Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 07:45 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
The entire borough can't be all that bad... I'm specifically saying this because I visited the Bronx sometime ago when a friend/colleague invited us all for dinner. We went as a group because "ooh, we're going to the Bronx!" but it wasn't all that bad. We went by subway...it was uneventful and his apt was really spacious & nice and his entire apt. complex well kept. And the surrounding areas must've been ok because we had to walk a ways from the subway and it was...fine.

The thing is, I don't know where I was. I was with a group so just followed them and wasn't paying any attention. We were all so busy yakking & this one colleague knew where we were all going so we just followed him. I wish I can remember what part of the Bronx it was but it wasn't Riverdale (I've been to Riverdale). I specifically remember this dinner party because the Bronx had this rep at the time (and still does, apparently) but heading out there & his actual place was...fine.
There are a lot of great neighborhoods in the Bronx, including Pelham Bay by the way where one of these shooting incidents happened. Bad things have happened in every neighborhood in the city at one time or another so you need to look at overall crime rates over time. I think it makes people feel superior or gives them a little relief from their own miserableness to dump on the entire borough because the Bronx is an easy target for sure considering it's history. Overall crime for most of the Bronx is comparable to most areas in Manhattan below Central Park (per 1000 residents) if you look at crime maps https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/. As far as murders, my neighborhood (Bedford Park) hasn't had one in the period of time available on this map (Jan 2018 - Sept 2019). Can't say that for the Upper East Side or even Riverdale.

Werdy, where do you live in the Bronx?

Last edited by yodel; 11-29-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 08:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Hurry someone bring up the fact that it's safer now than it was in 1990....
One bad day doesn't change the fact that the crime rate in the Bronx in 2019 is a fraction of what it was in 1990. In 2019, 10 people getting shot in The Bronx in one day is news. In 1990 it was a given

Old 11-29-2019, 09:36 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
One bad day doesn't change the fact that the crime rate in the Bronx in 2019 is a fraction of what it was in 1990. In 2019, 10 people getting shot in The Bronx in one day is news. In 1990 it was a given

Well I guess the 10 people who got shot can take comfort in that.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Pelham Bay is usually fine. Sounds like someone might've known the people they shot at.

Quote:
The entire borough can't be all that bad... I'm specifically saying this because I visited the Bronx sometime ago when a friend/colleague invited us all for dinner. We went as a group because "ooh, we're going to the Bronx!" but it wasn't all that bad. We went by subway...it was uneventful and his apt was really spacious & nice and his entire apt. complex well kept. And the surrounding areas must've been ok because we had to walk a ways from the subway and it was...fine.

The thing is, I don't know where I was. I was with a group so just followed them and wasn't paying any attention. We were all so busy yakking & this one colleague knew where we were all going so we just followed him. I wish I can remember what part of the Bronx it was but it wasn't Riverdale (I've been to Riverdale). I specifically remember this dinner party because the Bronx had this rep at the time (and still does, apparently) but heading out there & his actual place was...fine.
You don't know what train you took or what stop you got off of?

There are quite a few areas in the Bronx that are nice---most of the time you need to ride through a crummy area to get there though.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:43 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:

Most of the good areas of the Bronx are away from the subway. Only a tiny part of Riverdale is a near a subway.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Most of the good areas of the Bronx are away from the subway. Only a tiny part of Riverdale is a near a subway.

TELL me about it.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You don't know what train you took or what stop you got off of?

There are quite a few areas in the Bronx that are nice---most of the time you need to ride through a crummy area to get there though.

All I know is that it was the 4/5/6 and we were there for quite a time. I wish I could recall the station we finally got off on. Wherever we were, I think it was the top portion of the Bronx. I could be wrong. My memory is hazy. All I remember with clarity is his apt and the apt. complex because it was so nice and had something Manhattan does not which is SPACE! His place was huge and he had really big, nice, comfy furniture and an actual dining table (the kind that belongs in a house, not a tiny apt). I liked the neighborhood as well. Gave off good vibes (not hostile but not overly friendly/nosy either). We had a good time.

Last edited by Aeran; 11-29-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2019, 01:04 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
I think part of the problem historically is in the name. The Bronx sounds pretty rough, and is part of what gives it a bad rap. I suggest NYC substitutes the x in the Bronx for a softer vowel like d. The Brond would be more amenable to good vibes, at least phonetically. Something to think about in 2020.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I think part of the problem historically is in the name. The Bronx sounds pretty rough, and is part of what gives it a bad rap. I suggest NYC substitutes the x in the Bronx for a softer vowel like d. The Brond would be more amenable to good vibes, at least phonetically. Something to think about in 2020.
The Brond, James Brond

Old 11-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
All I know is that it was the 4/5/6 and we were there for quite a time. I wish I could recall the station we finally got off on. Wherever we were, I think it was the top portion of the Bronx. I could be wrong. My memory is hazy. All I remember with clarity is his apt and the apt. complex because it was so nice and had something Manhattan does not which is SPACE! His place was huge and he had really big, nice, comfy furniture and an actual dining table (the kind that belongs in a house, not a tiny apt). I liked the neighborhood as well. Gave off good vibes (not hostile but not overly friendly/nosy either). We had a good time.
That narrows it down a lot (just kidding). The 4, 5 and 6 all go to different places in the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City