Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/story/2020/01/03/nyc...ns-coming-edc/

The NYC Ferry saw increased ridership in 2019 from the previous year, according to figures released Thursday by the NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC), which owns the aquatic transport system.

In 2019, 6.3 million people rode NYC Ferry, a 32 percent increase from 2018 and a 38 percent increase from projections made back in 2015, according to Seth Myers, NYC EDC Executive Vice President and Director of Project Implementation. That brings the system’s total ridership number to 14 million since NYC Ferry’s launch in May 2017.

The increase in ridership includes all original routes and those new routes launched in 2018.

Last summer alone saw 2.5 million riders on the system, a 32 percent jump from 2018. Ridership on the four original routes, East River, Rockaway, South Brooklyn and Astoria, increased 15 percent from the previous year.

The Lower East Side and Soundview routes, which both launched in August 2018, had 23 percent ridership increases in fall 2019 over fall 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 03:03 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://qns.com/story/2020/01/03/nyc...ns-coming-edc/

The NYC Ferry saw increased ridership in 2019 from the previous year, according to figures released Thursday by the NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC), which owns the aquatic transport system.

In 2019, 6.3 million people rode NYC Ferry, a 32 percent increase from 2018 and a 38 percent increase from projections made back in 2015, according to Seth Myers, NYC EDC Executive Vice President and Director of Project Implementation. That brings the system’s total ridership number to 14 million since NYC Ferry’s launch in May 2017.

The increase in ridership includes all original routes and those new routes launched in 2018.

Last summer alone saw 2.5 million riders on the system, a 32 percent jump from 2018. Ridership on the four original routes, East River, Rockaway, South Brooklyn and Astoria, increased 15 percent from the previous year.

The Lower East Side and Soundview routes, which both launched in August 2018, had 23 percent ridership increases in fall 2019 over fall 2018.
Good, then city can stop all the deep subsidies, let all that increased ridership pay for service.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:19 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Good, then city can stop all the deep subsidies, let all that increased ridership pay for service.
Yea, I really hope this means a curtailment on the subsidies or an expansion without further subsidies and amortizing the cost over a larger pool so its per capita subsidy is much lower.

I’m still in favor of a unified transit pass for the Tri-State Area covering all modes that has a higher sticker price and a “reduced” price for residents that’s close to the rates right now. It’s essentially how London runs its transit system.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I really hope this means a curtailment on the subsidies or an expansion without further subsidies and amortizing the cost over a larger pool so its per capita subsidy is much lower.

I’m still in favor of a unified transit pass for the Tri-State Area covering all modes that has a higher sticker price and a “reduced” price for residents that’s close to the rates right now. It’s essentially how London runs its transit system.
And Tokyo. Run for office, I'd vote for you!

Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
And Tokyo. Run for office, I'd vote for you!
Campaigning looks pretty miserable though

Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 AM

155 posts, read 121,150 times
I'll say that ridership on the Soundview route has really increased on the weekdays. This winter, they even added an earlier ferry at 5:25 AM. The weekend service, however, saw a major reduction in service.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
I'll say that ridership on the Soundview route has really increased on the weekdays. This winter, they even added an earlier ferry at 5:25 AM. The weekend service, however, saw a major reduction in service.
Yea, I’m surprised by the Soundview service. If there was an expansion on the docket, then I think going out to Throgs Neck near SUNY Maritime College makes sense and then having a secondary home base of sorts there where students can intern in helping maintain and operate could be good, but that level of government cooperation is probably difficult to get to.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:14 PM

155 posts, read 121,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I’m surprised by the Soundview service. If there was an expansion on the docket, then I think going out to Throgs Neck near SUNY Maritime College makes sense and then having a secondary home base of sorts there where students can intern in helping maintain and operate could be good, but that level of government cooperation is probably difficult to get to.

Service to Throgs Neck at Ferry Point Park on the Soundview line is scheduled for next year, which would be great for Throgs Neck residents and another alternative to the BxM9 for Midtown service at a fraction of the cost.

At that point, however, I can see how all seats can easily be occupied between Throgs Neck and Soundview stops. East 90th will be SRO most of the time.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
Service to Throgs Neck at Ferry Point Park on the Soundview line is scheduled for next year, which would be great for Throgs Neck residents and another alternative to the BxM9 for Midtown service at a fraction of the cost.

At that point, however, I can see how all seats can easily be occupied between Throgs Neck and Soundview stops. East 90th will be SRO most of the time.
I know they planned that, but a stop at Ferry Point Park is ridiculous. It's near no residences or employment and has no connecting bus service. I keep thinking that it must surely be an error.

The little bend right off of Pennysfield Avenue next to SUNY Maritime College has the Bx40 service right there and another bus service can supplement that pretty easily. The area is within walking distance of many residences, the school has 1,700 students and dozens of employees, and right next to it is the Navy Operational Support Center.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-06-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: