Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,336,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We were promised we'd get some sort of virtual thing for packages in my building but it never happened. I'm really torn if I want a doorman or not. Good for packages, but at the same time, I don't want them in my business. You're basically tipping some guy who on top of that knows everything about you. When you come and go, where you order from... No thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Particularly if privacy is an issue and you don't want things delivered from work, it's best to rent out a private mailbox at Mailbox, etc., or UPS and have packages delivered there, if no one is going to be home during delivery and you'd rather not deliver to work.
My building has a virtual doorman and package room and despite the “missing package” issue that happens from time to time, I do think it’s a good middle ground option for deliveries. More often than not people do get their deliveries without a problem and the virtual door monitoring system either emails or calls you when you have a delivery. The delivery person is monitored as they make their way to the package closet where they are let into the package room by the virtual monitor.

This issue we have most is when UPS claims a delivery is made when it’s not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 10:57 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,335,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
My building has a virtual doorman and package room and despite the “missing package” issue that happens from time to time, I do think it’s a good middle ground option for deliveries. More often than not people do get their deliveries without a problem and the virtual door monitoring system either emails or calls you when you have a delivery. The delivery person is monitored as they make their way to the package closet where they are let into the package room by the virtual monitor.

This issue we have most is when UPS claims a delivery is made when it’s not.
Interesting... I always wondered how that worked... How exactly does that work? There are a few buildings that have this in my neighborhood, and I would prefer that as opposed to a doorman.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,336,893 times
Quote:
Interesting... I always wondered how that worked... How exactly does that work? There are a few buildings that have this in my neighborhood, and I would prefer that as opposed to a doorman.
In the entry way there is a keypad with an intercom and camera. You press the “call button” and it dials a central station that is manned 24/7 by a monitoring company. When the monitoring service answers, they can see the person in the entry way and speak to them. The delivery person identifies themselves and which apartment they are delivering to. They virtual door person then let’s them into the building lobby and the delivery person then walks to the package closet (also in the lobby). Their is another “call button” on the package closet door and the delivery person must press that button so that the monitoring person can let them in- doing that allows the monitoring service to “sign” for the package as delivered. The service then calls or emails the recipient letting them know they have a package.

It’s not a perfect system but it’s a good in-between.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,536,317 times
The vast majority of package theft is never even reported to the police. People complain to business that shipped the item, and it's replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Crimes like these are in a worst case scenario a slap on the wrist. They aren't punished because our politicians won't let nypd do their job. Same goes for pooping and doing drugs in the street.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,782,873 times
Quote:
the FedEx guy I know well. Always makes sure my packages are delivered timely and not damaged.
I’m not just singling you out this applies for anyone who thinks this about ups/fed ex. Your driver/delivery person is the last person to handle the package and the least responsible person for it being damaged.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I’m not just singling you out this applies for anyone who thinks this about ups/fed ex. Your driver/delivery person is the last person to handle the package and the least responsible person for it being damaged.
Maybe, maybe not.... I have had some orders from Vitacost "Out for Delivery" only to find out that the package was damaged. Really depends....

Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,782,873 times
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.... I have had some orders from Vitacost "Out for Delivery" only to find out that the package was damaged. Really depends....
Yes when this happens it’s because the package was already damaged when put into the truck. Since most drivers don’t load their own trucks they won’t know until they are close to the destination and line up the next line on their route and notice how damage it is. Essentially a driver doesn’t make sure a package is taken care of for you until you’re next in line of their route.

A package goes from the merchants warehouse via multiple belts and people/machines onto a delivery van into the carriers warehouse via multiple belts and people/machine onto a trailer to the nearest warehouse of your carrier onto multiple belts with people and machines onto the drivers truck finally. There’s lots of things that can happen before your driver even notices it lol.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM

105 posts, read 91,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The vast majority of package theft is never even reported to the police. People complain to business that shipped the item, and it's replaced.
Police don't want to deal with it either as it creates paperwork for a crime they probably won't allocate any resources to solving.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,166,399 times
Any new age mob groups can take the blame for this. Is not hard to get the right people ,move the right packages,to the right people,in the strongest way.
I'm surprised the number isn't double the estimate. Especially with the upward trend of not shopping at the store, things just disappear.
Are we so suprised?

Old 12-03-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Yes when this happens it’s because the package was already damaged when put into the truck. Since most drivers don’t load their own trucks they won’t know until they are close to the destination and line up the next line on their route and notice how damage it is. Essentially a driver doesn’t make sure a package is taken care of for you until you’re next in line of their route.

A package goes from the merchants warehouse via multiple belts and people/machines onto a delivery van into the carriers warehouse via multiple belts and people/machine onto a trailer to the nearest warehouse of your carrier onto multiple belts with people and machines onto the drivers truck finally. There’s lots of things that can happen before your driver even notices it lol.
I'm well aware, but that doesn't change what I said. The package can be damaged anywhere along the way. My packages are always packaged well, so if there's any issue it's usually FedEx somewhere along the way or perhaps while it is on the plane. If we were talking about say Target where they throw your items into a box and it comes in any old fashion, then you'd have a good argument. Some places pack the items better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City