Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 01:43 PM

57 posts, read 31,498 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Am I right about that? When I move there, if I don’t need affordable housing is it fairly easy to just “get into” the building that you like so long as there are vacancies? Or is there still a lot of competition? I’m sure some buildings are more desirable, etc. But if I look at a building and there are 10 one-bedrooms available, it sounds like the process should be pretty simple right? Particularly interested in The Eugene in Hudson Yards / Chelsea. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Yes, if you can afford to pay market rate for the Eugene, it will be easy for you to get an apartment there. Landlords will welcome you with open arms, and you will have your choice of many nice buildings.

The common areas in that building look amazing!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 07-14-2019 at 04:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 05:32 AM

100 posts, read 59,018 times
Whiteshadow, your annual income needs to be 40x the monthly rent. So, say the $3575 Studio (yep, that is the cheapest studio at the Eugene), annual income needs to $143,000. Cheapest 1 BR listed at the Eugene is $4384/ month. Annual income required would be $175,360.

So, yes, if you make good money, there will be no shortage of units for rental. NYC has been building a lot of these market rate rentals. Best to you. Good to be in the driver’s seat if you are earning good money in NYC.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 AM

macnyc2003, thank you for the response! The building is incredible inside and out. The rooftop views are going to be the best part.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Evolving, thanks for the info. I am learning a lot about the rental process. It certainly is different from anywhere else I have lived. I'm a research hound though, so I am fully prepared, or I will be after a few more queries on this site. Thanks again! Also, thank you for taking the time to look up market rates, that's above and beyond pal! Where I live has always been most important to me, and I am willing to pay the price for a great place.

Last edited by Whiteshadow; 07-14-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 AM

A couple more questions I have since renting in NYC is different from anywhere else I've been:

- Will I need a broker or can I just deal with management of the building that I want to live in and avoid those fees? It says that it's a "No Fee" building but I've also read that sometimes they can be misleading when they say that.

- What are the chances that I can negotiate a small discount by paying for 2 years up front?

Thanks all.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Usually, when you are dealing with management directly, there is no fee. For these new luxury rentals, I doubt you would need an agent.

You’ll have to ask about the two-year deal. But I would be reluctant to do that. Suppose you don’t like it? You would be stuck there.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 AM

macnyc2003, I have certainly thought about that. I hope to be able to ask all my questions and get a really good look at it in person on my next visit coming soon. I would still take the chance probably, if the deal was good enough. If it didn't save me a significant amount of money, I wouldn't risk being stuck there. I'm a numbers guy, and if the numbers make sense, that's what I go with. I'm also extremely easy going when things aren't perfect, so is my wife. We stopped getting bent out of shape about silly stuff a long time ago. It's not worth the stress. If it turned out to be different from what we hoped, we would just move on when we could and try something else. 2 years goes by in the blink of an eye for us anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: