Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
As one whose family fled Kingsbridge nearly 50 years ago, I would suggest that you are being conspicuously kind and generous to that nabe and adjoining Bedford Park, both of which went bad in the late sixties.

Caught on camera: Police release video of Kingsbridge Heights sh
I googled historical statistics and the 52 precinct had I think 47 murders in '93 and 7 in 2018 (the last full year that stats are available). That's a lower rate than the 50th precinct in Riverdale and none in Bedford Park itself. I can't say what it was like in 1970 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 06:57 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times
Quote:
As one whose family fled Kingsbridge nearly 50 years ago, I would suggest that you are being conspicuously kind and generous to that nabe and adjoining Bedford Park, both of which went bad in the late sixties.

50 years ago is the late 60s / early 70s. You’re talking about a radically different situation. I would suggest you realize that time sometimes comes with change.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:12 PM

174 posts, read 107,026 times
This got worse. We didn't have shootings on Kingsbridge Road back then.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:17 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I think part of the problem historically is in the name. The Bronx sounds pretty rough, and is part of what gives it a bad rap. I suggest NYC substitutes the x in the Bronx for a softer vowel like d. The Brond would be more amenable to good vibes, at least phonetically. Something to think about in 2020.
wasn't it significantly safer when it predominantly irish, italian and dutch?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,529,442 times
Quote:

what events/changes lead to the bronx going bad in the 60s?

Old 11-29-2019, 08:59 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,566,906 times
Quote:
This got worse. We didn't have shootings on Kingsbridge Road back then.
They got worse and then they got better. It’s a pretty good neighborhood now. The Kingsbridge Heights is definitely rougher than the Kingsbridge proper though.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:19 AM

150 posts, read 87,939 times
Housing crashing people are looking to move out of the city . The cops are finished dealing with the liberal agenda and crime will now skyrocket. January and the no bail loop is coming in 1 month . Good luck everyone

Old 11-30-2019, 02:57 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,138,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
wasn't it significantly safer when it predominantly irish, italian and dutch?
Definitely Dutch. They only had a string of hamlets, and clogs aren't the best at jumping over fences.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Definitely Dutch. They only had a string of hamlets, and clogs aren't the best at jumping over fences.
lol There was a teen that used to wear those clogs years ago. I guess they still make them, which I found fascinating. Probably can get them in The Netherlands. These were wooden ones though. lol

Old 11-30-2019, 05:20 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
There are a lot of great neighborhoods in the Bronx, including Pelham Bay by the way where one of these shooting incidents happened. Bad things have happened in every neighborhood in the city at one time or another so you need to look at overall crime rates over time. I think it makes people feel superior or gives them a little relief from their own miserableness to dump on the entire borough because the Bronx is an easy target for sure considering it's history. Overall crime for most of the Bronx is comparable to most areas in Manhattan below Central Park (per 1000 residents) if you look at crime maps https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/. As far as murders, my neighborhood (Bedford Park) hasn't had one in the period of time available on this map (Jan 2018 - Sept 2019). Can't say that for the Upper East Side or even Riverdale.

Werdy, where do you live in the Bronx?
When has the Upper East Side or Riverdale had a murder in the time period you mentioned above? The 50th precinct includes large areas well outside of Riverdale. Riverdale has car theft because it is an upper middle class neighborhood with easy access to highways. The Upper East... I’d like to hear about these murders you refer to and where...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City