Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 PM

149 posts, read 100,023 times

Advertisements

is it easier to evict a month to month tenant (staying after lease is over) or a tenant on a lease in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Perhaps WAGS or WENDY have the answer

Old 09-12-2019, 02:49 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
is it easier to evict a month to month tenant (staying after lease is over) or a tenant on a lease in NYC?
not at all . whether it is your lease or the lease implied on a month to month by the state and local laws eviction is the same .

Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
Yeah it's the same deal for both. The key number is 30 days. If someone is living in your space for 30 days, then in New York City you lose your constitutional rights to property. The person, regardless of any payment to you, gains rights to stay on your property until you get a formal court judgement to evict them. Under the most recent laws, a tenant can pretend to 'search' for 12 months for a new apartment at which time they cannot be legally evicted even while not paying any rent. So if the deadbeat tenant is a real moocher, you're looking at about 1.5 years of being victimized without rent and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT (unless of course you're willing to go the street justice route)

Old 09-12-2019, 03:53 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah it's the same deal for both. The key number is 30 days. If someone is living in your space for 30 days, then in New York City you lose your constitutional rights to property. The person, regardless of any payment to you, gains rights to stay on your property until you get a formal court judgement to evict them. Under the most recent laws, a tenant can pretend to 'search' for 12 months for a new apartment at which time they cannot be legally evicted even while not paying any rent. So if the deadbeat tenant is a real moocher, you're looking at about 1.5 years of being victimized without rent and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT (unless of course you're willing to go the street justice route)

Can you not sue them for rent payments, if they have assets/valuables?

Not sure why a legal system encourages tenants to live rent free and not get penalized.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

Not sure why a legal system encourages tenants to live rent free and not get penalized.
All they do is declare bankruptcy and you wasted more time and money pursuing it .

Plus with no lease it can be tough proving what the rent was supposed to be if they paid you in cash.. I ran in to that ...I had a tenant who was month to month after her lease expired ...since she bounced a check I got paid in cash ..... I had no proof as to what the rent she didn’t pay actually was supposed to be

Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
And no landlord is immune, even colleges and universities!!!

This dropout Lisa Palmer from Hunter College decided she didn't feel like leaving her dorm, so she just didn't leave and made like she lived there permanently and Hunter could not do a single thing about it except go through the long, arduous and expensive eviction process:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...to-leave-dorms

2 years+ rent free

Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 AM

62 posts, read 35,298 times
Quote:

I spoke to several lawyers about this. They said the new law does not apply to landlord that owns 4 units or less. Now before the new law went into effect, I've personally was involved in several evictions and no judge will allow them to stay pass 2 months rent free. Now combining the wait time for the court hearings overall my past tenants was there 5-6 months rent free. If they need more time looking they would have to pay the entire rent owe on the spot or face eviction, they chose to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

Yes thats why is up to you, the landlord to screen them properly. You as a landlord ask for everything such as 1 year bank statement, credit card bills, etc. You screen their entire life. Now do I do some illegal screening? Of course, not taking any chances. For example now I do discriminate against a certain ghetto race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All they do is declare bankruptcy and you wasted more time and money pursuing it .

Plus with no lease it can be tough proving what the rent was supposed to be if they paid you in cash.. I ran in to that ...I had a tenant who was month to month after her lease expired ...since she bounced a check I got paid in cash ..... I had no proof as to what the rent she didn’t pay actually was supposed to be

I dont think its common for every tenant you rent to will declare bankruptcy. Luckily I haven't ran into that problem. When I was evicting the tenant they're lease already expired 6 months ago and was on month to month. Judge ask them to pay the last 6 months so they could stay and have more time looking for apartment or face eviction. Tenant chose to leave. Now the lawyer suggest that I could sue them after eviction, but if they had no money, then it would be a waste a time. They look like the type that didn't have any money, so I didn't go after them.

Quote:
And no landlord is immune, even colleges and universities!!!

This dropout Lisa Palmer from Hunter College decided she didn't feel like leaving her dorm, so she just didn't leave and made like she lived there permanently and Hunter could not do a single thing about it except go through the long, arduous and expensive eviction process:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...to-leave-dorms

2 years+ rent free

Before clicking this article I was playing that game called "guess that race" I was right again. All of my tenant problems and eviction was people that look like her. Never again will I rent to people that look like that. I dont care if they have a perfect credit score, with a 7 figure income along with a 7 figure assets.
I screen and discriminate hard.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post
I spoke to several lawyers about this. They said the new law does not apply to landlord that owns 4 units or less. Now before the new law went into effect, I've personally was involved in several evictions and no judge will allow them to stay pass 2 months rent free. Now combining the wait time for the court hearings overall my past tenants was there 5-6 months rent free. If they need more time looking they would have to pay the entire rent owe on the spot or face eviction, they chose to leave.

Yes thats why is up to you, the landlord to screen them properly. You as a landlord ask for everything such as 1 year bank statement, credit card bills, etc. You screen their entire life. Now do I do some illegal screening? Of course, not taking any chances. For example now I do discriminate against a certain ghetto race.

I dont think its common for every tenant you rent to will declare bankruptcy. Luckily I haven't ran into that problem. When I was evicting the tenant they're lease already expired 6 months ago and was on month to month. Judge ask them to pay the last 6 months so they could stay and have more time looking for apartment or face eviction. Tenant chose to leave. Now the lawyer suggest that I could sue them after eviction, but if they had no money, then it would be a waste a time. They look like the type that didn't have any money, so I didn't go after them.

Before clicking this article I was playing that game called "guess that race" I was right again. All of my tenant problems and eviction was people that look like her. Never again will I rent to people that look like that. I dont care if they have a perfect credit score, with a 7 figure income along with a 7 figure assets.
we were very diligent about screening our tenants but :::: IF YOU ARE A LANDLORD , EVENTUALLY ONE OF THE TRIFECTA'S FROM LANDLORD HELL WILL GET YOU . DIVORCE-ILLNESS AND JOB LOSS eventually get even the most carefully screened tenants . in our case it was divorce got her .... so you can screen all you want but these three escape all vetting .

Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 AM

337 posts, read 356,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinNY View Post
Have you ever been caught or suspected of doing this? In the case that you do, how will you defend your approach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: