Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times

Advertisements

I know that there are a lot of passionate opinions being exchanged here, however I do question the motivations of people. While I am not a fan of De Blasio, can anyone provide some factual information regarding how is 2X terms in office have led to a decline in NYC. I am talking crime stats, quality of life data (311 calls etc.)?

I (registered Republican) was a huge fan of Giuliani and Bloomberg, however the fact that NYPD has a bad relationship with De Blasio or the fact that he spent a total of 7 hours at City Hall in May does not translate into the City going downhill, unless there is quantifiable data to support this view. Besides, the Republican brand is so tarnished in NYC, that a moderate Democrat or an Independent is the best shot for the remaining conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I know that there are a lot of passionate opinions being exchanged here, however I do question the motivations of people. While I am not a fan of De Blasio, can anyone provide some factual information regarding how is 2X terms in office have led to a decline in NYC. I am talking crime stats, quality of life data (311 calls etc.)?

I (registered Republican) was a huge fan of Giuliani and Bloomberg, however the fact that NYPD has a bad relationship with De Blasio or the fact that he spent a total of 7 hours at City Hall in May does not translate into the City going downhill, unless there is quantifiable data to support this view. Besides, the Republican brand is so tarnished in NYC, that a moderate Democrat or an Independent is the best shot for the remaining conservatives.

A registered Republican can't see what's happening in NYC? I don't believe the crime stats at all, they are manipulated. Quality of life? Have you been in the subway lately, or on the street?

The fact that NYC is running better without Mayor Putz makes the point. We're better off without him running things.

Registered republican? Are you sure?

Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
To think that Bloomberg and Giuliani are the same is sheer stupidity. Giuliani is a clown and but for 9/11 would be a tragic old man struggling to make child support payments. He tried to stick on, citing 9/11 and NYers were NOT having it.

Bloomberg will at least listen to those who aren't part of his world. Giuliani was a polarizing monster.

Btw crime remains far lower now than it was in the Giuliani era. Yes one can reduce crime without shooting black men 26 times because they pulled out their ID as they were commanded to do.
The best thing that ever happened to NYC was Rudy beating Dinkins. Yes, Rudy can be a real scumbag, and Dinkins was nothing but a gentleman. But those characteristics don't qualify or disqualify you from being an effective mayor. The murder rate PLUMMETED under Rudy and it was because of Rudy. Dinkins was clueless.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The best thing that ever happened to NYC was Rudy beating Dinkins. Yes, Rudy can be a real scumbag, and Dinkins was nothing but a gentleman. But those characteristics don't qualify or disqualify you from being an effective mayor. The murder rate PLUMMETED under Rudy and it was because of Rudy. Dinkins was clueless.
Can we get some numbers on that?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
I don't believe the crime stats at all, they are manipulated

So instead of operating on facts you rely on FEELINGS (or voices inside your head, like your president.)

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

Current NYC budget is projected to be $96 billion, that's all you need to know. Forget about the corruption/bribery or even his wife's dealings. To put it in perspective, De Blasio increased government spending by around the whole budget of Los Angeles with very little results to show for it.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
NYC will go through another down period where spending will be high, crime will rise, and people fleeing while more criminals move in. It's cyclical.

It's not a bad thing if you're young because you can wait for all this to play itself out in 10-15 years and see if NYC gets really bad or stays the same. If it gets bad, then it's a good time to get back to NYC and buy up some cheap properties later on.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC will go through another down period where spending will be high, crime will rise, and people fleeing while more criminals move in. It's cyclical.

It's not a bad thing if you're young because you can wait for all this to play itself out in 10-15 years and see if NYC gets really bad or stays the same. If it gets bad, then it's a good time to get back to NYC and buy up some cheap properties later on.
Ha

So you have the crystal ball

What are tonight's lottery numbers?

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So instead of operating on facts you rely on FEELINGS (or voices inside your head, like your president.)

Just walk around the streets. Talk to people. Read the news. The statistics don't match what's going on. Question: you don't notice the decline in quality of life in Manhattan?

Old 09-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Just walk around the streets. Talk to people. Read the news. The statistics don't match what's going on. Question: you don't notice the decline in quality of life in Manhattan?
Ppl are acting like you could eat off the floor 10 years ago especially in Manhattan

If anything 2009 in Manhattan was more dangerous.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City