Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times

Advertisements

So says the NY Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/n...age-theft.html

"In New York City, where more orders are delivered than anywhere else in the country, over 90,000 packages a day are stolen or disappear without explanation, up roughly 20 percent from four years ago, according to an analysis conducted for The New York Times."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Can't see the link---did they actually determine the difference or did they just see an increase in packages that went missing along with the obvious increase in packages shipped per day?

It's easy. Just follow the trucks, walk up to the house and steal the package. Happens all of the time.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,865,667 times
Clearly surrounded by thieves including some of the people who deliver our packages.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 AM

450 posts, read 475,131 times
Crimes like these are in a worst case scenario a slap on the wrist. They aren't punished because our politicians won't let nypd do their job. Same goes for pooping and doing drugs in the street.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times
Fake news! Crime is down, haven't you been listening to the Mayor and the ex-Comish.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Clearly surrounded by thieves including some of the people who deliver our packages.
We had something for next day for our office. We know who the UPS delivery person is because our building is big and basically there’s a UPS truck on the block all day delivering stuff. We’re tracking it closely because it was urgently needed. All of a sudden, the package said “delivered” and signed by “office”. My blood pressure started to boil. We were all in our offices and we didn’t hear anyone come to the front door to deliver. I get on the phone and call UPS.

A rep. tells me they have to investigate and that it could take DAYS to find out what happened to the package. I said “WHAT??!?” Demanded that someone call me back immediately with an update, given that the package was already a day late. Got a phone call back... Half an hour later, package arrives. No explanation of what happened, though it was likely delivered to the wrong place.

I never get anything delivered home now unless I will be there. Either it is delivered to my office (mainly with FedEx) and the FedEx guy I know well. Always makes sure my packages are delivered timely and not damaged. Otherwise I have it sent to my storage unit and they call me immediately after they get anything for me so I can get it when I have time to stop by.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We had something for next day for our office. We know who the UPS delivery person is because our building is big and basically there’s a UPS truck on the block all day delivering stuff. We’re tracking it closely because it was urgently needed. All of a sudden, the package said “delivered” and signed by “office”. My blood pressure started to boil. We were all in our offices and we didn’t hear anyone come to the front door to deliver. I get on the phone and call UPS.

A rep. tells me they have to investigate and that it could take DAYS to find out what happened to the package. I said “WHAT??!?” Demanded that someone call me back immediately with an update, given that the package was already a day late. Got a phone call back... Half an hour later, package arrives. No explanation of what happened, though it was likely delivered to the wrong place.

I never get anything delivered home now unless I will be there. Either it is delivered to my office (mainly with FedEx) and the FedEx guy I know well. Always makes sure my packages are delivered timely and not damaged. Otherwise I have it sent to my storage unit and they call me immediately after they get anything for me so I can get it when I have time to stop by.
He or she got busted so they brought it back. Shifty AF. I remember those days and even though my building is full service, if small enough and delivered to the wrong mailbox - they can and will still steal it (has happened to me) surrounded by thieves at work and at home....

Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
He or she got busted so they brought it back. Shifty AF. I remember those days and even though my building is full service, if small enough and delivered to the wrong mailbox - they can and will still steal it (has happened to me) surrounded by thieves at work and at home....
I think this guy just delivered it to the wrong office. I have seen him when in the elevator. He seems to leave packages on various floors. I don't get it at all. Most of what I get requires a signature, so they have to come inside the office for me to sign.

One thing I caution people against is using Laser Ship. They are by far the WORST company. Vitacost started using them and I called up Vitacost and told them either they switch me to FedEx or UPS or they are losing my business. They agreed to use FedEx for all of my orders and I have been doing my usual orders with them. Before that with Laser Ship, they would lie and say that my package was left with the service that I use to get my packages, which I knew was a lie because any packages I get with that service is signed for, so they can't just leave it outside of the building or at the dock area.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Packages go missing all the time in my building. It’s a frequent occurrence to have something marked as “delivered” only to check the package closet and your package isn’t there. We did uncover a package thief a few years ago. Someone not living in the building who somehow had a key fob (maybe an ex dog walker or something like that) who was entering the building to steal packages.

Other times packages have not been delivered but marked as delivered via tracking numbers, and then “magically” show up the next day (the day after it was supposedly delivered). We suspect a lazy mailman/UPS to be the culprit- meaning the delivery person will mark it as delivered but doesn’t feel like making any more deliveries that day so will deliver it the next day or the day after.

There was only one package of mine that has been totally lost (likely stolen) and I was annoyed because it was a antique alarm clock that I really wanted for my bedroom decor. It wasn’t worth filing a claim because the package was marked as “delivered” and I’d have to go through a series of annoying steps to file a claim. The clock wasn’t that expensive though so it wasn’t worth the effort.

Amazon gets demonized a lot but one of the reasons I love ordering from them is it’s very easy to have lost/damaged packages re delivered with a new item or refunded if damaged. It’s also just as easy to rerun things. I suspect the increase in package thefts are due to the “Amazon factor” where thieves know how easy it is to have a lost package replaced. The ease of ordering from places like Amazon also means that people order a lot more online- I know I do.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think this guy just delivered it to the wrong office. I have seen him when in the elevator. He seems to leave packages on various floors. I don't get it at all. Most of what I get requires a signature, so they have to come inside the office for me to sign.

One thing I caution people against is using Laser Ship. They are by far the WORST company. Vitacost started using them and I called up Vitacost and told them either they switch me to FedEx or UPS or they are losing my business. They agreed to use FedEx for all of my orders and I have been doing my usual orders with them. Before that with Laser Ship, they would lie and say that my package was left with the service that I use to get my packages, which I knew was a lie because any packages I get with that service is signed for, so they can't just leave it outside of the building or at the dock area.
Still giving him the side eye. It's nice when they acknowledge their error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City