Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,802,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
All of a sudden, the package said “delivered” and signed by “office”. My blood pressure started to boil. We were all in our offices and we didn’t hear anyone come to the front door to deliver. I get on the phone and call UPS.

A rep. tells me they have to investigate and that it could take DAYS to find out what happened to the package.
Same. That's why I get things delivered to Amazon lockers as much as possible. Every morning, afternoon and evening in my bldg there's a mountain of packages strewn across the lobby just laying there. It's like an Easter egg hunt but with everyone scowling looking for their packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,802,563 times
Quote:

One thing I caution people against is using Laser Ship.
So far, Lasership's been ok for me. I'm nervous each time Amazon uses them but they've been ok. At least they've been better than that USPS smart post thing (I hope that's been discontinued). That was awful!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Same. That's why I get things delivered to Amazon lockers as much as possible. Every morning, afternoon and evening in my bldg there's a mountain of packages strewn across the lobby just laying there. It's like an Easter egg hunt but with everyone scowling looking for their packages.
My girlfriend's building is like that in the City. You come in and there are all of the packages in the lobby. One time someone apparently opened someone else's package by accident or took it and a note was left by the elevator asking for it to be returned before they went to management. lol There are cameras everywhere so management can see who took what. Don't know what happened with that but there are some snobs in the building that get really pissy about everything. There's a small building that I used to frequent on the Upper West of someone that I knew. I was amazed at how nice everyone was. The packages were left right in the lobby not too far from the front door which closed VERY slowly and you could look right through it and see the packages in the lobby! Granted there were cameras but still. Heard of one instance where someone either had their package stolen, and it was likely from someone passing by. You could easily walk in while the door was closing, steal the package and walk right out before the door even closed, that's how slowly that door closed. Crazy... The kind of rent that place charged, you would think they would have a virtual doorman or lockers somewhere for packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
So far, Lasership's been ok for me. I'm nervous each time Amazon uses them but they've been ok. At least they've been better than that USPS smart post thing (I hope that's been discontinued). That was awful!
I had too many problems with them. I used to have things shipped to my office with Laser Ship, and at least three or four times, they would claim that they attempted to deliver but couldn't despite the office being open. One time they left my package just outside of the pffoce door. No attempt to use the buzzer.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,186,722 times
Check out the Amazon hub. Maybe request one for your building.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/...n_video_LP.mp4

Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM

282 posts, read 576,810 times
Quote:
We had something for next day for our office. We know who the UPS delivery person is because our building is big and basically there’s a UPS truck on the block all day delivering stuff. We’re tracking it closely because it was urgently needed. All of a sudden, the package said “delivered” and signed by “office”.
I actually asked the UPS person in my office building about this because it happens to me as well. He said it usually means that he was making another delivery and my package got scanned by mistake with other ones that were being delivered. He knows it belongs to us and always delivers it.

Quote:
They aren't punished because our politicians won't let nypd do their job
And what do you think the cops would do if you called them and said someone took your Amazon package? No proof, no suspect, no nothing. Unless it's a persistent problem in your building, there is very little, if anything, they can do.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 AM

4,798 posts, read 6,635,480 times
We have cameras everywhere in my complex, but management refuses to review the footage when a package goes missing. Right now I have most stuff sent to a nearby relative who has a doorman. It’s a pain.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
We have cameras everywhere in my complex, but management refuses to review the footage when a package goes missing. Right now I have most stuff sent to a nearby relative who has a doorman. It’s a pain.
We were promised we'd get some sort of virtual thing for packages in my building but it never happened. I'm really torn if I want a doorman or not. Good for packages, but at the same time, I don't want them in my business. You're basically tipping some guy who on top of that knows everything about you. When you come and go, where you order from... No thanks...

Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,199,557 times
No different from the "fell off the truck" concept.

The mob STILL controls all transport, so think of the losses as viggorish, a cost of doing business. It will NEVER go away unless the government destroys the Mafia, which AIN'T gonna happen in a capitalist society

Old 12-03-2019, 10:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,061,542 times
Quote:
We were promised we'd get some sort of virtual thing for packages in my building but it never happened. I'm really torn if I want a doorman or not. Good for packages, but at the same time, I don't want them in my business. You're basically tipping some guy who on top of that knows everything about you. When you come and go, where you order from... No thanks...
Particularly if privacy is an issue and you don't want things delivered from work, it's best to rent out a private mailbox at Mailbox, etc., or UPS and have packages delivered there, if no one is going to be home during delivery and you'd rather not deliver to work.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Particularly if privacy is an issue and you don't want things delivered from work, it's best to rent out a private mailbox at Mailbox, etc., or UPS and have packages delivered there, if no one is going to be home during delivery and you'd rather not deliver to work.
I already have such a service, but ideally when I do move, I'd like to have packages delivered there. More convenient. I have some items delivered to the office that aren't too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City