Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:15 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it has been asked before, but here you go.

Do you think Bed Stuy will ultimately become like
Park Slope? If so what would your guess be for demographics?
To graduate from gentrified to yuppyville whites would have to
make up at least 50% of the population. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Not sure if it has been asked before, but here you go.

Do you think Bed Stuy will ultimately become like
Park Slope? If so what would your guess be for demographics?
To graduate from gentrified to yuppyville whites would have to
make up at least 50% of the population. IMO
It would be more like Fort Greene at 50%

Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It would be more like Fort Greene at 50%
A much bigger Fort Greene. So it sounds like it will end up like a blacker Astoria then.
It will definitely not be a poor neighborhood any longer, regardless of demographics.

I think gentrification will be less white as time marches on, which is great. It will be interesting
to see how we stratify ourselves in the future as is the human condition.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
A much bigger Fort Greene. So it sounds like it will end up like a blacker Astoria then.
It will definitely not be a poor neighborhood any longer, regardless of demographics.

I think gentrification will be less white as time marches on, which is great. It will be interesting
to see how we stratify ourselves in the future as is the human condition.
Asians are doing their own gentrification in several neighborhoods. Look at how expensive neighborhoods like Bensonhurst and Flushing are getting. And how many higher end restaurants have been popping up there.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:23 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
If by gentrification you are referring to changing demographics (to include racial and socioeconomic) and the amenities that arrive to suit new tastes, then I say Bed Stuy will never be Park Slope . . . Fort Greene is much more likely. There are many black brownstone owners who refuse to sell their properties and view Bed Stuy as their home base. And so long as increasing rents make it likely to make good rental income, I don't see this changing. And, quite frankly, I prefer the diversity of Fort Greene to Park Slope in any case.

But, boy, things have changed in Bed Stuy. I can recall growing up in Bed Stuy when the first non black family moved onto our street (this was in the mid 1990s); they were Puerto Rican. This was big news.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Asians are doing their own gentrification in several neighborhoods. Look at how expensive neighborhoods like Bensonhurst and Flushing are getting. And how many higher end restaurants have been popping up there.
Bensonhurst isn't expensive.
It's still one of the most affordable neighborhoods in the city.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If by gentrification you are referring to changing demographics (to include racial and socioeconomic) and the amenities that arrive to suit new tastes, then I say Bed Stuy will never be Park Slope . . . Fort Greene is much more likely. There are many black brownstone owners who refuse to sell their properties and view Bed Stuy as their home base. And so long as increasing rents make it likely to make good rental income, I don't see this changing. And, quite frankly, I prefer the diversity of Fort Greene to Park Slope in any case.

But, boy, things have changed in Bed Stuy. I can recall growing up in Bed Stuy when the first non black family moved onto our street (this was in the mid 1990s); they were Puerto Rican. This was big news.
When I worked on Ralph Avenue in Bed Stuy in the early to mid-2000's I never saw another white person the whole year I worked there. Seriously.
People used to speak to me in Spanish, because - as a white person - I think they assumed I MUST be Puerto Rican if I was in that neighborhood!

Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Bensonhurst isn't expensive.
It's still one of the most affordable neighborhoods in the city.
If you want to buy a house there, it is expensive. The Asian money in that neighborhood has caused housing prices to go way up.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:43 PM

201 posts, read 85,160 times
Bed stuy is still ratchet. Long way to go for what you are talking. There are of course some nice houses and quiet streets but once you leave your house the streets are ratchet IMO.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
When I worked on Ralph Avenue in Bed Stuy in the early to mid-2000's I never saw another white person the whole year I worked there. Seriously.
People used to speak to me in Spanish, because - as a white person - I think they assumed I MUST be Puerto Rican if I was in that neighborhood!
Back then they probably assumed any actual white person was only there to buy drugs (parts of Philly are still like this)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City