Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 04:17 AM

16,136 posts, read 6,881,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Miss Staten Island says she's bisexual, is banned from the island's St. Patrick's Day parade.

The homophobic bigots still bloom in the backwoods.
It might be a blessing that Buttigieg dropped out of the race lest we see more of these hate groups spewing their vugarity.

Anyone want to tell me AGAIN how liberal New York City is?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...cid=spartandhp
Opinion:
Pete made the right and smart choice to drop out. He is a talented young politician who has lined his war chest with a few
bucks and will take this investment into the future. He needs a few more years of experience and if he switches parties he
will be a huge success.

As far as the bisexual Miss Staten Island being banned from the Island's St. Patrick's Day Parade?
The public have spoken. It's a public parade. Respect the voice of the people.

Years ago as a rough young lad I hopped bar to bar kicking back shots of whiskey until drunk and
walked into a bar on the West Side filled with men who happen to like men. What did I do?
Did I demand all to get out? No.......Did I start a fight? No..............Did I remain in the establishment? No...........
I simply walked out and continued my pursuit of fire water elsewhere.................Simple. End of Story.

Hate Groups are created by those who wish to impose their
ideologies and thoughts on others against their will.
I say respect the choice of others and move on.
Less chance of a bloody nose.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:00 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,744 times
Quote:
Mr. Retired - As far as the bisexual Miss Staten Island being banned from the Island's St. Patrick's Day Parade?
The public have spoken. It's a public parade. Respect the voice of the people.

Years ago as a rough young lad I hopped bar to bar kicking back shots of whiskey until drunk and
walked into a bar on the West Side filled with men who happen to like men. What did I do?
Did I demand all to get out? No.......Did I start a fight? No..............Did I remain in the establishment? No...........
I simply walked out and continued my pursuit of fire water elsewhere.................Simple. End of Story.

Only problem is, you could substitute that bar with a Catholic seminary, and the boys club attitude within, is the same that told ordinary laypeople how to behave for centuries. We are seeing the effects of the revelations of abuse of all kinds from the powers that be, and they are more shameful than the coming outs, by far.

I don't see someone saying they are bisexual as pushing an agenda, when on the other hand, the family values crowd do the same for their side. The Irish heritage, slash Catholic angle to this is not a smart one to use in light of what has happened in Ireland in the past decade. I used to live in Ireland in the eighties, and as much as I loved it, the progress toward more comfort for all, is a much happier outcome. The Irish voted for abortion rights, and gay marriage, and released themselves from a form of obedience that was outdated and unfair.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
It's inappropriate to fly a pride banner and rainbow flags at a parade that honors St. Patrick and Irish heritage. There's no reason to do that except to cause controversy.
I agree. Not sure why it is necessary to tell the world what you do in your bedroom. This goes for Heterosexuals and Homosexuals.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 AM

11,361 posts, read 16,730,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
One of the "best," because Staten Island has many, many beautiful women....!!!!
Guess you didn't see my sarcasm.

She, is no way one of the "best".

Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 AM

16,136 posts, read 6,881,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Only problem is, you could substitute that bar with a Catholic seminary, and the boys club attitude within, is the same that told ordinary laypeople how to behave for centuries. We are seeing the effects of the revelations of abuse of all kinds from the powers that be, and they are more shameful than the coming outs, by far.

I don't see someone saying they are bisexual as pushing an agenda, when on the other hand, the family values crowd do the same for their side. The Irish heritage, slash Catholic angle to this is not a smart one to use in light of what has happened in Ireland in the past decade. I used to live in Ireland in the eighties, and as much as I loved it, the progress toward more comfort for all, is a much happier outcome. The Irish voted for abortion rights, and gay marriage, and released themselves from a form of obedience that was outdated and unfair.

Opinion:

The voice of the Irish people in your example have spoken as a whole to which I agree.

The happy outcome for an enclave of dwellers whether it be a borough
such as Staten Island ,neighborhood ,county or a tiny village of 100 may
hold a different opinion.

Happiness belongs to the community in which is happy
to abide by their own governing body , rules and regulations.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-03-2020 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 08:15 AM

1,107 posts, read 554,101 times
Quote:
Why though?

She's Italian, maybe part Irish, maybe not, but why did the marshals think it was appropriate to have Miss Staten Island in the parade, and then not to have her once she came out about being bi.

What does it matter?
They didn't ban her because she came out. Gay people are not banned from marching in parades. But they want to march under a pride banner and they want to wave rainbow flags. Do you not see how that is inappropriate? First, because it is not a pride parade; second, because being gay has nothing at all to do with St. Patrick or being Irish, so there's no relevancy to it; and (3) homosexuality is still a sin in Catholicism, in which St. Patrick is a saint.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
AND that is exactly what some non-Staten Islanders are trying to do here....!!!!:
Because this issue is not about Staten Island. It's about honoring the tradition of St. Patrick's Day.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
They didn't ban her because she came out. Gay people are not banned from marching in parades. But they want to march under a pride banner and they want to wave rainbow flags. Do you not see how that is inappropriate? First, because it is not a pride parade; second, because being gay has nothing at all to do with St. Patrick or being Irish, so there's no relevancy to it; and (3) homosexuality is still a sin in Catholicism, in which St. Patrick is a saint.

That controversy is probably a good reason for those who want that state of affairs to change. There used to be Orangemen that would descend on St Patrick's day parades in NYC, Boston, Montreal, in olden days. I am not thinking of contaminating by provocation, but it seems to me that this brings attention to the issue of inclusion. Things will change, and the Catholic church will open up on the subject of sexuality, instead of dictating outdated dogma.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
That controversy is probably a good reason for those who want that state of affairs to change. There used to be Orangemen that would descend on St Patrick's day parades in NYC, Boston, Montreal, in olden days. I am not thinking of contaminating by provocation, but it seems to me that this brings attention to the issue of inclusion. Things will change, and the Catholic church will open up on the subject of sexuality, instead of dictating outdated dogma.
We have freedom of religion in this country. If you don't agree with Catholicism, then don't be Catholic, but you don't get to decide what Catholics should believe. And the Supreme Court has ruled (unanimously, I might add) that parade organizers get to decide who can march in their parades and who can't based on the message they convey.

Last edited by 562026; 03-03-2020 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-03-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We have freedom of religion in this country. If you don't agree with Catholicism, then don't be Catholic, but you don't get to decide what Catholics should believe. And the Supreme Court has ruled (unanimously, I might add) that parade organizers get to decide who can march in their parades and who can't based on the message they convey.

Totally.

Like I said, what the young lady is doing is opening up the debate. She opened a door to have it shut in her face. She had an agenda, you could call in a "hidden a-gender" in this case.

I wish her well. This opens up debate for people who have faith in catholicism but are also questioning the exclusion of people on account of their natural (some will call it God-given) attraction to their sex. Of course, the argument of sinfulness disqualifies so many people in the church as does everything else that doesn't fit in little boxes as regards humanity, that the point remains moot what this all means, in the minds of church or parade organizers.

Either way, I respect the right of these people to judge what fits in their parade. Public demonstrations have always been a starting point for debate, and even those who in the past, co-opted these events, historically had a stake in changing attitudes, laws and the rest of it. Think of the suffragettes who co-opted political demonstrations at the dawn of the 20th century...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: