejoicing and appreciating is a habit just as much as complaing is but far more healtby.
Yeah. It's a frame of mind. Or at least that's part of the equation. Though I do think some people have a "happiness DNA". Predisposed to happiness. It doesn't take much for them to be content. Lucky people, if you ask me. Just like some people are predisposed to misery. It doesn't take much to make them unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: