Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 11:17 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I know a lot of places I go to have not claimed their yelp pages. There's one place that I've been going for years and still only have the same waitress and workers while their business has been so busy. They have not expanded or done any improvements.

Profit margin with food biz is always still too low for them to make business improvements.
That might just mean that they're not tech/business savvy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Thanks, didn't know about Eat the World. Looks interesting. I am curious your experiences with places below 4.5 star ratings? I've found most to be just average/meh .. I will relax the criteria if they don't have many reviews. But places with hundreds of reviews and less than 4.5 I will avoid.. Too many better places to try instead..
Keep in mind, a lot of people will leave negative reviews just because they felt the customer service was i adequate, or are picky eaters. And a lot of people will be very satisfied with a place, but still only give it 4 stars.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You might find some interesting stuff on instagram. Just get an account and start following. Learn how tags work, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/queenseats/

Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 PM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Keep in mind, a lot of people will leave negative reviews just because they felt the customer service was i adequate, or are picky eaters. And a lot of people will be very satisfied with a place, but still only give it 4 stars.

Are there places with really good food but very bad service? If so, not sure I would want to eat at such a place.. The bad service would leave a bad taste in my mouth... I've always seen them go hand in hand.. Better service usually means more care and thought goes into the food...

Old 02-20-2020, 12:13 PM

105 posts, read 90,043 times
Quote:
Are there places with really good food but very bad service? If so, not sure I would want to eat at such a place.. The bad service would leave a bad taste in my mouth... I've always seen them go hand in hand.. Better service usually means more care and thought goes into the food...
Many Chinese restaurants have this problem.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
That might just mean that they're not tech/business savvy.
Blame boomers again, I spoke with a Russian immigrant and asked him where's kids? He said they work in the office and he would never want them work here at the restaurant. A lot of good ethnic eats are operated by older folks. I've had a lot of ethnic eats made by younger folks and something is just off and not authentic enough. I can get into debates with millennials about authenticity but a lot of newer trendy ethnic eats are just way off on the authenticity. It isn't only about tech/business savvy. In many countries such as Europe you don't need to be on Yelp to have good business. Only in America that we live in this connected world where people only rely on their smartphones to tell them what to do. Ask Gordon Ramsay, if you make good food, people will come.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 6,584 times
Quote:
When I am in the mood for a particular ethnic cuisine , I will search on google. I sort by price and only list places above 4.5 stars.. Just wondering if that's the best way? Is there a forum/blog dedicated to ethnic food reviews? Or is google reviews pretty much it?
You can't know without asking anyone. Find locals wherever you are. Maybe pay a friend of a friend to get you something from the local neighborhood fav. Ask someone nearby who looks friendly about authentic haunts in his area.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:29 PM

I would just be cautious about asking just anyone. The mere fact that someone is “a local” and/or a native of the country whose cuisine you’re seeking doesn’t mean they’re a good judge of food.

I have been to a few Colombian places with a Colombian friend, and afterwards my conclusion is she just doesn’t understand good food that well. I’d do better to look up local blogs by foodies who are interested in that kind i
If thing. Try googling Jeff Orlick. He may still have a blog and sometimes organizes events that I think only just cost for the food.

It’s too late for this one but here’s a sample
“Monday Feb. 17 we're doing a $20 Momokase - which means for $20, the chef gives us whatever they like - at the new Gorkhali on Roosevelt. Happy to welcome them to the neighborhood”

[https://www.facebook.com/events/6129...2901676199202/)

Old 02-20-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I would just be cautious about asking just anyone. The mere fact that someone is “a local” and/or a native of the country whose cuisine you’re seeking doesn’t mean they’re a good judge of food.

I have been to a few Colombian places with a Colombian friend, and afterwards my conclusion is she just doesn’t understand good food that well. I’d do better to look up local blogs by foodies who are interested in that kind i
If thing. Try googling Jeff Orlick. He may still have a blog and sometimes organizes events that I think only just cost for the food.

It’s too late for this one but here’s a sample
“Monday Feb. 17 we're doing a $20 Momokase - which means for $20, the chef gives us whatever they like - at the new Gorkhali on Roosevelt. Happy to welcome them to the neighborhood”

[https://www.facebook.com/events/6129...2901676199202/)
Exactly. If they're not a foodie themselves, they'll likely just recommend whatever their usual spot in their neighborhood is. Which would likely still be good, but not necessarily the best.
And people need to stop with this idea that ethnic food being cheaper = automatically better.

As for Colombian food though, I get the idea that working class Colombian food in general is hearty and satisfying, but pretty simple and not mindblowing. Not all cuisines are filled with mind blowing dishes, a la France or Mexico.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly. If they're not a foodie themselves, they'll likely just recommend whatever their usual spot in their neighborhood is. Which would likely still be good, but not necessarily the best.
And people need to stop with this idea that ethnic food being cheaper = automatically better.

As for Colombian food though, I get the idea that working class Colombian food in general is hearty and satisfying, but pretty simple and not mindblowing. Not all cuisines are filled with mind blowing dishes, a la France or Mexico.
Yes, I agree about Colombian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City